'some bronchiectasis'

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was told last Friday after by a chest consultant investigating my chronic cough of many years that I have 'some bronchiectasis' but that it's not really significant and many people may be walking around with that amount and not even know it. I have had a chronic cough for many years, produce yellow/green mucus daily, have periods of heavy fatigue, reccurant infections and have been majorly Vit D deficient. I also have ulcerative colitis which resulted in a sub total colectomy 2 years ago. I have read that UC and bronciectasis can go hand in hand and was wondering if anyone could shed any light on why he was so dismissive of the part that this bronciectasis could be playing? My lung function tests were better than average, which as long time runner I expected and I am not unduly worried for the present about it but as someone who was told nothing of the seriousness of ulcerative colitis upon my diagnosis yet 10 years later had to have their bowel removed because of it I am eager to be fully aware of any progressive disease.        

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I think you are on the right track to be as aware of your medical conditions as possible, so that you make sure are getting the best care from your medical professionals and also giving yourself the best possible care. You've come to the right place. Ask any and all questions that you have. 

Best 

Russ

• Posted

Thanks Russ, I am grateful they are still doing more tests to find out what is causing the cough but its just frustrating when things keep being eliminated but still not knowing what it is.  

• Posted

Your bronchx sounds as though it is minor, much the same as mine. My consultant, a U.K. Expert prescribed azrythromycin and that pretty much fixed it except when I get colds. How this would work with your UC is not known
    • Posted

Thank you for the reply, they've now mentioned it could be cough hypersensitity syndrome as they have ruled out Eosinophilic bronchitis but they are giving me a bronchoscopy in a few weeks to be sure as the cough has previously completely disappeared when I have taken oral steroids for my UC which would indicate inflamation. I'm in the UK too and the clinic have been excellent and very thorough with their investigations.

• Posted

Hi I have bronchiectasis and also had problems with my bowel resulting in having half my colon removed after it perforated, pancreatitis, severe gastritis, acid reflux at night. I hadn't realised that there might be a link between them all. I've noticed my Bronchiectasis is worse after eating, producing more mucus. I feel for all concerned 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.