How Long

Posted , 6 users are following.

How long did it take for you guys to diagnosed

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

All in all 6 months - due to GP insisting I must have an infection and putting me on antibiotics twice. This wasn't helped by all blood and stool samples coming back normal (and repeated because they kept getting lost), then the wait for a colonoscopy. Keep the pressure on your doctor.

• Posted

About 2 months but only because i got rushed into A&E having lost 2 stone in 6 weeks and nearly fainted. Had already been sent home once and my GP was useless. Lucky Dr. in A&E knew pretty much straight away had colonoscopy in few days and ended up in hospital for 8 nights on steriod drip. Was exactly a year ago now on Pentasa and kind of in control still have some bad days if not been looking after myself drink too much etc.

• Posted

I'd been feeling tired and had diarrhea and intermittent bleeding for a while but had put it down to an upset tum and hemorrhoids. I'd been on repeated antibiotics for a stubborn UTI and thought I was out of sorts because of that.

Woke up one morning with bloody sheets. Called 111 and told to present to A&E immediately where I was found to be severely dehydrated. Put on a saline drip for the day, sent home for a week then back for an urgent colonoscopy which revealed the UC. All in all, very fast diagnosis via the hospital route.

It's been four years and I have little contact with my GP surgery over the disease other than repeat prescriptions for 5ASA which now keep symptoms at bay. Had a hellish two years getting things under control after the initial diagnosis but the hospital team including an excellent IBD nurse look after me very well.

I read that the cause of UC is unknown but in my case I'm inclined to think it was the repeated antibiotics that triggered it.

• Posted

Today i went to hospital for constipation. They told me i have slow transit constipation. I have colon thickening which showed on a ct. Awaiting to see my GI doc in 2 weeks to schedule a colonoscopy. last one show indeterminate colitis meaning they didnt know where the inflammation was coming from. That colonoscopy was a year ago and i havent had problems since then up until recent. I cant wait to get this all sorted out

• Posted

It should take 1 week. Any longer than that would make the mind wonder and be curious.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.