What to eat when you're flaring?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Background: Just been dx'ed with UC. I have a bunch of autoimmune issues: Celiac, RA, Psoriatic Arthritis...3 years ago had 12" of colon removed due to diverticulitis.

My question is what can I eat during a flare up? It seems everything I take in sends me running to the bathroom. I'm not very hungry but know I have to eat/drink something.

Thank you in advance!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I've got UC, had it for about 7 years, I've just started the Specific Carbohydrate Diet this morning - I did it about 4 years ago and it worked really well, but I've been in a fairly mild flare now for months and it's not going so am going back on this. It's a 3 day intro diet where you eat eggs, chicken soup, pureed carrots and ground beef and a couple of other bits but that kills off all the bad bacteria in your gut, then you basically have to stay away from all grains, processed meats and sugars (except honey) - sounds pretty awful I know but actually once you get your head round what you can/can't eat it's fine - just need to be a bit prepared and there are tonnes of good substitute recipes. It's gotten me into remission a few times - hope you're feeling better soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.