'HZ/su' - new shingles vaccine shoving promise in test

Posted , 5 users are following.

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/new-shingles-vaccine-works-better-n350566

http://www.gsk.com/en-gb/media/press-releases/2015/gsk-candidate-vaccine-for-the-prevention-of-shingles-demonstrates-overall-efficacy-of-972-which-does-not-diminish-in-the-age-groups-studied/

I am a sceptic regarding vaccines in general, but if this claimed 97% risk reduction turns out to be real, that would be quite amazing. I also like that unlike existing vaccine, this one does not rely on infecting you with the live virus.

About myself - I have recurring eye lid shingles on both sides. I am 40+, male, considering myself very healthy and never even catch a cold, so hard to understand why I get shingle outbreaks on my eyelids every other month. Luckily, my outbreaks are small and quite painless, unless I do bad things like alcohol or heavy work outs during outbreak. But having them in the eye is so scary to begin with..

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kriik,

Thanks for sharing this info on new vaccine. Ordinarily, I too, am skeptical of vaccines, but

will check into this further since I am still battling post shingles exhaustion, etc. I am 4+ months out from original shingles diagnosis; it was an extremely painful experience for 2+ months.

The recurring break outs on your eyelids must be disturbing. I have never heard of shingles without some degree of pain; have you gotten a second opinion, are you sure it's shingles?

Peace and blessings,

Joyce

• Posted

Hi Joyce

I am in the 11th month of shingles rehab and was told I cant have the vacine for  12 months after this bout.

Also have read,  we really should be immune by now and not need to have one.

So much info out there you dont know what to believe

Christine NZ

• Posted

Hi Christine,

Thanks for info about having to wait 12 months for vaccine. I'm 4+ months out from diagnosis and going thru the post shingles stuff...exhaustion, agitation, weepy, and flu symptoms that come and go. I had off the charts excruciating pain for 2+ months...I want to take every precaution hoping I never have to go thru it again!

You said you were 11 months in, wondering what symptoms you're battling this far out?

Peace and blessings,

Joyce

• Posted

Thanks for advice Joyce,

yes Ive considered testing them. I found a webpage claiming that shingles can be pain free in younger people. My spots look, feel and behave very similar to how I remember chickenpox spots, and the first few years, I had them on the right side of my torso. Ive had ones that stung and itched quite a bit also, but on average they are small and painless. (touch wood) I worry it will escalate with age though..

Back on topic, many countries have started vaccination programs for H. Zoster now, which means the world is becoming aware of how truly malicious this virus can be. That in itself is a very good thing. Especially the number of articles about shingles on the net, seems to grow exponentially lately.

Also, with the existing vaccine beeing quite expensive (150-200 USD) and not very effective, these vaccination programs leave a potential economic upside for companies to do further research on the disease.

There was one worrying detail about this new vaccine though. 11% reported 'severe' side effects. To me this says that all experience side effects, and that they are significant.

Kind regards,

kriirk

• Posted

Kiirk, I'm sure you're aware you should take an antiviral if it's shingles, preferably within 72 hrs of breakout. Yours sounds like a mild case if it's shingles.

Joyce

• Posted

Not excited about vaccines with adverse side effects!

• Posted

I am beginning to wonder if there is link between intense work out and shingles, maybe it has a badly impact on the immune systems, i was healthy just like you, then all suddenly started to get wrong since I become edicted to work out intensely??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.