😱 My GP is completely refusing to support me with Opioid detox!

Posted , 8 users are following.

Further to my post that my GP was prescribing Fentanyl 200mg after a major spinal surgery back in July, with no checks or consultations. I am now having to go through Opioid detox completely on my OWN, because this crazy woman who is meant to be medically qualified tells me she is 'out of her depth' and doesn't know enough about Opioid Withdrawal. Furthermore, she is refusing to give me anything whatsoever to help with the side effects of coming off of morphine, whether physical or psychological. She told me in a very casual manner, that it although it was a "bit cruel" it was better to go "cold turkey". This is what she had been advised by our local hospital (I had to stop her and tell her that this meant stopping all Opioids at once, not going without any form of supplemental treatment). I just cannot believe that she is making me do this all alone! No reduction plan, no buprenorphine, no clonidine, or anxiety medication. NOTHING 😭. I told her I was asking for help to get off of Opioids, not asking for more, but she just wouldn't listen. Her only advice was to check into the Priory. Does she even know how much that costs?!! She is also refusing to treat my severe chronic spinal pain long term with even Co-codamol. I became so anxious at hearing this that 3 weeks ago I attempted to kill myself. I hate this woman! 😡 We had a very terse phone conversation and she eventually apologised for her use of wording, but kept saying I should see things from HER point of view! Just unbelievable. This woman should be struck off! I nearly died because of her!! It wouldn't take her more than an average patient appointment time to download any of the vast amount of NHS guidance written for specifically for medical practitioners like her. I was on 800mg Fentanyl, 400mg Oramorph, which I'm now off, and 600mg of Zomorph. I'm now down to 120mg. I'm tapering off at 30mg a week. I have 5 weeks to go, then PAWS. I feel like I'm in hell, my poor Husband is beside himself with worry. I would change surgeries, but then I would lose my Mental Health support. Has anyone else been forced to completely go it alone like this?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Emmylou.

I feel so so sorry for you & your husband sweetheart, it really breaks my heart to read what you're both going through!!!

Unfortunately, that's this pathetic country for you, the GP's put you in this mess then just stick 2 fingers up at you when you for help to get out of the mess they put you in in the first place!!

I would firstly definitely complain to the surgery manager about this GP! So please do that!!

I would also change surgeries but, if you can't, definitely get in touch with your local MP to tell them off your situation to see if they can help you!

I wish you & your husband all the very best sweetheart. It's So wrong when GP's do this but they only read from a book about medication & some don't have a clue how to help you. Mine was exactly the same, put me on enough Oxycontin (Hillbilly Heroin) to kill 2 horses & 5 men, then didn't want to help me when I wanted off the stuff that totally destroyed my life & my brain!!!!

Good luck sweetheart & all the very best to you both!!

Ritchie xx

• Posted

Thanks Ritchie. It is totally f***ed isn't it? I hate what they have done to you too ??.

The perverse thing is, that in the wake of the US opioid crisis I honestly think they are tightening things up here. And they've gone from dishing the stuff out to making it really difficult to get hold of. Which they should, but for Christ's sake apply some common sense. A lot of people are given it for acute pain and take it for longer than they need to, so they're starting to get slightly high on the stuff without realising it and up getting addicted. A lot of GPS can't even tell the difference between dependence/physiological need and psychological addiction (ironically, I did my thesis on drug addiction at Uni, although that was 17 years ago!). I have never got high on opioids in my life, in spite of the massive doses I've been stuck on. I've never had cravings for it either. I have a real fear that chronic pain sufferers are going to become the victims once again, but for the exact opposite reason. Whoever spoke to my GP must have really put the wind up her, as I said. Because now she seems not to want to prescribe me anything! Am definitely going to try for Sativex though. Am trying the CBD oil, but for me, it's not helping the pain 🙁. Last night, I felt like someone was trying to rip my frickin' legs off. I honestly would have been prepared to stick a gun to my head if it wasn't for that fact that we still have some Oramorph in the house. It kills me having to take it, seeing as I've worked so hard to get off the stuff, but I just can't deal with the pain. What will happen when we run out, I don't know. We are arranging a CT scan and then I somehow have to make the 3hr round trip to London to see my consultant. Thank heavens we have my Husband's savings (that makes me feel guilty as hell too, because he worked really hard to save that money and now it's all going on my surgery/medical bills because the NHS is in fallout, and mentally, I can't wait another 6-8 months for a scan. And that's if they even agree to it).

• Posted

Oh for goodness sake!! The mods are at it again! I'll just PM you xx

• Posted

Don't feel bad Emma, I'm sure your husband would rather that than see you suffering even more!!

I used my life savings when I lost my job so I didn't claim any benefits. Then when all that went I had no choice but to claim.

It's sad that Im made to feel that way when I've worked damned hard all my life never hardly having a single day off in 33years!!

And now this government & the DWP make it so very hard for the genuine people to get help that they give up anyway!!

There is something very seriously wrong with this country that we live in.

If it wasnt for my family & the fact all my life savings have gone, I would emigrate as im so very sick of what this inhumane government has done & is doing to its own people.

The 5th or 6th richest country in the whole world & were heading towards being a 3rd world country due to what the idiots running it are doing!

I've said it before but i really do hope I see the day May rots in jail for her crimes against humanity!!

• Posted

I am so sorry you have to go through this...About me? I have a medical background(I was going to med school) but got hurt at work, I have an extensive med history myself & have had chronic pain since 1994, a dozen surgeries & more medical issues than surgeries, personal knowledge of multiple medications (my family is a walking med book) we can talk privately too... if you feel better about that! First of all, I am not implying you are an addict, you have a "dependency"(an important difference) due to taking a legally prescribed medication for a valid reason, but withdrawl symptoms happen to ANYBODY taking meds for so long...I see you have mental health support, if so, FOR IMMEDIATE ACTION: ask them for help, anti-depressants (NOT BENZOS, that is a worse black hole)can help anxiety, depression and some even can be used for withdrawl, it can help mood &

etc and you could quit taking them, when you no longer need them (not for everybody, something to try...be aware of side effects) or they can help other ways (a referral,public services that might help, contacts with drug rehabs/support groups...like NARC-A-NON)try to find a phone number, support group, clinic etc.. that is for drug addiction, even online(explain your situation) ask if they can help(they can tell you how to taper & give you someone to help w/anxiety of feeling abandoned by your Dr. and support you, they may be able to tell you where to go for detox support)....IMMEDIATELY & LONG TERM: if you STILL have pain, it may be very difficult to get off your meds completely, as your pain will increase, you may seek to self medicate(AVOID THAT, try to get professional help,

once you start that direction, they will be even LESS likely to want to help) LONG TERM: what you need is a pain clinic,

pain lasting after 9mos may be from scarring, adhesions or a list of other reasons (however I dont know if there are places that can help w/o $$ or ins.)You may require Physical Therapy, Anti-inflammatories, even other meds....Tell your surgeon you still have pain and want to be referred to a pain clinic for chronic pain or tell your regular Dr. (the one who referred you to the surgeon) that you are STILL having issues, THEY are responsible for your care after the surgeon has done all they can/will do.....YOU were strong enough to cut back from all those powerful meds to get where you are, THAT you should be proud of.....it sounds like you are down to your last doses, you need to cut back as far as possible w/o being totally sick & disfunctional...If I knew how many pills and dosage I could get an idea of what you could try...cutting pills(to cut dosages), further spacing doses,& etc can all help...you can take things for nausea and the many other symptoms(I can try to help)ways to help yourself......your Dr. gave you way too much medication for too long & you are addicted, dont be hard on yourself and take one day(or one hour) at a time...I will keep an eye for your responses, Best Wishes💟

• Posted

Thank you so much for for response. I am on strong anti depressants already, and have tried all the drug support groups, but because I'm not abusing my meds, I don't fall under their criteria for support. I have been referred back to PM, but am very untrusting of them, because they failed to notice my fusion had failed and told me all my pain was down to hypersensitivity caused by the opioids, not a mechanical problem. We finally had to go privately and my surgery was a mess. The metalwork was coming loose and part of my vertebrae had collapsed. Forgive me if I'm repeating myself here! I am down to just 30/500mg Co- codamols, but have had to resort to taking 20ml Oramorph on 5 occasions because much as I'm used to severe pain, everyone has their limits. Ideally I want to get off all opioids, including codeine. I am going to request Sativex again. Last time I was refused because I was on morphine. If she refuses me this, then I will have to speak to the practice partners, then my MP if I have to. The problem is I can barely function right now. I'm living on less than 600 calories a day because I cannot face eating, am anaemic, am obviously very weak.

• Posted

Sweetheart I know what you mean about eating(I have sensitivity to caramel color, most dyes & tons of other things) I get terrible migraines....but you must eat, you will start having other issues, first try vitamins and drink at least 4 water a day....even if you dont eat you must drink, water x4 and then other fluids(caffiene dehydrates you as do medications) then try eat foods you like, you need vitamins, so a pill is better than none at all, but you need calories for energy, some fats are healthy, carbs, protein are all things you need for healing, staying healthy ....you really must try to eat...even a snack every 4hrs will help keep you from getting run down and weak.....real pudding, yogurt,rice, potatoes, nuts, applesauce, peanut butter, crackers, cheese, meat(not a lot of processed) all fruit & veges(not much calories)...calcium, vit.D and magnesium are important...a multivitamin and a calcium/vit D/ Mag combo...pain meds deplete B vitamins too...after 2 wks on vitamins I felt better...but you need to eat, you are on a starvation diet, lots of ideas on websites from dieticians free...sounds like you have it figured out a bit...if there is anything you think I can help with or if you wanna chat anytime...I really hope you get relief and you get fixed up to function better and be happy....let me know how things progress Best Wishes...pls eat💟

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I know how important it is to eat, I honestly do. My poor Husband keeps trying to get me to eat, but I physically gag even trying to eat a piece of toast. I've lost over a stone in weight in 6 weeks, and I'm not even moving about. This may sound weird too, but I thought I hadn't shaved my legs in months and then noticed that my hair has stopped growing. It's a huge worry for me. I suffered from anorexia in my teens and my biggest fear is that I'm severely depressed right now and I simply want to fade away. In other words, starve myself to ? . I managed some porridge yesterday morning and all I've eaten since then are a few cornflakes. I do have multi vits for my immune system, but admittedly I stopped taking them some time ago. Will do my best to at least take those and I have a litre flask of water by my bed. Thank you for your advice. xx

• Posted

Yes. I was on fentenayl patch for 5 years. My pain management doctor just cut me off them last week cold turkey. This is he'll. I can't take these withdrawals. I feel you

• Posted

Oh my goodness. Not is horrendous. I just don't understand how they can do that to you. I was on Fentanyl for just 4 months, but stopped taking it immediately as soon as I found out how strong it was. That was however MY choice. I was on Oramorph and Zomorph though, so it wasn't so bad. Do you have any other prescribed Opioids? There are drugs such as Clonidine that can help with the side effects and anti nausea/anxiety meds. I finally found out that my GP wouldn't give me Clonidine because it lowers blood pressure and I have always suffered from low blood pressure. Why the hell she didn't explain that to me in the first place I do not know.

My heart really does go out to you. Please PM me if you need to. xxx

• Posted

Hi Emmy, 

I find this appalling that a dr who puts  you on this strong meds to start with after ure orrific injuries and l can only imagine the pain you have bn in, won’t bring you down gently and keep an eye on you until you’re completely of everything, she should be monitoring you plus there are meds out there drs can prescribe to ease the withdrawals, no pm dory p that no this is appealing and suggest you go to another dr in the same practice fir help  instead l mean u haven’t been abusing  them you have health n pain problems,l find this disgusting please go get a 2nd opinion of another dr and plz let me know how you get on, also is she just stoped or have u asked to come of ether way it’s still appalling,

Take care

Love n light 🌸??🌸

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.