"Stiff" Thyroid

Posted , 2 users are following.

My endocringoloist felt my thyroid today and said it was “stiff” and “inflexible”. She ordered an ultrasound, but did not elaborate what she thought was wrong. Any ideas? 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello Morganacorrales:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA.  I have Hashimoto's thyroid disease since 1987.

Our thyroid gland should be softer and the tissue should not be dense. Sometimes it changes as we age and it is wise to have an ultrasound to check for nodules or any abnormal tissue. 

An ultrasound can show a clear picture and see the shape of the thyroid and they can tell by measurements of the gland if it is enlarged from Hypothyroidism.

Hypothyroid disease can cause the thyroid to become stiff so if you have any of these symptoms it is wise to see an Endocrinologist also.

Hypo Symptoms: feeling cold, weight gain, brusing for no reason, sleepy all the time, muscle aches and pains, low body temp and pulse, headaches, brittle nails and dry skin and scalp, alos brain foggy.  These are common ones and there are more.

So keep us posted on your progress and what they find in the ultrasound. Any questions just ask.

Shelly

• Posted

Thank you so much for the reply. My endocrinologist said my TSH levels were normal, but now we are waiting for an ultrasound. I will post when I know more. And yes, I have almost every symptom you named. Thanks again. 
  • Posted

My ultrasound revealed an enlarged thyroid and several nodules. Despire my symptoms and chronic hoarseness, my endocringoloist said nothing was wrong with my thyroid. No follow up.
    • Posted

Hello  Morganacorrales:

If swallowing becomes difficult do not wait.  Watch for any Goiter. See your Endo again ifthis gets worse.  You can ask for a Trial of Levothyroxine for symptoms of Hypothyroid.  You may have  to find a better Endocrinologist if this doctor is unwilling.

Thanks for the update.

Shelly

• Posted

My ultrasound also reads "goiter" but does not list any sizes. I would very much like to try Levothyroxine to see if it helps my symptoms, but my endocrinologist wil not treat me. She made that very clear. I will have to see if I can a second opinion. Thanks for the reply. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.