Skip to content

Ulcerative Colitis

Also known as Colitis - Ulcerative, Mesalazine for Ulcerative Colitis, Sulfasalazine for Ulcerative Colitis

All discussions in this group

Next
  • Please share your experiences with Prednisolone

So I’ve been taking Prednisolone for nearly the past 3 weeks now Started at 6 x 5mg pills for the first 2 weeks, now doctor wants me to taper off 1 pill each week, so I’m on 5 this week and 4 as of next etc.  Now I guess you could say it is very much sort of working in the sense that just …

Last reply
  • Please help UC with tenesmus

This is my first post. I have been told by my GI that I have UC. This literally happened 3 days ago and I’m having a terrible time. The symptoms are getting worse, I can’t work, None of the medicine has kicked in. How long does it take to start working? I’m taking the anti inflammatories orally and …

Last reply
  • Neck & Shoulder Pain / Pain Killers

Hi, Just wondering if anyone else experiences severe neck and shoulder pain relating to UC and also what strong pain killers people take?  Paracetamol doesn't do anything and now getting to the point there i can't sleep. :-(  Thanks in advance.  Carrie  

Last reply
  • Having trouble coping with prolonged UC flare.

I would just like to know if anyone has some general advice on keeping positive during a horrible UC flare. I've been having this one since March; even been kept in hospital for it. I was put on steroids, but as I started to taper them off the symptoms came back worse than ever. I have an …

Last reply
  • Herbal tincture

hi, i was wondering if any of you has tried herbal remedies. I was well for a month but symptoms started again when I finished my bottle. I feel extremely tired and dizzy. Is the dizziness common?

Last reply
  • Vitamins

Is there a multivitamin that is recommended for UC that is helpful and doesn’t have any side issues?  Thanks. Andrew

Last reply
  • Crohn’s

I just came back from taking my cat to the vet. He told me that for people dealing with Crohn’s , the drug used by cops and paramedics that is used for overdoses has good results with Crohn’s. It’s called Nalaxone. Very interesting 

Posted
  • UC, Mesazaline and chest infections

Can anyone tell me if having UC increases the risk of chest infections? Or is it the mesazaline (Asocol) that could be to blame. I'm starting to feel similar chest sensations to when I went into hospital two months back which was inconclusive but they said probably a chest infection. Prior to …

Last reply
  • Strange chest feeling when breathng

Hi everyone,                  Two days ago I started getting a weird feeling in my chest when breathing in. It's at the top and in the middle. Could this be a something to do with my colitis or the medication ( Asocol 3 daily ).  I have had this …

Last reply
  • Experience with humira?

My doctor wants to put me on humira. I am afraid of the side effects. Does anyone have experience with this drug? Were you ever able to come off if it? Other possible drugs with LESS side effects? Should I get a second opinion? Currently on mesalamine, cort enema, folic acid, vsl probiotic. …

Last reply
  • Antihistamine?

anyone else notice positive things from antihistamines? doctor give me some because the pollen rate is VH. one week later I’m in remission. Energy back, weight coming back on. stool movements from 5-8 times a day down to 1 every 2-3 days, healthy poop, no blood, no mucus.... i really want people …

Last reply
  • Nearly 11 years now on the bag

2007 was my year of hell with UC.    Can still recall the day,  February 5th when I first got diarrhea.   Although I didn't know it then,   I started symptoms in 2000, and went on and off for several years,   it would go away in a few days and …

Last reply
  • Mesazaline even when okay?

Hi everyone,  I don't have a follow up until 25th September and I'm taking ASOCOL ( Mesazaline ) tablets three daily which is working for me. My question is do I keep taking these basically forever or can I stop them and carry on when I have a flare up?  Thank you

Last reply
  • IBD and Orthopaedic Surgery

I have ulcerative colitis and currently in a mild flare. Consultant isn't too concerned and suggests increasing regular maintenance dose of 2.4g pd Octasa to 4.8g but no immuno suppressants at this stage. Two weeks ago I had knee surgery by arthroscopy to repair damaged meniscus cartilage and …

Last reply
  • I’ve just been sacked from my work

I have worked in a care home for over 17 year as a chef manager during the 24rth of December my staff got up to some carry on hitting each other with wet paper towels during this period I was working 77 hours a week as we had no chef 7days a week for over 4 weeks as while in holiday it was brought …

Posted
  • How long can a flare up last during colitis

Hi..i was on this recently about my 18 year old son who was recently told may have colitis, but only thing was he wasnt loosing weight...now he is...how long can a flare up last....im worried sick for him as he is a talk healthy lad and now this is having a horrible affect...and Im helpless as a …

Last reply
  • Advice on reversal op

My 15 yr old son was diagnosed with uc in November 2017 after having bloody stools for a few months and losing 2stone  , he became very ill and was hospitalised for 3 months which during that time had to have an emergency ileostomy . He now has a stoma and seems to be coping well considering …

Last reply
  • Bleeding after ileostomy

So I had an ileostomy 5 weeks ago to remove large intestine, rectum/anus still intact. I'm finding that I'm still bleeding from the back, now I know this is not uncommon but I just wanted to know if this is left and not removed are there any complications. I know a lot of people leave it …

Last reply
  • Job prospects and having colitis

Hi, I have a query about an occupational health report I have just completed having been offered a job as a driver for the NHS. One of the questions asked if I had ever been medically retired from a job. I worked as a police officer for 25 years until 2012, I had to leave because I had ulcerative …

Last reply
  • What were your symptoms and how were diagnosed?!

I have been having stomach issues for about 2 years. It started off with me getting diarrhea. My stool was also yellow or green at times. Then came the toilet with blood. Immediately I panicked. I went to the doctor and all labs were normal except my Neutrophils which were elevated. I had a CT scan, …

Last reply
  • Reverse Osmosis Water Filter. Do You Have it?

I'm curious if any of you guys with colitis have installed RO water filters in your homes?  I'm not diagnosed but have some symptoms. While I was thinking about possible cause of my problems RO water fillter crossed my mind. We're using them for years. I was perfectly healthy in …

Posted
  • Remission

I was having a a flare up probably due to stress I started taking IB guard and plenty of ginger tea and pills and make smoothies with ginger and carrots I try to stay away from a lot of sugar I wish you well

Posted
  • Update

itsbeen a very long time since I’ve posted on the UC board.  I wanted to give you an update as to where I am with this now as I’ve had some extremely good results.  In my last post I was inthe mist of an 8 Mo th flair up.  I’d been put on some new medications and began taking …

Last reply
  • Does This Sounds Like UC?

Hello, I'm not diagnosed, but would like to ask you guys if you have similar simptoms and to hear your opinion on my current situation. I'm 36 year old male, married, of good health, eating healthy, don't smoking/drinking, exercise from time to time. Have 2 bowel movements most of …

Last reply
  • Could it be UC?

Hi guys, About a month ago for the first time in my life I started experiencing severe abdominal discomfort and bloody diarrhea. After visits to multiple doctors I was prescribed a course of antibiotics which helped relieve the symptoms after a couple of days, and now my bowel movements are …

Last reply
  • Apriso

For my UC, the doctor gave me Apriso .375   Anybody have any experience with this? It's really hard to tell sometimes with these meds. When I had crohns, I was given Asacol and it seemed to do nothing.

Posted
  • Cortiment side effects - Please help.?

Hi everyone... I’m completely new to this (or any) forum.  I have just been diagnosed with UC after symptoms started 1.5years ago.  I was on a few treatments the last 6 months but as of last week I’m on Salofalk Granules, Salofalk Suppository, Budenofalk foam enema and cortiment ( …

Last reply
  • What to do emergency !??!

currently taking  , Pentasa 1g suppositories 1 at night. but doctors currently give me prednisolone sodium Enema, it’s like a clear liquid, I must put 100ml into my anas. but how do I go about taking the tablet suppositorie with the liquid enema ?? What’s the best way to do this. I don’t …

Last reply
Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.