"Silent" Kidney Stones/Can stones be found by accident on an XRAY?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had to have an xray of my lumbar spine due to throwing out my back on Thanksgiving. In the report, which did find issues with my spine there was also a section that stated:

"A FEW CALCIFIED PHLEBOLITHS PROJECTED OVER THE PELVIS ARE

PRESENT. THERE IS A POSSIBLE 2 MM STONE PROJECTED OVER THE

EXPECTED LOCATION OF THE UPPER POLE OF THE RIGHT KIDNEY AND

POSSIBLE ADDITIONAL TINY STONES IN THE 2 MM RANGE PROJECTED

OVER THE EXPECTED LOCATION OF THE LOWER POLE OF THE LEFT

KIDNEY."

About a year ago I had a kidney MRI for another reason and no stones were found, but they did find

"KIDNEYS AND URINARY TRACT: THE KIDNEYS FUNCTION NORMALLY AND

DEMONSTRATE NO HYDRONEPHROSIS. SMALL T1 HYPERINTENSE LESION AT

THE LATERAL MARGIN OF THE EDGE OF THE UPPER POLE OF THE LEFT

KIDNEY THAT SHOWS LOSS OF SIGNAL ON THE OUT OF PHASE CHEMICAL

SHIFT SEQUENCE CONSISTENT WITH FAT.. ON THE CORONAL IMAGES,

THIS IS SEEN AT THE LATERAL MARGIN OF THE RENAL CORTEX AND

MEASURES ABOUT 6 X 6 MM. I SUSPECT THIS REPRESENTS A

JUNCTIONAL PARENCHYMAL CORTICAL DEFECT OF THE KIDNEY AS

OPPOSED TO A ANGIOMYOLIPOMA."

I did visit an urologist who said I had a genetic kidney defect.

My question is could the genetic defect be showing up on the xray as possible kidney stones? Can an xray determine kidney stones? Has anyone had silent kidney stones found by accident?

I would appreciate anyone's thoughts as I am still waiting to hear from my primary doctor for the test results.

Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

An X-Ray cannot see very much. I had a 5mm stone that was bothering me, pain, and yet I came away with a clean X-Ray. A CT scan is what is needed to see exactly what is happening. Stone has since been removed by uteroscopy.

• Posted

I agree with moltoncore here.

A CT scan is what is needed.

Hope you manage to sort this out.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

thank you both!

• Edited

Silent kidney stones are very common.

5% of ultrasound scans performed for any reason reveal silent kidney stones.

CT scan, which is more sensitive, occasionally reveals silent stones in 10% of patients.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.