"Flicker" in peripheral vision when moving eyes.

Posted , 21 users are following.

I am starting to freak out. a few days ago when looking in the fridge i noticed the lights in the fridge flicker as i moved my eyes from the top of the fridge to the bottom. I retraced the eye movements and realized it wasn't actually the lights flickering it was my eyes making it appear as though it was. Ever since then i have noticed the "flickering" when i move my eyes and i think i've seen it without moving them aswell, always in my peripheral vision. The best way i can describe it is it looks like a sudden flicker of a lightbulb aka it is a dark flicker. I hope someone can help me as i am afraid it may be retinal detachment

2 likes, 85 replies

85 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi everyone my names Taylor and I'm 16. So about 2 years ago I woke up and noticed that if I shook my head I would see in between my central and peripheral vision there was a grayish blackish spot or blob that would appear in my vision on both eyes. It has gotten worse ever since then but I still really only see these spots if I move my head but if I don't move my head I don't see them. I also see visual snow, flickers of light and floaters. The flickers flashes and floaters all started before I started seeing the greyish blackish blob like spots. I also have slight double vision. Over the course of these 2 years I have seen 2 eye doctors one was a optometrist and the other was a ophthalmologist. They said their was nothing wrong with my eyes or retina. But the conditions have gotten worse and no one believes me. When I told my primary care physician he acted like I was crazy. I'm not crazy! I don't know what to do this condition has caused me to become very depressed as I live in constant fear of uncertainty. It has literally caused me to withdraw from school where I used to be popular and have a lot of friends but over these 2 years I have withdrawn from everything. I don't know what to do.

• Posted

Hi Taylor

I can really imagine your anxiety. I don't know if you've read my first post on here or maybe second. I went to A&E after my symptoms of 6months suddenly worsened. Mine started with like a shadowy flickering in my peripheral, then I was seeing a blobbing like a lava lamp. I also now realize that my floaters had changed. I had one like a worm and one spidery one. Then started the streak of light that flashed when I moved my eyes from side to side. Also a blind spot and shadow. When I was first examined I was told nothing was wrong, I knew something wasn't right so he took another closer look. Then he saw my retina was detached plus numerous holes. 3 days later I had surgery.

It's scary when you feel something is wrong to be told it isn't. I hope in your case they are right, but keep at them if you feel it's wrong.

Good Luck.

• Posted

Hi Elisabeth, my symptoms seem similar to yours, did you see like a blob type thing in between your central and peripheral vision when you moved your head and eyes side to side? 
    • Posted

Hi Taylor,

I can imagine your frustrstion when you are noticing these symptoms but being told nothing is wrong. With it being your eyes you notice it constantly too dont you as it is not like you can just ignore it popping up over your visual field! It is good that you have been seen by eye doctors though but if you still feel that its getting worse as you say, i would just go back if it will put your mind at ease. If they say all is fine i would ask if they can explain why you are seeing these floaters/flickers etc if nothing is wrong and you may feel reassured.

Good luck

Jo

• Posted

Hi Taylor.

I saw and still see like a clear blob of blur in my peripheral, if that makes sense, when I look to my side. If you ever see a dark shadow or like a dark curtain coming over your vision, that could be a sign to go to A&E like I did, as it could be a sign of detachment.   

Elisabeth.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.