How long does it take for Octasa to start working?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been prescribed Octasa after realising my previous medication was making my flare up worse. I want to know how long it usually takes for the Octasa to start working (i.e. noticeably improve the symptoms), and how long I should wait to contact a doctor if it's not making a difference.

I also read that you can double the dosage during a flare up, so would it be okay for me to do this or is it essential that I talk to a doctor first?

Many thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

everybody is different ive been on octasa it worked for a while about 7 days or so to kick in but didnt last long before i was back to square one but like i say everybody is different keep in touch ive been where you are now

• Edited

Hello Cathernine,

As John says everyone is different but for me it took a good 3-4 weeks before it was settled and considered in remission. I recall had one flare up after a week or so after starting mesalazine and during that time I did increased the dosage based on the advice from my gastro. Before that I was on steriods for 8 weeks after being diagnosed with UC or Crohns, (docs couldnt be certain which one) and thankfully it's these drugs more or less keep it in check. (it's been more than 2 years now)

I am actually taking Mezavant which have the same active ingredient as Octasa but they are slightly larger and have a higher dosage per tablet.(1200m vs 800mg for Octasa) I am prescribed to take 2 Mezavant (2.4mg) during normal times (maintenance as it's called) and increase this to 3.6mg or max 4.8mg if feel unwell or during a flare up. (so from 2 to either 3 or 4 tablets) For octasa it means you could increase the dosage to from 3 up to 6 as below. (you also need to split the dosage, say half in the morning and the half in the evening) However, I would clear this with your Gastro or IBD nurse before doing so. You can normally reach the IBD nurse by phone, have they given you their details?

Best of luck and hope you start to feel better soon. 😃

Frank

Octasa Dosage Adults

• Mild acute disease: 2.4 g (three tablets) once daily or in divided doses, with concomitant corticosteroid therapy to be taken when clinically indicated.

• Moderate acute disease: 2.4 g to 4.8 g (three to six tablets) a day in divided doses, with concomitant corticosteroid therapy where clinically indicated. 2.4 g may be taken once daily or in divided doses. Above 2.4 g should be taken in divided doses.

• Maintenance therapy: 1.6 g to 2.4 g (two to three tablets) taken once daily or in divided doses.

The maximum adult dose should not exceed six tablets a day and not exceed 3 tablets taken together at any one time.

• Posted

octasa is helpful but if you have to increase dosage it s wise to consult your GP as they need to take bloods to monitor make sure your liver s ok

I know because I recently had a bad flare and had to get my dr s advice

In two weeks I ll need to have a blood test.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.