?? flare up

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all

I was diagnosed with diverticula disease in March 2012 following a period of diarrhea christmas/new year 2011. This was done via a colonoscopy where the sigmoid colon and descending colon were observed to have diverticular disease. This was never discussed with me by either the hospital or my GP. I have since moved area and discovered that my records have no record of this taking place - luckily I found my copy report and have passed this to the GP (who didn't seem to know what to do with it until I suggested they keep it with my records and put a note of it on file). 

Over the last year I have had a few bouts of abdominal pain and constipation/diarrhea. The Dr's seem to think this is related to a potential ovarian issue and the last time I went the put me on antibiotics for PID and referred my to a gynocologist. The found no cysts (I had my right ovary removed around 5 years ago due to a cyst) but think that the left side pain is down to an enlarged ovary which they are planning on removing. Prescribed co-codamol for the pain, buscopan for bowel spasms (did no good at all so not taking).

I think that this may have been a flare up from the symptoms I have have read on this forum?? I have now got the same sort of pain again, hurts to sit, hurts to stand, hurts to walk, feels marginally better after getting rid of wind and BM. Still taking co-codomal when I can't sleep due to the pain - but if it is DD then this could make it worse?

Anyone got any thoughts? Should I go back to the Drs or should I just ring and ask for a prescription? If so what for? Bulk forming laxatives? Antibiotics? Should I be requesting a further colonoscopy? 

Sorry for all the questions..I'm only just looking into this as a possible cause for my abdominal pain despite being diagnosed nearly three years ago. None of this was explained to me or followed up...so I'm really playing catch up here. 

Apologies in advance if I don't reply to posts immediately, we live in the sticks and internet is a bit flakey to say the least and I don't always have acces to the PC. I will reply as I am keen to learn all about this disease I have and how to prevent flare ups as much as possible.

Thank you in advance 

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like a CT scan might be the better procedure to find out more about your various abdominal problems.  Certainly needs consideration in-the-round (holistically) as you could well have more than one issue, for sure.  I just hope one department can look at the bigger picture - in one go!

Go for it. Good luck.

BTW, I had a Diverticulosis diagnosis around 2012 too.  Mine has not yet (touch wood) ever taken me to a flare.  Good management, I'd say!  ... or just luck?

Cheers,

Pete. 

• Posted

Thanks for your reply - not sure that I can persuade any of them to look at the whole issue, the apporach seems to be one at a time or nothing at all........still I will give it a go next time I get to see amyone, current waiting list for the GP is over 10 days (not sure what you are supposed to do if you are ill !?@*!)

I have been reading loads of posts here and have seen your one on management...seems as though you have found something that works for you...yay!! I also get the feeling that there is a plethora of different symptoms and the same again of different management techniques, you just need to find one that works for you!! Here the luck comes in, and...you have!!! More Yay!! 

Going to try the barzen approach and ring up and ask for a prescription of something (not sure yet what to go for? Laxatives or antibiotics) and hope that it prompts a request to come in and see a GP sooner than December! 

Thanks again, I'm sure we will bump into one another again on the forum :-)

Helen

• Posted

A&E should be your next stop ASAP Your doc sounds as useful as a chocolate

teapot. Don't hang on thinking it will go away it won't

Read all the Diverticula forums you will find lots of info, and you have found 

the right people to talk to 

A&E now if possible 

Jacqui

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Jacqui. Have just returned after a weekend of celebrating my sonas 21st - lots of water, painkillers, and the odd laxative seems to have clamed things down. I almost dived to A&E but just couldn't let my son down (or worry him) :-(

Made it through and things are feeling better, I will however be pestering my GP and continue to get support from here.

Helen

• Posted

What I do is break a fiber pill in three pieces take one third at night take a stool softener  at night the pain is usually on the left side according to my gi doc he really did not give me a lot of instructions once he figured out that it wasn't something more serious it's just like routtineto them so I think a lot of people have this because we don't eat enough fiber in our diet he also gave me an anti-acid pill called Pantoprazole which I take once a day sometimes twice a day I have to really watch the diet look up the diet on the web food with skins food with seeds nuts are all big problems for this dd. I went in because I had a bleed  and the ER     doctor actually told me much more information than the G.I. doctor so keep looking on the web and reading about the diet and you'll come off a lot easier. My biggest problem was my diet that's where it all started every night for several years I would eat ice cream with almonds in it then I started having pain on my left side lower ab then I took steroids for arthritis and I took hydrocodone for pain that's when I got the bleed so you have to watch the meds as well 
  • Posted

What I do is break a fiber pill in three pieces take one third at night take a stool softener  at night the pain is usually on the left side according to my gi doc he really did not give me a lot of instructions once he figured out that it wasn't something more serious it's just like routtineto them so I think a lot of people have this because we don't eat enough fiber in our diet he also gave me an anti-acid pill called Pantoprazole which I take once a day sometimes twice a day I have to really watch the diet look up the diet on the web food with skins food with seeds nuts are all big problems for this dd. I went in because I had a bleed  and the ER     doctor actually told me much more information than the G.I. doctor so keep looking on the web and reading about the diet and you'll come off a lot easier. My biggest problem was my diet that's where it all started every night for several years I would eat ice cream with almonds in it then I started having pain on my left side lower ab then I took steroids for arthritis and I took hydrocodone for pain that's when I got the bleed so you have to watch the meds as well 
    • Posted

Thanks for you reply, I have thought of taking stool softeners and ensuring that food stays as short a time as possible travelling through (tmi??) looking at my diet now so that I can try and avoid problematic foods as much as possible - looks like a trial and error process with no consistent do's and don'ts with everyone who has this.

Helen

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.