"Gat-Goren" - like procedure to cure BPH? My diary

Posted , 20 users are following.

On May 2nd I will be undergoing a bilateral embolization (or sclerotization) of my internal spermatic veins ( gonadal veins ) in an attempt to cure my BPH disease. So I just wanted to start a record here of my experience.

Here is some background.

Drs. Gat and Goren are interventional radiologists in Israel who have been treating infertility in men for many decades. They noticed over the decades that when they embolized incompetent internal spermatic veins (ISVs) which caused the varicoceles in these men, that many men who had BPH were also cured of their BPH symptoms.

They noticed that every man who had BPH also had varicoceles in one or both testes. They theorized that the high back pressure from these very long (35cm) failed veins which drain the testes and the prostate was causing very high concentrations free testosterone to bath the prostate. This growth hormone they claimed was the cause of the hyperplasia of the prostate. So by sealing these long veins the "fuel" that is driving the prostate "fire" will be cut off and the prostate will return to normal.

I have some papers on this procedure and some clinical trials and I will list them later on. If anyone wants them PM me with your email and I'll send them to you.

So there is another forum started in 2012 which documents at least 18 men from around the world who went to Israel for this procedure. Most had their BPH cured. Of course it was very very expensive.

That is the beauty about the GG procedure - it offers a cure for BPH and not just symptom relief. BUT it is considered very very experimental. Even the interventional radiologists (IR) do not believe in it. So here is the point of all this. The GG procedure is just the basic treatment for varicoceles. So if you have been diagnosed with these awful things then a good IR can emolize them with a few caveats (like sealing any collaterals that opne up during the procedure) and the procedure is covered by insurance.

So last month I decided to get checked out for varicoceles. I had a scrotal color doppler bilateral ultrasound nd sure enough there were 2 big honkers there. They have been bothering me for years - I have to sit on soft pads all the time and pull up my scrotum frequently. Apparently varicoceles increase the weight of the scrotum because of blood pooling which causes the "balls to drop".

Here is my brief bio: I am 68 with BPH for over 20 years. I am on alfuzosin and dutasteride these past 13 years. I had a PAE last summer which was a huge technical success but a clinical failure as my IPSS score has remained at 30. I learned intermittent self-cathing from jimjames here (CIC) last Fall and perform it 4 times a day. My natural voids are 150ml and the cathing voids are 250ml. If it weren't for CIC I would have had my 180 gm prostate out a year ago. I have no bladder neck obstructions or other complications. The PAE did reduce my prostate from 280 to 180 gm but all the tissue reduction was away from the urethral constriction where i matters. I have been tested for prostate cancer many times and am ok.

So that's it. Please feel free to post any comments or questions. If the GG procedure works then it takes from 6 months to a year to see results. That is why I am grateful for CIC to keep my bladder/kidneys healthy in the meantime. If GG fails after a year then I will likely try FLA with Dr. K in Houston.

Take care

Neil

1 like, 117 replies

117 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Neil,

Do I understand correctly that you do not have an enlarged median lobe?  do you know what GG's results are for those with enlarged median lobes compared to those who do not have enlarged median lobes?

Thanks a lot and good luck to you!

• Posted

Thanks arlington.  I do not have any median lobe obstructing the bladder neck opening. That was based on a cystoscopy last year. But I do have two huge side lobes in the periurethral zone that clamps down on the uerthra where the prostate starts. It takes forever to get through that region with the catheter.

I know that Dr. Gat refused men with any type of bladder neck obstruction. I followed 18 guys on another forum who had the procedure by Dr. Gat since 2012 and all were helped except for one who had a large median lobe.

But I can tell you that I would try this procedure regardless of general conditions because we are all very different and you never know how it will turn out. Even Dr. Gat cannot say for sure how it works in detail.

Thanks for the good wishes.  I hope it works.

Neil

• Posted

Interesting.   During your discussion with your doctor(s), was there any discussion regarding vastectomies and BPH?  That is, do they think there is any link?
    • Posted

That's an interesting point. I could imagnie some connection. I will mention it to my IR just before he puts me out.

There is another procedure similar to the GG embolization that is performed by urologists. It is called a microsurgical varicocelectomy. This procedure just goes in and severes the base of the gonadal veins and ties them off. Then there is no way for these longs veins to create a high back pressure to the prostate and spray it with free testosterone. It is a more direct procedure and does not have the difficulties associated with embolizing the right gonadal vein that GG has. It is used to treat really bad varicoceles but when I reviewed it it seemed like a vasectomy. I didn't elect it because it requires a general rather than conscious sedation.

I wonder though if  a vasectomy might help prevent BPH if the GG theory is correct since it would prevent Free T from ever leaving the testes? I will ask about this.

• Posted

I wrote my urologist and asked him your question. He said he was not aware of any link, but of course that does not mean there isn't one.

Why don't you post your question on a new thread here? I'm sure there are lots of men out there who have had vasectomies that would respond. I find the only place to get to the truth on these issues is forums like this one.

• Posted

Neil and Glenn, 

I had a vasectomy 25 years ago when I was 40 years old. That was 1991. I dont know what this means for BPH or back flow of Free T., but I know it worked as advertised and I know I later had BPH which developed enough for me to realize it by the time I was 56 years old. I lived with it until 65 when I then had the Focal Laser Ablation done and it greatly improved all my symptoms. So as far as I know the vasectomy did not help in preventing BPH at least in my case. 

John

• Posted

FWIW - just looking at the anatomy of the vas deferens vesicle and its accompanying blood supply/drainage vessels, I would think that a vasectomy would reduce the chances of getting BPH if the Gat-Goren model is correct.

The reason is that the veins which drain the vas deferens (which is severed in a vasectomy) carry some of the excess pressure due to the valve failures in the gonadal veins to the prostate. So if the arteries and veins are cut along with the vas deferens during the vasectomy procedure then the high pressure would not be transmitted to the prostate which GG say is partially repsonsible for BPH.

But the main problem arises in the veins themselves according to GG and it is the blood draining the testes that carry the high concentrations of Free T back to the heart and the main circulation under normal conditions when the gonadal veins are working ok.

The vas deferens are tubes carrying just sperm but they do form another link between the testes and the prostate so maybe it should help having them cut.

Just talking here - the plumbing in that area is so complicated - the best way is to just gather statistics of which you are the first John! Thanks.

• Posted

This is all very interesting Neil, especially since I aso have a large vericose vein in my scrotum. Had it for as long as I can remember and the docs just say leave it alone. 

So are you saying that your upcoming embolization is exactly the same as Gat Goren?

I assume your doc is aware your motivation is BPH relief and not other vein related issues? What does he think about doing the embolization for bph? What kind of risks with the procedure?

Probably hard to do, but have you found any cases where PAE failed and GG worked? I always thought they were similar, but doesn't seem so by your explanation.

Anyway, sounds like you researched this out and wish you all the luck. Please keep us posted.

Jim

• Posted

Hi Jim,

The IR who will be performing my embolization is aware of the Gat-Goren procedure and its history. He is interested in it but I had to show him I had bilateral varicoceles before he would agree to the procedure. The scrotal ultrasound he did confirmed it for him but I knew I had them anyway because of the discomfort I have had sitting for many years.

The Gat-Goren procedure is basically the same as the sclerotization procedure for sealing varicoceles. I guess " the devil is in the details" and Dr. Gat has many tricks up his sleeve when it comes to doing it but other IRs have done it for BPH with great success.

I recall from another forum where the guys who had Dr. Gat do it that one of them had had PAE earlier which failed while GG worked ok.

The main difference is that PAE embolizes arteries leading into the prostate while GG embolizes veins which drain the testes and prostate. So relatively speaking it is a much safer procedure than PAE.

The two procedures are very different. PAE tries to cut off normal blood flow while GG tries to restore normal blood flow by emboloizing incompetent veins.

Here are 2 papers you might like. The German paper did their own study to confirm GG on men with BPH. If you have trouble getting them PM me with your email and I will send them to you.

Thanks for your good wishes. And thanks for teaching me CIC - otherwise I would not have a prostate now to still play with!

1. " Treatment of Benign Prostate Hyperplasia by Occlusion of the Impaired Urogenital Venous System - First Experience", H. Strunk et al 2015.

2. "Reversal of benign prostate hyperplasia by selective occlusion of impaired venous drainage in the male reproductive system: novel mechanism, new treatment", Y. Gat et al. 2008

• Posted

Jim - I forgot to mention that there may also be an edema component to BPH in general if the GG model is correct. Edema is often casued by impaired fluid drainage out of tissues by the venous and lymph vessels.

So if GG is correct then the prostate tissues may be expanded by excess fluids since the main drainage veins from the prostate (the gonadal or internal seprmatic veins) have failed.

This edema can cause tissue irritation and inflammation which could be BPH. So sealing these big incompetent veins and their high back pressure may relieve the prostate edema and the BPH ... or maybe not.

Neil

• Posted

Neil,

Just curious if you have discussed this with Dr. K? I thought you said you went to him for a procedure. Since he is an IR, and seems open to finding a cure for BPH, wondering what his thoughts were?

• Posted

Hi Motoman,

Yes - I did discuss this procedure with Dr. K at length when I went to him for my biopsy in Feb. In fact he was the one who used the term "GG". He also thinks it is experimental but he was willing to set up a scrotal ultrasound for me while I was in Houston to see if I really did have varicoceles. But I couldn't do it then because of time restrictions.

I have kept him in the loop on my procedure. He knows Dr. Vartanian and highly recommends him. Dr. K wrote "Excellent" when I told him I was going to try it.

But Dr. K just wants to focus on FLA (no pun intended) for cancer and BPH and does not want to look at other methods like PAE and GG which he considers indirect and experimental compared to FLA.

• Posted

Dear Diary ....

A week to go and starting to anticipate being cured of this disease.

Dr. Vartanian was very kind to order me a Medrol Dosepack of 10mg prednisone tapered out over a week. I was very worried about any inflammation interfereing with my marginal natural voids and my self-cathing (CIC). As far as I know none of the guys who had GG were self-cathing and Dr. V does not usually treat men with BPH. So the Dosepack will help me get home ok (5 hour drive) and give the initial illusion that the procedure worked as it did with my PAE last summer.

Also I was thinking about how to objectively measure improvemets after the procedure. The IPSS score is too subjective. I keep a record of my natural voids (NV) and catheter voids (CV) which follow the NV immediately. I self cath 4 times a day. During the days the volumes are pretty good ( NV: 150ml  CV: 250ml). But at night I turn into peezilla. My records show that between 3 am and 6 am I have a minimal NV of 50ml followed by CV of 500 to 700ml. This happens every night regardless of fluid intake. I cath before bedtime usually at 11:30pm.

So I think this will be my objective measure of progress after GG. I will monitor improvements in the 3 am to 6am NV and CV over time.  Hopefully the NV will increase and the CV will decrease.

Neil

• Posted

Hi Neil,

Do you CIC during the night.  I've started doing that.  It at least ensures that I'm only going to have to get up once!

I also CIC about 4 times during the day - but the first 2 volumes are usually about 500ml.

What is your daily liquid intake?

Best of luck!

• Posted

Hi arlington - thanks for the good wishes - I am getting nervous with all these procedures - maybe this one will work and that will be that!

I do CIC at 7 am; 2pm and 11pm. The ones at 2pm and 11 pm and pretty good. First I NV about 150 to 200ml and then CV about 200ml. I used to do one at 4 am and will have to restart that one because my 7 am NV is maybe 100 ml but my CV ranges from 500 to 700ml which is way too high. Also I tend to wake at 4am anyway with a lot of pressure in my abdomen but I don't want to get up and CIC because once the lights come on I cannot get back to sleep. But I don't sleep well anyway after 4 am so I will add that CIC back in tonight as these volume are much much too high.

I drink about 1500ml each day - mostly water and cranberry juice. So with 300ml from food and 200ml from the metabolization process I think it is ok.

Also between my CICs I NV about 3 times ok between 150 and 200ml each NV.

Take care.

Neil

• Posted

Thanks Neil.  I've had exactly the same experience during the night - but take some comfort in knowing once I CIC I'm good 'til morning.

My NV/CIC ratio was about 1/1 for 2 years (one before and one after my PAE).  Then, about 9 months after the PAE, My NV has dropped off to the point where it is almost nonexistent (maybe 30cc's per week!).  Very discouraging. 

I'm looking forward to hearing your good news!

Can you tell me the size of your prostate and whether you have an enlarged median lobe?

• Posted

Thanks arlington. I do not have a median lobe at all - thankfully. I just have 2 huge side lobes that cause my problem.

In 2011 my prostate was measured by a transrectal u/s to be 150gm. Then in 2016 it was meausred the same way to be 280gm!  That was when I had PAE done (last Aug). Then in Nov. last year it was measured at 180 gm by MRI. And just 2 weeks ago it was measured by an abdominal u/s to be 200gm though that one was not accurate.

I found that if I take 2 tylenols after CIC at 3 or 4 am then I can get back to sleep but it is so hard to get out of bed after being awakened from a deep sleep but I guess we have to do it!

All the best to you.

• Posted

Thanks Neil.

Agreed about getting up, but, as you said, if we don't, then the rest of our sleep is p*ss poor anyway!

• Posted

Hi uncklefester,

As I understand it the median lobe is just a normal part of the prostate structure like the side lobes. But the problem with the median lobe is that it is located near the top of the prostate under the bladder neck region so when we get BPH and the prostate grows this part can do the most damage in restricting the bladder neck opening to the urethra.

It tends to grow up into the floor of the bladder and lift the bladder wall up and twist it causing all sorts of restrictions to urine flow.

Only about 10% of men do not have a median lobe so I was very lucky in this regard since with my condition it would have been game over a long time ago.

The best way to determine for sure if you have a median lobe is by a cystoscopy done by a uro. One of my uros told me I had a large median lobe based on a transrectal ultrasound but then I had a cystoscopy by another uro who directly viewed the urethra and into the bladder and he said I had none.

So I guess in some ways I am lucky. Kind of like winning the lottery and then having it all taxed back!

• Posted

Thanks neil. My last ct scan stated my prostate was pushing against my bladder wall. The uro that did my cystoscope said this as well. He didn't clarify what it meant. He tried to rush me into turp. Glad I left him.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.