"The Vest"

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello everyone. I am catching on the this finally. The ID MD is trying me on a six month run of Aztromycin. I am using my vibrator to help break up secretions along with hydration, Saline Solution and Albuterol by nebulizer. Someone mention the tilt bed and I may try that. I'm wondering if anyone has tried "The Vest". I'm sure everyone is familiar, but just incase some of you aren't, it's a vest along with pulsating machine that essentially vibrates the chest to loosen secreations.

Ok that's all I have. Hope everyone to doing well.

Russ

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Good luck with that, Russell.

Let us know how it goes.

Ron.

• Posted

Ron,I wiil keep you posted. I'm not sure it is for me, but I am investigating therir benifits and the insurnace willing to help with the cost.

Russ

• Posted

I would also like to know if it is possible to purchase the vest for home use. I heard it really helps.
    • Posted

Alouette I wiil keep you posted. I'm not sure it is for me, but I am investigating therir benifits and the insurnace willing to help with the cost.

Russ

• Posted

I own "the Vest" airway clearance system from Hill-rom. I've had it since I was diagnosed 3 years ago and do it daily for 20 min after albutirol neb it has helped me tremendously and simple to use Insurance covered most of it as it is expensive but will have the rest of my life. I'm 57 now. Good luck
    • Posted

I have been becoming more interested in The Vest, bcause I really have trouble getting anything up in the moring. Im glad you gave it great review and it is working nicely for. I will now consider it as my first priority.

Thanks you, thank you.

Russ

• Posted

I also have a 'vest.  I've had it for over 12 years.  It was from Hill-Rom.  I was very imppressed with Hill-Rom.  Several years ago, it started losing power.  I called the company and they sent me a new one. I was to put the old one in the box that the new one came in, and set it out near the front door two days later.  It was picked up by UPS.  NO charge to me at all for shipping and the new machine.

It is helpful to lossen the mucus.

Beth

• Posted

Beth, I was just getting ready to email my doctor to order the Hill-Rom for me and you jsut made it an even better idea. Thank you.

Mary's letter above yours gave me some idea of how she uses hers. Can you tell me about your experience. As I mentioned, I can only get sputum up in the night time right now.

All my best,

Russ

• Posted

Russell,

I use the vest when I'm using my nebulizer.  Most of the time, my congestion is the worst in the morning. I use my nebulizer and vest shortly after I get out of bed and have a cup of coffee (coffee helps get my lungs and me, moving), then after using the neb and vest, I use a flutter valve and I then can get some mucus up.  

Mid day I do the same routine, but I include posturing, laying difference ways to help drain the lungs. Laying in a reclining postion with my head lower than my hips, helps the most. 

Late in the evening, I do the same routine as morning.

With the vest, you can use as often as nessessary, I use it for 15 minutes at each nebulizer treatment.  I'm surprised that more Bronch patients don't have the vest.  The down side, is that it's heavy, about 25 lbs and bulky, so if I'm traveling, I usually don't take it, I use my flutter valve more often.

Beth

• Posted

I feel the same way about others having access to the Vest. Easy to use but bulky if traveling. I just ask my doc about getting an acapella for when I travel as I don't want to risk taking Vest on plane. I hope it's easy to use We need to fight for what we need to prevent more damage and infections !
    • Posted

Mary, the Acapella, is simple. It's sort of like playing a toy flute. You can see it used on YouTube. Maybe you have already.

I have the Aerobika. and it helps a little bit. Certainly good for traveling, but nothing like a vest I tthink. Maybe you will have better luck with it than I have.

Best

Russ

• Posted

Beth, thanks for your routine shedule. I now have a place to start.I dont seem t have sputum in the morning, so perhaps it must be hiding down in my airways somewherfe needing a good vibration or two. Maybe if I listen to the Beach Boys.

I'm excited about the vest. My doctor mentioned it at our last visit, so as him to order it for me.

Have you ever traveled with your vest?

Best

Russ

• Posted

I don't travel with it. It's too heavy and with the vest, tubes and machine all in it's case, about the size of a smal suitcase. I always take my flutter valve.

A few years ago, while in the hospital, the therapist would use their cupped hands to 'beat' on my back.  They don't even do that anymore.  They have you use a acapella instead.

When they send you the vest, someone for the company will come to your house and show you how to use it, very helpful,

Beth

• Posted

Yes. People coming to house to show you how to use super helpful. Good luck getting one ordered
  • Posted

How do I buy this vest
    • Posted

It was recommended by my doctor, so you would need a prescription from your dr.  

At first, I had to 'rent' it monthly, I can't remember the amount.  After several months, I was able to 'buy' it, which the insurance picked up the cost. This was in 2000, and, I think, the cost was $8 or 9,000 dollars.  But it comes with a lifetime garrantee, so save all the info that it comes with.

• Posted

Fee,

Yes, Hill Rom is in the UK. I googled it.  They are a world wide company, speciallizing in medical equipment, hospital beds, etc.  

I googled Hill Rom Vest and alot of information came up, videos of the use of it for people with Bronchiectasis. The youtube video of the elderly man using it is the same as mine.

Hope this helps,  I really like using mine, it helps.

Beth

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.