“The gold standard” and Recovery time in different countries .

Posted , 7 users are following.

My doctor told me I hot the gold standard. Has anyone else heard that term? The surgery lastet 3.5 hours and I stayed for observation fir 1 night. I am a stay at home mom of littles but if I would work I would get maximum 6 days. How about you guys?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

hi there not heard that, which country are you in? Also which surgery did you have? I had spinal sacrohystetopexy and posterior repair, in hospital two night then home. Recovery good and started swimming at two half weeks, then got persistent uti which seems to be going after multiple trips and conversations with gp and second lot of antibiotics. Signed off work 6 weeks and can extend for another 2 if necessary.

While your recovery seems good please make sure you don't overdo it especially with lifting.

• Posted

yes my dr said gold standard when he was talking about my tvt for urethrea i live in canada

• Posted

in Canada the surgeries are different with different names. I'd suggest resting for at least 6 weeks as yiu gave had a lot of work done.

in UK its standard to rest fir minimum of 6 weeks before return to a sedentary job.

if you have a physical job it should be longer..

• Posted

daniela. Wow, detailed notes you got! I also had spinal fixation but with mesh around vagina to help suspension (controversial I know).

I didn't see the photo before. So two repairs and suspension. The sling you had seems an operation which has minor surgical incisions and faster recovery, with the mesh it takes 2-4 weeks to embed so you have to be careful of lifting, coughing, sneezing.

But given the length of surgery it's pretty major with two repairs. When I had anterior repair three years ago was signed off for 8 weeks (I did go back to work after three).

• Posted

Hi Helen, I did get the mesh as well, recovery is do much better at 3 weeks. i caved and bought a donut ring last week. it made a huge difference.

wow 8 weeks that is great!!! I am grateful gor my husband since we are chasing toddlers.

• Posted

hi there is yours vaginal mesh or around urethra, I think that makes a difference to amount used? A ring to sit on or a pessary?

• Posted

"Gold Standard" treatment just means you have been given the best treatment or surgical procedure that is currently known.I do agree with Helen that however good your surgery, you have had a lot of intervention and should give yourself plenty of rest with feet up for at least 2 weeks then no heavy lifting,including children, for at least 2 months. This sort of surgery is not obvious to those around you and they dont appreciate just how much you have had done. Look after yourself.

No penetrative sex for at least 2 months and then very slowly and cautiously with masses of lubrication. The urethral sling has to embed in the vaginal tissues for a successful outcome.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.