'venlafaxine' How long do the side effects last

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi

Please help me..

I have suffering with depression most of my life, but after my 16 year old son hung himself August 18th 2012 I have grief combined with anxiety and depression.

I was put on 40mg fluoxetine but my head was 100 mph and my therapist can't keep me in the room to do CBT and REMD with me. So my GP has put me on venlafaxine 37.5mg twice a day and after 2 weeks bumped me up to 75mg twice a day.

I started on the 19th dec 13 and after a week I felt okay but was worried that bumping up to 150mg after 2 weeks was going to be a lot.

So after the first week I started taking 3 of the 37.5mg one in the morning two at night.

I feel crap!! I am 2 weeks into taking this drug and I am so tired, I have nightmares, I wake wet through from sweating in the night. I have terrible headache at the front of my head.

I feel house bound! Have no interest in shopping cleaning etc.

at least on Prozac I would have been on the January sales now lol

But I can't bare it, people!! Noise! I just want to stay in. My husband says I'm not concentrating. For instant when we went out shopping Xmas eve I was driving and he was saying, you paying attention? Did you see that etc etc

I feel like I've just passed my test and it feels awful.

I have been to therapy today and told her. She has spoke to my GP and she has rang me telling me not to take the 3 pills a day, go back to the two and if I can stick with it because they are a really good drug and really do work!!

My question is has anyone found this drug to work for them? Are my side effects normal ? How long will they last?

I feel like stopping and seeing what I would be like with nothing.

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I know it's been a while since you started this thread, but I was wanting to see if you would give an update? If you are still on the effexor and how it's going?

Thank you

• Posted

Bless you hunny how hard life has been for you and so many of us ,all I can do is tell you how I am today after 9 x days cold turkey from Venlafaxine and its hell on earth my symptoms are scaring my grandkids 

so iv asked family to stay away till im more level ,I was on Prozac for a few months omg then 

seroxate/peroxatrine for 7 yrs then for the last 6 yrs on VENLAFAXINE ,suicidal attemps in past due to 

sexual attack, beatings, ptsd ,death of children and parents etc etc too much evil stuff happened to the innocent 

little girl I was once ,now in my 50s seems everything eventually caugt up and  had 

a massive motorway crash with my brain emotions actions and who I was

(no idea who i am now ) after yet another betrayal by a loved one i lost the plot 

and planned for the last time my exit ,still not gone thru yet and as im a single 

mum ,nan and sister i do have loved ones but i live as a recluse and have not 

one single other person apart from family in my life ,begged and begged for 

help from mental health who have my name but dont give any needed help 

and thats not just from me my sister is a top health pro so knows what shes

talking about. WELL i stopped 25thfeb 2017 ,symptoms ,being sick for no

reason ,head like a blob of jelly wobbling everyhere  when im walking or 

sitting still ,eyes slow to react to what they are looking at ,unsteady is an 

understatement on my feet ,keep tripping up and falling ,extremem dizzy 

spells ,fainting , no proper appitite ,cannot concentrate ,speech jumbled 

and cannot remember correct words or say sentances without jumbling up ,

head seems to be having a sort of electric storm with zaps which make 

you jump ,full feature length dreams of a normal nature (rare for me)  sleep

hard to find but shattered all the time , feels like my head is a massive weight 

and constant bad bad headache ,constant hourly breaking down in sobbing 

the most horrndous tears for anything to nothing ,opening or moving eyes painful 

,ears very sensitive to sound and a lot more but I put the main ones as it may help

others understand , I am not going back on tablets as 14 yrs of my life have been

lost and can never be got back ,one thing that may worry you is you seem to find 

you have normal feelings something not felt for a long time depending on how long you were on tablets I was on 2 a day total dose I thing was 75 mgs , this has been 

hard writing as concentration is so poor and even trying to write is hard , I hope i manage

to get thru and survive and i dont mean that in a 'wo is poor me way' I mean it cos its win

or lose life with me ,cant live like an invisable person who the health people have

forgotten or dont have time for and believe me iv screamed for help, so if i dont get

thru i am unsure of what my incontrollable actions will do. For all those going cold 

turkey yur best bet is to get proffesional help with coming off as i would not recommend 

it but as im this far down the road 'this lady is not for turning' as they say , 

GOOD LUCK everyone , TAKE CARE and BLESS YOU ALL ..

No one can understand the pain emotionally of mental illness unless they walk the road sufferers do xxx

I dont ever want to be on this any mental health drug cos I lost so much of my life and I look at it like this

Id rather be depressed with no meds than depressed with meds that make no difference. xxx

• Posted

I also have weird side effects from Venlafaxine   and was wondering when the side effects end my doctor said that in 2 weeks I should be feeling normal with the medication I'm taking its been a day and a half and I'm feeling alittle calmer still every now and again shaky vision better but sometimes gotta rub on them we will get through this stay strong 

• Posted

Hi! How are u feeling now? You're prob past the 2 week point?

I started 37.5 Venlafaxine hcl er Sat March 10th, 4th dose today. Was prescribed for Vestibular Migraines w Vertigo... I'm also wheening slowly off Meclizine that I've been on for one year. I've noticed elevated BP, headaches and Nausua w the Venlafaxine. But this is to be a miracle drug to end my Vertigo, so I'm determined to stick it out. Im just impatient.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.