?Parkinsons

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am wondering if anyone diagnosed with Parkinson's had/has any of these symptoms apart from trembling which I also have.

I have constant fasciculations in my hands at rest and my fingers will slowly move independently.

At the moment I am holding my tablet with four fingers and my thumb first violently shakes and then slowly moves away from the rest of my fingers - it is quite unnerving!

If I sit with my hand stretched out on my thigh within about five minutes my fingers will have curved into a ball and the hand will have slowly sunk to my side.

Sometimes a joint will lock, usually fingers.

Sometimes I get a cramp like spasm all down either one leg or my toes on either foot will stick out rigidly - very painful - but momentary as I shake the affected bit out. This usually happens when lying down having just woken up.

My handwriting is very erratic going from normal to small to large - I do have arthritis in my hands so writing has got worse anyway.

Any body recognise these symptoms please? When I mentioned to GP a few years ago he dismissed them as fasciculations. I did actually see a neurologist privately he was not concerned but things are getting worse. I do already take beta blockers and fluoxetine which might account for the fuzzy head feeling I am also experiencing but the trembling/involuntary movements started before the I started to take the latter!

Thankyou

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Linda,

I was diagnosed with Parkinsonism - approx 20 years ago - 10 years after a Traumatic Head Injury

My handwriting is micrographic and unreadable

I suffer from muscle spasms and cramp - especially at night

I also get joint locking up

• Posted

Hi Steve

Thanks for your reply. I still have all the symptoms I mentioned in my original post but after an MRI scan (paid for privately as the NHS waiting list to see a neurologist was 27 weeks) the neurologist still says I have Essential Tremor - I don't need to take any medication (yet) and perhaps I never will. However I still can't get to the reason for the involuntary slow limb or finger movements. Best wishes.

• Posted

Work out at a gym, and things will improve. Condition your body, and prepare it for older age.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.