Normal calprotectin levels but bad symptoms

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

I was diagnosed with UC about 10 years ago. I had a big flare and my whole bowel was inflamed. About a year before I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety for which I take an antidepressant.

I was prescribed steroids for the immediate problem and then 6MP and mezavant for maintenance. I have been taking the same drugs for about 10 years without any issues.

About four years ago I had minor symptoms and a colonoscopy showed I had proctitis but the rest of the bowel was fine.

Over a year ago I was taken off the 6MP as I was doing well. However, since then I have noticed a decline in my bowel symptoms and mental health. I get urgency which is accompanied by feelings of wobbly legs and internal restlessness / shaking. Once I have been to the bathroom these symptoms are relieved. This happens several times a day. If I put light pressure on my bowel it hurts.

My gastro has checked my calprotectin levels a few times over the last year and they have come back as normal so they say it is just IBS and I should drink peppermint tea!

Has anyone else experienced this or similar issues? Normal calprotectin levels but still having active disease? Urgency accompanied by feelings of wobbly legs and restlessness?

Many thanks in advance,

Ed

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hello! i hope you are doing well.

i was also diagnosed with UC , I do have flare ups , I only take Pentasa . And sowmtime sI experience the sma wthing. I feel shaky, and my legs wobbly. But then I use toilet and feel better. But it can repeat . When I feel that its usually diarrhea. I was also prescribed antidepressant Amitriptylin. I take onky ine pill per day . So I dont know if its the reason.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.