"New" report that home BP readings are good

Posted , 5 users are following.

Morning news in the US includes a "new" report that home BP readings "can be good", to avoid "white coat hypertension". What arrogance. Of COURSE it is good, better than one reading a year while you stand naked in a cold office, OMG.

I see a permalink on this very group to something like the same point - oh, we can't even paste those in now? Well, you'll see it, "Home and Ambulatory Blood Pressure Recording".

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I sincerely think you need to change your doctor if they make you get naked just to take a BP reading..........hmmmmm

• Posted

Having a home BP monitor enabled me to know that I had white coat syndrome. I have only developed this in the last year. Before that I had no problems. My GP arranged an ambulatory monitor for a day which clearly showed that whilst in the surgery my BP was high and when I left it dropped back.

• Posted

jx41870...Yes, most times we only get one bp reading when in the Dr. office. Sometimes they'll repeat the reading., but not very often. One reading does not a diagnosis make.

A friend of mine attended his Dr. office. His bp reading was 118/78. The Dr. asked him if it was always this low, & my friend told him that he doesn't monitor his bp. Believe it or not, that Dr. told him to cut his bp tablet in half.!!!!!!! I can't imagine any Dr. adjusting medication on just one reading!!!!!!! My friend is easily led & he followed the instruction. I can tell you one thing for sure, if it were me in that situation, my doctor would not have adjusted the medication with just the one reading. My friend's bp could have risen a little when he left the office.

Some people don't monitor their own bp anymore because of the anxiety levels. They just can't do it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.