'giving up gluten = lack of important nutrients'?!

Posted , 7 users are following.

True or false? My MIL tells me its the new fashion to go gluten free and that there are very important nutrients in gluten so by going gluten-free I'm putting my body at risk.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mary

I'm not sure why some people think this is "fashionable", I think it's just become more widely recognised that gluten can cause issues with various conditions (such as IBS, thyroid etc).

To my knowledge I don't think it causes lack of nutrition (I believe it's just a binding agent). People with cealiac disease have to avoid it, and I don't believe they substitute it for anything else. Im sure someone with correct me if I'm wrong.

As long as you have a varied and balanced diet I don't see the issue with cutting out gluten

• Posted

Thank u all for confirming for me!
  • Posted

To  Rabiah:

In response to your question.

There is no safe amount of Gluten.  Avoid all gluten containing foods and read labels at the market

Shelly

• Posted

It's not the gluten that has the nutrients, it's the fortified flour.

"Normal" bread has added B vitamins, calcium, vitamin D and iron. You just have to make sure you're getting those things elsewhere. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.