(Stressed) dog vomiting and diarrhea

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I don't know if I can place a animal related thing here as well, but I'll give it a try and advice will be appreciated.

My neighbor is in the hospital and I am taking care of her dog for while. The dog is very restless and I can feel her stress because she's in a new home and her owner isn't there. Not the most ideal situation because I have a burnout and anxiety disorder, but I can take some walks which is a good thing. Her stress is at evening/night at her highest point and I am waking up in a home full of vomit and diarrhea which isn't great at all. I'm walking with her 4 times a day. 3 times like 10 minutes and 1 time 20/30 minutes.

What can I do to calm her a bit down and stop the diarrhea and vomit? I mean, my whole home smells like crap right now which sucks. I'm thinking to let her fasting, but I don't know if that's a great idea with a German shepherd?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

are you able to contact the dogs owner to ask advice?

also, is the dog having its usual food that its use to eating?

perhaps stop the feeding after say 6pm but have plenty fresh water available.

IF it isnt a problem money wise.... id buy some hypoallergenic food so that it would be gentle on its stomach

failing that , white boiled rice and chicken?

If it continues, i think it may need a visit to the vet for something to settle either its nerves or it could be a virus

sorry its not much more helpful.

hope it gets easier

• Posted

Try to call a veterinary clinic for advice or take the dog there . You may be able to charge it to the dog's owner.

• Posted

The owner is very sick so I don't want to bother her with another problem if you know what I mean (just yet). I gave her just her regular food the last couple of days and some treats. Today I boiled some rice for her because I read it online. She ate it all and I was pretty surprised about it, because I didn't put any meat in it.

The diarrhea and vomit is over today, but she's still very nervous and she's panting a lot although there is no reason for it. I hope tonight will go well and everything stays a bit clean.. It doesn't seem she's sick, but just very stressed. If it will take much longer I'll contact the owner and maybe the veterinarian as well.

• Posted

firstly I would like to say what a very caring person you are !! 😃 and rice is a great food with tummy upsets, I was going to suggest ice cream if she seemed to be a bit dehydrated ,it helps to give some energy and calories to give them some get up and go to want to drink a bit more etc , I have owned dogs my whole life I'm 41.. I have 4 in my family home right now . stress is hard on pets as they get very very low, I recently went into hospital and 2 of my dogs were howling every night for that week even though the 4 kids and father were there , I didnt know where the hell I was or what was going on . same as my dad who passed away from aggressive cancer 3 months ago , his dog doesn't bark anymore and seems to be on a diet 😦 he is changed and its devastating.

this is why I'm happy that you are looking after her and asking advice to help her.

I hope her mum is home soon. she will have routine and that's massive in a dogs life just like a child . oh and plain chicken or plain fish is very good too with rice. not cheap but works and helps the gut heal , hope all is back to normal very soon

• Posted

just see I put ' I didnt know where the hell is as etc , I meant THEY ( the dogs ) oh and they got bought up to see me in the hospital gardens and car park when I had a 7 week stay a few year back. that worked wonders for them lol x

• Posted

Take her to the vet. Do you know which vet your neighbour uses?

• Posted

Luckily the owner is coming back tomorrow and she will take her to the vet. I don't have a car so I can't do it myself and it will be the best if the owner take her with her. I don't know exactly what she has, but the problem is already known. I hope she will do fine again soon 😃

• Posted

She will be great as soon as she sees her owner. Problem solved.

• Posted

If you Google "dog vomiting and diarrhoea" you will get information targeted to the dog. If the dog has been ill for more than 48 hours it suggests seeking veterinary help, in case the dog is dehydrated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.