..Starting Methotrexate and I have COPD and Brochiecstasis

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi fellow RA sufferers,

I've been diagnosed with RA for almost a year now. In that time I have tried Sulphasalasine Plaquenil and most recently Leflunomide all with a background dose of 15mgs Prednisolone. Still continuing to have quite severe symptoms. I'm due to start Methotrxate next week.

Has anyone out there experienced Methotrexate with pre existing lung problems like mine? I would appreciate any comments/advice.

Thankyou

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Catherine

I was on Methotrexate for about 5 years. I already had Bronchiectasis. I was on tablets initially, but as the dose got higher I felt nauseous and had blackouts so was changed to injections. I also had 10mg Leflunomide. The treatment was very successful and I only stopped using Methotrexate in January 2013 because I was about to start chemotherapy in February 2013. I'm hoping I will be put back on it when I see my rheumy on 8th September.

• Posted

Catherine, I had bronchiectasis long before I was diagnosed with RA and PsA. TWenty years ago I started MTX and I've done well on the drug. I have since been diagnosed with COPD.

Strongly suggest you work with a rheumatologist AND a pulmonologist. This is NOT something for a GP to monitor.

• Posted

.... Thankyou for your replies....

I've been on Prednisolone all the way through,( currently on 10mgs,) It has proven to be the only thing that has kept my symptoms under any kind of control, but I now been diagnosed with Osteoporosis too. Steroids were supposed to be a temporary measure until the DMARDS started to work., and because of the side effects my Rheumatologist wants me off them.

Has anyone out there been through this many DMARDS without improvement...and did Methotrexate help on it's own ??

My Rheumatologist talks more to her computer than she does to me ...in fact the last time I saw her she was extremely 'off hand' with me ...presumably because her 'treatment plan' wasn't working for me.....as if it were my fault !!

I'm concerned about starting another potentially dangerous drug, suffering the side effects as I have with the others and still not getting relief from this awful condition. I live alone which makes life tricky as it is.....any comments/advice very gratefully recieved.

• Posted

I've been on MTX for about 23 years now. I was on MTX and folic acid and NSAIDS for 19 of those years. Yes, the MTX was amazing. However, I found that every year or so the dose had to be increased because the body starts building up a tolerance to it. Still, it worked for me and for so many others.

I've been on Humira and MTX for about 4 years now. It's REALLY a gamechanger.

Steroids should NEVER be a mainstay of treatment for this disease. It might be helpful to be on them for a couple weeks initially to get the inflammation down, but never for much longer. In fact, I adamantly refused oral steroids.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.