"I do not prescribe narcotics." Dr. K

Posted , 4 users are following.

My father moved in with me in VT from NJ and recently started with a new doctor. He had been taking Hydrocodone 10mg tablets for pain for a number of years but he rarely took it (only taking it when in extreme pain) so a month's Rx would last him 3 or 4. When he asking about getting the Rx refilled, the doctor replied, "I do not prescribe narcotics."

How is this blanket statement okay in the mind of ANY DOCTOR!?

Get a job at McD's because you don't deserve what you are being paid to NOT DO your current job!

There are nights I can here my dad sobbing/crying in his room because the pain is so bad. I am appalled that any PCP would think it was ethical to "NOT prescribe narcotics" and am asking if there are any doctors out there that could help me to understand how this practice (or lack of) could be deemed ethical?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I am a pain management doctor, retired, and when the opioid epidemic happened a lot of primary care doctors realized that they just hadn't gotten the specialized training that we had gotten in pain medicine that allowed us to be comfortable when we prescribed narcotics. They felt very guilty about the epidemic and no longer wanted to prescribe them and decided to have all their patients who needed them go to pain management docs. Your Dad should have been referred to one, you don't just say no and not refer. That was the mistake. But, it is very common now for primary care docs to not write for narcotics. They merely realized that it is a lot more complicated to deal with chronic pain patients than they previously thought. That doctor is trying to avoid being responsible for overdose deaths. I know your Dad wouldn't do that, but that doctor made that decision in his heart. I would go back and ask for a pain doc referral.

• Posted

Hi JD, I understand your frustration and its heartbreaking to watch someone you love suffering...the Dr should have referred him to someone who specializes in pain management, most TRUE chronic pain patients just want their pain controlled and if it was dog poo that helped, they would use it (me included) but, in some cases there is only narcotics and patients shouldn't have to suffer and they can be given & used responsibly...I hope your Dad gets the help he needs and proper pain control, QUALITY of life just cannot be replaced...BEST WISHES💒🌈🎶♾💞🐾🍀☮

• Posted

It would seem that narcotics is a dangerous medication to take. Certain prescribed medication are for certain types of illnesses. Its all about what is most effective against the health issue, but least effective in causing alternative health issues.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.