"If you always do what you always did you will always get what you always got"!!!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Just thought I'd share this quote I found last night which I'd forgotten about. Think I got it from a course I did once. It makes you think how easy it to have the same daily routine, eat the same foods, have the same thoughts, etc especially when you are ill. But if you do the same things all the time nothing will ever change! Could there be be small changes you could make to your life which could improve things? Does anyone else feel stuck in a rut like this?

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Reminds me of a favourite quote by Einstein

Insanity:

Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Something I'm certainly guilty of, as many of us are, but breaking the cycle can be so hard, especially with not much energy to do so.

Ps cool name ☺

• Posted

Whilst on quotes, l read in a book that we humans can do most things in robot mode, and l and l guess most can do many things on auto pilot. The book suggested the two things we cant do in robotic mode is make love and make war, some might dispute the making love part of it. l think doing anything new, even without health probs a bit of a challenge, but much more so with health problems and lack of energy or well being. There,s the battle with ourselves, like the Einstein quote. 
  • Posted

Hi There, 

mm..maybe I 'm seeing the quote differently to a lot of you. I see it in relation to cfs/me as not fitting the condition at all. Each day is different with a walk one day giving no pain, exhaustion (at the time) another day just awful. I'm more in the house and in bed than I am out now and rest is what I'm needing to do. I don't feel pushing myself is a good Idea at the mo as the payback is too much. so, there is no always for me to get smile The thing that I can change (but mostly on good days) is my acceptance of the condition.

I see it as things being put on hold for me at the moment and am happy to rest in the expectation that eventually I'll be able to function ok again.

beverley

• Posted

I see the quote in two different ways. You can get into the habit of always trying the same physical actions and having the same diet, eg try to go out a day, always push and do too much and always end up in bed. Could try changing to going out for shorter time, have rest breaks when out and maybe not so tired afterwards. Also could apply to way of thinking, eg if have really bad day it's tempting to always think things like 'this is awful, I'm stuck in bed now, will never get better,'etc but could change thinking to something like 'OK I'm having a bad day today but I know why I'm worse I did too much yesterday so will just take time to have a nice rest today and I'll pick up again when my body is ready'. In both scenararios you in bed but in one you are in bed feeling depressed but in the other you are in bed but accepting the need to rest and hopeful of feeling better!!
    • Posted

Hi Elaine,

I see what you are saying but find the condition fluctuates so much and its sometimes hard to pinpoint exact cause of payback. Other times it's blatantly obvious but the balance of probability says "may get away with It this time" so things get done that maybe would be better left.

Most of the time I can see the symptoms, the need for rest etc as only temporary so get through it. I feel this condition really challenges us in so many ways Including how we see ourselves and others.

Best wishes

B

• Posted

Know what you mean. It's the problem of how to get the balance right which is something I've yet to master!! It's such a frustrating illness - one minute you feel a bit better and try and do things then you're set back again and can't do anything. What's annoying me just now is I was able to do much more a couple of years ago and just can't seem to get back to where I was. Must have been doing something right then that I'm not doing now. Going to dig out all my old M.E. stuff and try and work out where I'm going wrong. Just need to keep trying!
    • Posted

Hi Elaine,

Me too ! a couple of years ago I feel I was less exhausted by it but, cant think what I was doing differently. I rest more now so, hopefully things will tip the balance back and I can build on that. It is a frustrating illness.

Hope your day goes ok

B

• Posted

One reason I'd wondered about with me is the menopause which I'm going through now. Don't sleep as well as I did due to dreaded hot flushes. Don't know if hormones changing would have any effect either? Once met a woman who had M.E. who went through the menopause then her M.E. just went away and she's normal now. Wish that would happen to me!!
    • Posted

Hi Elaine, 

There have been people who get pregnant and their cfs/me goes away too-not that I'd recommend trying it but seems hormones could play a part for some : )

• Posted

Ditto for me also, must be one of the most common of allergens, l think the first one l was aware of, many years ago. 
    • Posted

Maybe that's where I went wrong. Didn't have any kids as am barely able to look after myself half the time never mind a baby. Should have had a dozen kids and been pregnant all the time - mind you don't know who would have looked after them once I'd had them!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.