**Ladies Question**

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone else experiences flare symptoms close to the TOTM?

I seem to get many symptoms close to the time, then they go away.

This time they seems to be the start of a proper flare but again may just be because i am getting to TOTM. I and hoping to avoid by eating the right foods and using pentasa suppositories. I really could do without taking steroids as i have only just managed to lose the stone i gained from when i took them in 2017.

If anyone can give me any pointers i would be very grateful or is this something you experience too?

TIA Carrie

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Carrie,

Well, as someone who suffers from both ulcerative colitis and uterine fibroids, I feel your pain! I have spent the past 15 years trying to manage both conditions, and researching the impact of each on the other. It seems hormonal disturbances can trigger IBD, which is why we become more symptomatic around menstruation, so for the most part I have been focusing on addressing hormonal imbalance. One key thing I have learned is to avoid ibuprofen like the plague - it might help with pain and heavy bleeding but it also triggered my most recent flare up of UC. I also tend to eat very plain and simple food around the time of my period - lots of roasted sweet potatoes and green leafy veggies like spinach. I love beans and legumes but can't tolerate them when I'm having a flare, which is a shame as they are a great source of protein and fibre. Oh - and avoid alcohol around the time of your period too.

I also take Pentasa (oral and suppositories), but recently started supplementing with slippery elm bark capsules with marshmallow, which has a soothing, anti-inflammatory effect - and I have found that these have helped with both conditions. Others swear by a daily probiotic too.

I hope this helps? All the best with your healing journey xx

• Posted

Hi Carrie my symptoms quite often get worse around my period.I can feel quite bloated and have cramping and go to the toilet more often.I tend to eat less on these days as I just don't like the full feeling, or eat quite plain food.

So you're not alone!

Hope it's not its big flare for you this time 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.