"I want you to put this UroCuff around your penis"

Posted , 12 users are following.

One year after my Urolilft operation, I am back for my 2nd semi-annual Uroflow/bladder ultrasound test.  Pee in a container on a scale hooked up to a computer after drinking 1 qt/liter of water.  OK. 

I get into the room and the 20-something young woman says, "your doctor has ordered a UroCuff test while you are doing the Uroflow test".  She demonstrates are two of her fingers how to wrap the UroFlow cuff and points to the pictures of the cuff around an actual penis on the wall.  Yes, she's a professional, but I am still embarrassed as hell.  She watches me wrap the cuff around my penis.  

In the presence of this woman, my penis is shrinking and I am having trouble getting to stay on. Well, it finally worked - inflated and deflated a few times while I was peeing enough to stop and start the flow.

In a couple of weeks, I have a meeting with my doctor.

Does anyone have any better experiences with the UroCuff?  Did it help your doctor to treat you?

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I don’t have anything to add, but that is a funny story. No way I would have been able to pee with an audience like that telling me to wrap that around my d***. 

Sorry you had to go through that, and hope I never do.

• Posted

Urocuff is a non evasive, quick and easy version of urodynamic testing. It should give your doctor extra information to help treat and/or monitor your progress. You might ask the doctor to perform the test himself in the future so you will be more comfortable. I didn't ask for a male nurse when I had urodynamics done, but my doctor went out of the way in advance to mention it would be performed by a man. So, apparently you are not alone in this. PS I had a female PA instruct me how to self cath and it was awkward.

Jim

• Posted

I was speaking to the nurse at our medical practice about catheters in general and she explained to me how a person wearing a catheter continually could still have sex. Personally no matter what I prefer a female to a male nurse every time.
    • Posted

Ask the doctor to perform it himself?  I don't want to see that.  Oh, wait you mean he would show me instead of the twenty-something female nurse showing me. (Thanks btw for telling me that the test has value.  I didn't have any advance warning on this.)

• Posted

Hello.  I had that flow test done 4 weeks after I first saw the doctor.  To check my bladder.  I did have a Urolift done after 7 month's and it is over 3 years and has never had this test again.    What is this doctor doing.  And where are you at.  Are you having any issues with peeing.  Ken   

• Posted

I am having no major issues - I am fortunate.  My guess is that this new (for my urologist office) test was administered for 2 reasons - 1) I mentioned 6 months ago that I had a couple of close-not-getting-to-the-toilet issues and dribble a little on my pants (the urologist said that retraining the bladder took time); 2) It is now protocol for post-operative patients. 

I have taken Depends Guards with me on long trips (plane or car) as a backup.  I haven't needed them.  My stream is still strong.  Averaging getting up once a night.  Today, I went 7 hours.  On the other side, there have been a few days when I've gotten up every 2 hours.  It doesn't happen often enough for me to long fluid intake, exercise, etc.

Hope things are improving for you.

• Posted

That is good hope you are doing better.  You just have to watch your intake.  Take care  Ken
  • Posted

That must have sucked doing that in front of a 20 something woman. My first cystoscopy was like that. Young woman latching on Mr Happy and getting him ready for the scope. I had plenty  of shrinkage that day.

All I can visualize is the Seifeld episode where George gets out of the pool and is seen nake by Elaine. He starts saying he had shrinkage. 

• Posted

Trust you to get sucked and Mr Happy into the same paragraph:-)

In many UK hospitals the first urological examination including DRE is done by a nurse practitioner.  Last one judged my prostate size to the exact gram.

• Posted

It was a good thing that I didn't remember that novelty song from the 70's while I was trying to get the UroCuff around "Mr. Happy".  "Short people have no reason to live.." {Editor's note -  Randy Newman was not satirizing short people).  I'll have to look up the lyrics.  I don't think Randy wrote, "They have tiny little dicks..."

• Posted

You're absolutely correct that women can do these things.  But, somewhere between the rational part of my brain and "Mr. Happy", I was channeling Monte Python and the Holy Grail, "Run away, Run away"

• Posted

Back in my distant schooldays the nurse used to do health checks on the boys and girls. One 8 year boy got an erection during it. The nurse took a ruler and smacked his dick and said 'Control yourself boy' 

• Posted

Was that a Catholic school? At that age there's no controlling it. I miss those days «grin»

• Posted

There's a story in our press about a now old man who got compensation from the Catholic Church because a Nun used to 'rape' him every day until she got pregnant and was sent back to Ireland.

• Posted

No, not a Catholic School, Yes, at the drop of a hat then.

This was in Scotland where the schools were mainly segregated until quite recent times. There was a lot of prejudice in the workplace as well.   Our surname name is of Irish origin although we are not Catholics and people used to assume. My wife got a job and everyone there was Catholic, she used to be asked if she had been to mass today and things like that. She just used to say ‘not yet’ Then the Pope died and they were all weeping and wailing and they twigged that she was a Billy, not a Tim (you may have to Google that) and she got the sack. 

I worked for a big company with over 3,000 employees and we noticed that one small department of about 15 people from conversations were all Catholics. That was all the manager would employ. It did of course work both ways. There was a Council in the West of Scotland that did not employ Protestants.

• Posted

One local school that was named after a later disgraced Bishop has been renamed.

• Posted

We have those stories all the time in the news here (USA). Some of the female teachers are quite attractive some are down right hot. I can not imagine being 15 or so and banging the bottom out of one of these teachers. Then one day having the bright idea of telling authorities what has been going on. If you dont feel like banging her anymore hook her up with one of your friends.
    • Posted

The problem is when they tell their friends what they are doing and word gets back to their parents. The Kid then says he was not willing. We had one here recently when a famous female Harpist was jailed for offences against a willing 14 year boy about forty years ago. It basically came out after he tried unsuccessfully to get money from her.

When I was at school in war time the younger male teachers were away and we had older men and aging spinsters until the young ones came home. Very different people take up teaching now.

• Posted

In the 70's, I had trouble finding a job.  I got an interview in a small town.  They took me to lunch at the local "country club" (which was very spartan - probably a town-run course).  The two guys I had lunch with made sure to point out the Protestant church and the Catholic church.  I didn't jump to the bait.  I didn't get the job offer. Ended up working for a naval nuclear research lab for 3 years.

• Posted

It happens all over. Race, religion, colour and now probably sexual orientations.

Might be an idea now at companies looking to see if they still have male and female toilets. Some UK schools now have mixed sex toilets.

I was probably turned down for a job because I didn't like cricket. The Guy interviewing me ran the company  cricket team.

• Posted

poor kid!  with young males, it's an automatic response.  In my opinion she should have thought of something to say, to make that little kid feel less embarrassed, then to give Jr. a whack with a ruler.

• Posted

There are some teachers that think there God.  I had nuns when I was in school when they try to hit I told them no.  They I told my parents.  I was out of that school.  In public school I had a teacher in 4th grade that when she gave you a test and you got any wrong she would hit your hand with a ruler.  I don't her no and she got fired.  When my son was in 3 grade he had a teacher that was nice as pie in you face but she turned into another person when you were not there.  We found out from other kids that she would put my son in the closet and told him he was no good. I surprised her one day and found him he the closet.  We had her fired.  She was a teacher for 20 years who know how many other kids she did this to.  We live in a world that we have to watch out for anything that we can.  My 3 kids turned out fine but we have to stand up for what is right.  No teacher has the right to hit any student or put them in a closet.  Sorry went of track  Ken 

• Posted

You should have gone to school in my day. Rapped on the knuckles with a ruler was mild. We used to get our ears boxed. English schools used the cane and Scottish ones 'The Tawse' a leather strap of various widths and lengths for the least thing. Six of the best made quite an impression on your hand and into your wrist. 

Look it up on Wiki and it will bring tears to your eyes. It continued in use until 1982 when two mothers had it banned by The European Court of Human Rights

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.