"Mild sinus disease" and useless ENT

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi there,

Apologies as this may be long.... I originally visited my dr a year and a half ago complaining about constantly plugged ears. After a few more visits I was sent to an ENT.  I told ENT about ear problems and recurring headaches in my forehead.  ENT suggested I have a CT scan although he figured it wouldn't show anything. Turns out (to his surprise) I have "mild sinus disease". (I read on his computer screen paranasal mucosal sinus disease). When I visited him for the CT recall in April he told me to use Avamys and a Netipot.  I have been using both and nothing seems to help. I saw the ENT again today and he seemed to think that my main concern was the fact that my ears were pugged, not that I have daily sinus headaches.  He says I have ETD and there's nothing he can currently do about it since I don't have any negative pressure or fluid in my ears.  When I asked about the headaches he said theres nothing I can do since its most likely related to the sinus disease and to continue using the netipot.  I have a pretty deviated septum which he doesn't think is causing my problems since my nose isn't crooked so he assumes its been like that since birth. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on ways to potentially cure this or any causes for this??? My symptoms are basically plugged ears, pain in forehead and bridge of nose (almost daily, sometimes all day), and thick mucous. Sometimes I have a phlegmy throat and lose my voice but this doesn't happen often.  Any info (suggestions, similar stories, cures) anyone can give me would be much appreciated. 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

To add to why I said "useless ENT", not once has he asked about my symptoms. He also just gets up and walks out of his office when he feels we are finished. He doesn't ask if I have any questions or anything. Yes I will be trying to get to a new one next time, I would just like some new ideas to go into the office with. 

• Posted

Yes you need to find another ENT, ask for a culture to be done  with the thick mucus, see what it could be. now I have sjogrens which is autoimmune with same symptoms as you, only I get a lot of sinus infection. 
  • Posted

""ENT suggested I have a CT scan although he figured it wouldn't show anything. Turns out (to his surprise) I have "mild sinus disease". Where do they train drs? How supercillious! 

Best wishes

• Posted

Go see another ENT. Get a copy of that CT scan so you can show them it. There's not much you can do, but there are a couple procedures that can be done if it is a Chronic ETD. I had a balloon Sinuplasty done and it helped with the pain in my forehead and intense pressure pain in ears. That's just me though, I'm not suggesting you get that, but you should see another ENT. Good luck.

• Posted

i have been suffering for at least 4-5 years.  yes this is a very tricky ailment and most ENT’s  have no clue what to do. most will just treat u across the board like they do all patients hoping for the symptoms to rectify themselves.  but u do indeed need to get another ENT. I am currently on number 5 although he to seems to be a little out of the loop also. at least he is somewhat sympathetic. as some of my past ENTs kind of just blew it off like yours did. I really don’t think they understand the quality of life issues that this ailment presents. I have not found any thing that has consistently made me feel better.  I know this does not help but I just wanted to let u know that u r not alone. 
  • Posted

Thanks for the input everyone.  Any suggestions of anything thats helped at all is great since I don't seem to get that from the doc.  I know he kinda cares because he indicates he's frustrated that my ears are plugged even though that isn't the part I care about.  I'm frustrated because he doesn't seem too worried about the sinus pain.  I know there isn't a whole lot that can be done, its just annoying that all he can think of to try is the nasal spray and "hope it eventually helps" and a nasal rinse.  He won't considered its from my deviated septum or consider any other causes for it. 

• Posted

My sinus pain is in my maxillary sinuses- and nose. Last year I had a bad sinus infection and had a lot of estachian tube issues and that has pretty mu resolved. But for me my sinus pain is in my cheeks and nose. I have had a TON of X-rays- sinus and mri and dental.  My inflammation is at the bottom of the maxillary sinuses. With a little more on the left which is where I am having the bulk of issues. But now the pain in my right is getting worse! So I have to go back to the dentist yet again to rule out dental. I am very new to sinusitis. I feel bad for people who have had it all their lives. It’s expensive that’s for sure! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.