?sleep apnea and svt

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone, I have got an appointment with my GP on Wed!

My cardiologist thinks it might be a good idea to be referred to have a sleep study done as my diagnosed svt episodes always come on during or just after sleep... ( not quite sure of the location so might not be a candidate for ablation ) Also Hoping to have EP sudy done to try and locate, so I can have the ablation...

Anyone relate to this?  

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have had PAF for eight years and my GPs eventually suggested I was referred to a sleep clinic as I was having such trouble with problems in my sleep. Been episode free since being diagnosed with mild sleep apnea and starting on a CPAP machine. Surprising that this was missed by all the Cardiologists who kept giving me more medication. Good luck it's well worth checking out.

• Posted

Interesting...

I just feel because I wake up out of sleep with my svt episodes so there Must be a connection!

I actually asked my cardiolodist re the sleep apnea and she did say it would be worth being referred to a sleep clinic.

I sometimimes get frustrated and feel they dont't actually Listen to all you are telling them!

Yes they give the diagnosis and medication - But suffering for 8 years and then finding out you have sleep apnea!!!

Were your episodes on waking from sleep?    

• Posted

I have also done the Epworth Study online test for SA and score quite high! What other symptoms did you have?

How long did you wait for an appointment and what tests did they do?

I live in Glasgow and the waiting list is about 3 months!

I have even considered going private if it meant an end to this suffering and getting my Life Back!

• Posted

Typically woken up by AF around 1 to 2 am but started wakening up with rapid but regular heartbeat around 5.0 am with terrible feeling that something awful had happened. Gasping and feeling very disorientated. GP tried all different tests without anything showing then after speaking to her colleagues suggested referral to sleep clinic. I am not overweight as most apnea sufferers and only have it mildly but was enough to affect my heart.
    • Posted

Waited couple of months for clinic appointment then about 6 weeks for overnight sleep study at hospital but didn't sleep a wink! Then waited another few weeks for a home sleep study that surprised the consultant when it showed that I woke up around 7 times an hour with low oxygen levels (this is only mild apparently ). The CPAP machine works but takes a long time to get used to . Might be worth going privately but the machines are pretty expensive to buy. Not many NHS clinics around apparently hence the long waits.

• Posted

My AF used to wake me in middle of night typically 1.30 or 5.15am for some reason OR in day usually after eating even something simple.      I was never referred for sleep test but it does sound like a good idea.   It sounds good to me that they are trying to work out the cause. 
    • Posted

I wasn't offered the sleep study...

I am going to ask my GP for a referral...

I would do anything to go back to life without svt...

I have Always had anxiety but obviously it's soo much worse since this diagnosis. And something I will have to deal with as it's certainly not help this situation!!!

• Posted

Hi mine always started around 2am and lasted 12 hours. Sometimes after eating , had ablation a month ago so far so good.

Good luck.

• Posted

Was it svt? How high did your heart rate go up to, and did you have to go to hospital or did they just convert back on their own...

My problem is I get soo scared when it comes on...

• Posted

It's a vicious circle Gillian, the anxiety only makes it worse and makes the heart go faster dissent it.

• Posted

CBT is a good start.  CBT is based on the idea that they way we think about situations can affect the way we behave.  it will make you understand your responses and hopefully respond to situations in a better way.  This hopefully will reduce anxiety.     I didn't do CBT but did look at why I respond in certain ways and my personality type. I was still left with the feelings and have found EFT a great benefit because it shifts the feelings.   EFT hightly recommended  - you can do it yourself with a simple book or watch utube or find someone locally you practising it. Once the technique is learnt you can do it very simply in the 'moment' when a stressful situation is happening. 

• Posted

Thanks,

I was thinking of trying CBT, I know for sure my personality type is I always think the worst!

I have already googled EFT (never heard of it before) and will certainly give it a go...

What is your experience with svt - and how does it affect your life?

• Posted

That's a long story.    Keeping it simple - had AF since 2011.  Had ablation 2013 and never been right since.   Had AF again from Jan 2015 and another Ablation in Jan 2017 for AF and SVT  - still in recovery!!!    Also had 1 episode 2 weeks after op  - still on meds  but will soon be coming off - time alone will tell I guess.   I have other medicals problems which are non specific in diagnosis but very specific and life limiting which are not thought to be connected.   Ho ho ho.     A lot of people on the site talk aobut feeling anxious and I would imagine CBT will help them.   Luckily for me I don't get anxious I am just worn out  with the symptoms.   EFT keeps me sane.  I use it myself and have a regular counselling session with it.   Otherwise I think I would go around the bend.    Good luck with your journey

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.