Skip to content

Ulcerative Colitis

Also known as Colitis - Ulcerative, Mesalazine for Ulcerative Colitis

Can you help? Discussions needing a reply

• Tumeric and Canabis Oil

Hi, Just read on another group about a lady stopping all medication and replacing with Canabis oil and she’s been great for 12 months. Her friend has been symptom free using it for 18 years. Does anyone else use this? Also does anyone take Tumeric capsules? I’ve took them for a couple of weeks twice...

All discussions in this group

Next
  • Salofalk Granules

Hi, Just received a call from my GP to say I will be having my medication switched from Pentasa 4mg to Salofalk Granules apparently this is happened across the whole of my town.  Not sure how happy I am about this as it’s not been discussed and I don’t know anything about this medication. Pentasa...

Last reply
  • Tumeric and Canabis Oil

Hi, Just read on another group about a lady stopping all medication and replacing with Canabis oil and she’s been great for 12 months. Her friend has been symptom free using it for 18 years. Does anyone else use this? Also does anyone take Tumeric capsules? I’ve took them for a couple of weeks twice...

Posted
  • Just looking for advice

So my story so far diagnosed december 24th 2016 after a year of symptoms very stubborn and stupid of my self and I knew something was wrong with me I was a assistant pub manager and electrical college student at the time and had my heart set on my dream job of a electrician but after finishing my course...

Last reply
  • “Little inflammation.”

Hello! So I had a colonoscopy done and got the results today.  The message he left was that the biopsies didn’t have anything of concern and I had a “little inflammation.” That is the part that confuses me.  What does mean?  Do I have a IBD or no? Anyone have any insight?

Last reply
  • Colostomy Bag picked up on Airport Scanner

I’ve only flown twice since having a Colostomy Bag but have felt sensitive about what to at Security in case it looked like I was trying to conceal something. I needn’t have worried because at Heathrow Terminal 3 the Full Body Scanner picked it up as clear as day after which I was gently body searched...

Last reply
  • A very concerned mum !

My son is 21 years old. He was diagnosed with AIH (auto immune Liver Disease) aged 14 and ulcerative colitis when he was about 16.  My son for some unknown reason has stopped all medication about 1 year ago.  He refuses to see his consultant, attend hospital check ups and so on.  As he...

Last reply
  • UC Medication Combinations.

Hi everyone. Just found this board and hope that someone may be able to answer my question(s). My husband was diagnosed last September and had a course of steroids which has limited effect. Azathioprine didn't agree with him at all and he reacted badly. During the last week of steroids he had a hospital...

Last reply
  • Operation to remove remaining bowel.

bustergut1 Operation to remove remaking bowel Posted 12 minutes ago Hi everyone i had an op a year ago yesterday ( my decision) to remove most of my large colon & now I  have a Stoma. Unfortunately the remaining 15cm (rectal stump)  has been inflamed with uc & bleeding, despite...

Last reply
  • Colitis with bladder and eye symptoms.

hi. I have UC and I am tapering prednisolone. Am on 5mg a day this week. I’ve started with symptoms again. Pressure behind my eyes. I am on carbimazole 5mg for nodules on my thyroid. This has settled down. I also have pressure on my pelvic floor. I want to go but can’t. All these symptoms must be related...

Last reply
  • Reducing bloated stomach

Hi, I was diagnosed over a year ago at 26 years old with Left sided UC. I had to go on steroids for 9 weeks and then struggled with medication after that. Everything seemed to disagree with me and made me very sick and more problems. Since August 2017 I have been in remission and no longer and any form...

Last reply
  • Vedolizumab vs. Surgery

I’ve recently had a severe flare up and was put on Infliximab which worked for a few weeks but now I’m back in flare up so am not responsive to the Infliximab. I’ve been given a choice of Steroids and  Vedolizumab, which has a 40% success rate or surgery. If I pick the medication route but still...

Last reply
  • Colitis- Mesalamine + Azathioprine

Hello, I've recently had my second colitis flare up, after being stable for a few months on a high dose of mesalamine. This time I have been put on a 4 week course of methylprednisolone (3 weeks to go) whilst still taking mesalamine. I've also been told to start taking 150mg of azathioprine...

Last reply
  • Azathioprine opinions experiences and risks

Hi I have been on MEZAVANT and humira weekly injections which have not been completely working. My new gastroenterologist has now put me on azathioprine 100mg . My question is what are your experiences and opinions of aza and the side affects, is this just a lot of scaremongering as the benefits out...

Last reply
  • Ulcerative colitis flare or something else?

Hi I was wondering if anyone had a similar experience, the last two weeks I have had a dull abdominal pain on the left lower side along with feeling really tired, weeing a lot more frequently and soooo bloated I feel like I might pop but my bowel movements are completely normal! I went to the gp she...

Last reply
  • Lesion on liver is it related to my colitis?

I've recently been diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. Last week I had a ct scan and they have found a 1.4cm lesion. I am booked in for an ultrasound but I'm worried sick about what this could be. I've heard that colitis can sometimes cause problems with the liver and was wondering if anybody...

Last reply
  • My panproctocolectomy

I have had colitis for a while now and now have to have a operation on 6th Feb and was just looking for some support as I'm finding it hard comming to terms of having bag

Last reply
  • Panproctocolectomy with permanent ileostomy

Hi ... Yes I hav surgery behind me Friday past. I was mentally in good place for it . I was in theatre for approx 6 hrs and had it by keyhole . 5 pin prick holes and a really neat stoma and short suture line at my butt where they took my colon through and then stitched . My consultant told me my colon...

Last reply
  • Calprotectin 274, colonoscopy pending. Advice, please.

Hi guys, I'm hoping someone can give me some insight. Almost 2 years ago, when I was about 6 months pregnant with my daughter I started having some rectal bleeding, and my OB was sure it was hemorrhoids. I saw my Dr a yr ago, when my daughter was 6 months old as the bleeding was persistent and she...

Last reply
  • Iron tablets

Hi, I have ulcerative colitis which makes me anaemic, and I have eventually ha to have blood transfusions. My GP initially prescribed 3 Ferrous sulphate tablets  day. However I cannot tolerate these very well and they cause stomach cramps and severe constipation. I have also been sick with them....

Last reply
  • First real flare !!! Help

Hi all I'm having my first real flare of proctitis which started almost 4 weeks ago I am having 2-3 watery bm a day with blood and stomach cramps on the centre of my lower stomach and blood and mucus without bm . I was using pentasa enemas but my nurse took me off them because she thought it could...

Last reply
  • Mercaptopurine side effects - is this normal?

Hi all - I'm 19 years old and got diagnosed with UC about a year ago. My doctor prescribed me 3.75 ml per day of mercaptopurine back in November (2 months ago) and it's done wonders for my UC symptoms, I haven't flared up since. However I've noticed some weird changes in my health and...

Last reply
  • Bleeding after ileostomy

So I had an ileostomy 5 weeks ago to remove large intestine, rectum/anus still intact. I'm finding that I'm still bleeding from the back, now I know this is not uncommon but I just wanted to know if this is left and not removed are there any complications. I know a lot of people leave it attached...

Last reply
  • Joint pain- Ulcerative colitis

Hi Im 18 years old and was diagnosed with UC 3 years ago. about 18 months before my diagnosis I had hip swelling/ inflammation which became progressively worse and eventually affected other joints in my body, the joint is very painful and very hard to move due to both stiffness and pain. This all came...

Last reply
  • Early signs

Hi, I finished 12 weeks of steroids just before Christmas which I started in September. I have been completely fine after the first couple of weeks of steroids until today.... stools normal and feel well generally but noticed small amounts of blood mixed in my stool.  Would this be likely to be...

Last reply
  • infliximab infusion will nurse go to toilet with me

I might be going on infliximab/ Remicade infusion and was thinking if i have to go to the toilet will the nurse be prepared to go with me if i need her to and ask?Just to make sure the tube is all safe as this is causing me anxiety and get very disoriented and light headed from my bowel attacks. any...

Last reply
  • Can I stop taking my Octasa after a while in remission?

Hi everyone, I’ve been in remission for around 14 months. I currently only take 4 800mg octasa tablets a day. I’ve missed taking tablets for up to 4 days before, as I’m forgetful and sometimes forget to order some on time! I asked my IBD nurse whether I could come off of these tablets and she said that...

Posted
  • Diagnosing UC

Over a month ago I went into hospital with severe abdominal pain, bloody diarrhea, etc. They did a CT and blood work and sounded pretty confident that I have UC with early-onset Crohn's due to the severe swelling of the colon and atypical pANCA (after all the research I went and did, I was pretty...

Last reply
  • Creon

I have ulcerative colitis. My doctor prescribed Creon c r e o n & I would like to know if anyone else with this UC has used Creon and it helped thank you

Last reply
  • Achy limbs and painful joints.

hello everyone. It is Christmas Day and I feel awful. I have UC but the gastro says it’s mild. I also have IBS C which I control with the fodmap diet. I am on 4000 Pentasa and one suppository at night. I also have other issues. A nodule in the pelvic area to be removed in January. An MRI in January too...

Last reply
  • Canasa Possible Side Effect

I just started Canasa about 10 days ago and recently I am noticing a drastic increase in urinary frequency. It's gotten so bad I'm going every 30 min and I never feel like I've gotten it all out. I'm a 35 yo male and just wondering if anyone else has ever had a similar AE while on mesalamine?...

Last reply
Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.