? muacle weakness

Posted , 7 users are following.

Had my new hip in Sept 2017 and on the whole it has been pretty good. I switched jobs from a very active, on your feet, 12 hour shift role to more regular 4 day week 6 months ago. I don't know if it is purely coincidence, but I am now finding my leg has become gradually weaker over the same amount of time. My job now involves more sitting, and during COVID lockdown I am now mainly doing phone consultations to patients. There is little opportunity in between calls to get up and walk around, and I am having increasing discomfort in the groin / inner thigh area. I don't think there is anything wrong with the mechanics of the joint, and feel it is all down to musculature. I now am unable to straight leg raise when lying down (which I could do before after several weeks post -op), but have no problem doing clamshells or squats. I sometimes get quite bad cramp type pain at the top of the buttock on walking distances, or when carrying a shopping basket etc. I also have to help my leg in by lifting with my trouser leg to get into the car. I wonder if anyone has any advice on which exercises to do to strengthen, as I don't know how to identify where the problem area is.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I am 11 weeks past my hip replacement and I get pain in my groin to my knee and it really hurts but comes and goes told physio and she said it will take time to completely heal but apart from that hip has not given me any pain am just about back to normal in out bed no problem up down stairs in out of bath dress as normal even be out on my bike

• Edited

Jools

To me you have identified some of the issue yourself . This may be purely down to the more sedentary role . I am a keen runner even after the op and it has been impressed upon me that you really do have to keep up the exercises especially the glutes which control a lot of the walking and running mechanics (I'm not advocating running) I appreciate lifestyle sometimes negates us keeping up with our exercises as we feel sometimes were well mended. Are you doing any glute exercises to see if this makes a difference, there are numerous sites that can advise but you cant beat a deep squat even unweighted. That's my tuppence worth lol

• Edited

Hi Jooles, you are experiencing the very same problems that I myself are having, I also had my left hip done in 2017 , after many scans x Ray's etc my consultant rang me earlier this month and said its probably mechanical , meaning it's either the cup has deteriorated from the femur or stem of hip has become loose have exactly same symptoms as you have mentioned.

when I finally get to see my consultant after this virus I will post you my findings.

Hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.