Travel insurance for ulcerative colitis.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows how expensive travel insurance is for ulcerative colitis, and how long it takes to sort out? I'm planning on going on holiday for about 10-11 days.

I was diagnosed in either Jan or Feb 2015 (can't remember exactly), I've only had two flare ups; the original when I was diagnosed and once in about September 2015, so almost four years ago. Would the (touch wood) good history with very few flare ups make it any cheaper?

If it's about £300-£500 I wont even bother going.

Thanks.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi there

it's not that expensive unless youve had surgery or unplanned admissions then the price will rise. i think they also take in to consideration the medication you are taking. i went with a company called Just Travel so have a look at the website as it will give you a rough guide as to how much it will cost. First time round I only paid around £100 but that was fir a single trip.

• Posted

It's really not expensive. I am similar to you and it was about £60.00 for annual travel. Get going on your holiday and enjoy. xx

• Posted

Hi there

My daughter has UC and we use Holidaysafe for travel insurance and they have very good rates (less than £30 for 2 weeks for 18 year old). You can speak to them on the phone or do online. I have found them exceptionally helpful. Good luck.

• Posted

I got an annual policy from Bupa to cover UC and coexisting mental health issues it was about £120 for the year including winter sports.

The questions they will ask you are:

How many medications do you take for your ulcerative colitis: 0, 1, or more than 1

Have you had your bowel removed: Y/N

Have you had any cases of bowel obstruction: Y/N

Your answers will probably affect the premium. At the time I got my quote I was taking 2 medications, no bowel removal or obstructions.

I made a claim on the policy, not for medical issues, but I found there was no problem with them paying up.

• Posted

I believe it depends on your body system, usually within the time you wish it to be, it would be cured, but not completely. Most medications start to work and produce effective results within 2 weeks. 2 Weeks is a magical saying most doctors say.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.