"Walk this way"

Posted , 10 users are following.

hi all,

now 8 weeks tkr, but don't feel I've got "a walk" yet,    Thought I was doing ok but husband said why are you walking with a straight leg?   

I thought I was bending it.    I know feel as if I am raising my knee to walk equal with my other leg.

how do you feel when walking does it come natural or do you have to concentrate?

sue x 

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sue

the thing is that we are concentrating so hard, rather than doing what comes naturally.  We are also so concerned that we don't trip, as jamming your foot into the floor is certainly not a nice experience for the knee!  Just take it easy and nature will take over in time.

Patsy

• Posted

Practice slow, steady heel 1st then ball of the foot then toe. You will find yourself bending the leg and walking straight. We a 'll seem to get in a hurry when we hit a certain point in the recovery and that puts us back in the stuff legged, limping mode.
  • Posted

You definitely have to concentrate. I have to keep reminding myself at 15 weeks post op to bend my knee and to put my heel down first when walking. I am still using one crutch due to ongoing problem but my physio told me the stand up straight, hold in the stomach and pull up the butt before taking each 'small' step to avoid any limping.
  • Posted

It certainly doesn't come naturally to begin with. I had to exaggerate the knee bend, lifting the leg more than necessary, for quite a while, to get my brain arund the idea that the knee would now bend without pain . . It did take a while!
  • Posted

For me personally bending my knee while walking did not come natural, I also walked and sometimes still do, with a straight leg.  I have an issue with my quads so I have to concentrate on lifting and bending my knee.  Hopefully in time we will walk with a more natural gait.
  • Posted

It is strang trying to walk normally, but start with raising you knee more, then heel ball of foot then toe,  might feel strange  but before long you will be walking and not concentrating.  No one looks at you funny while doing the marching walk.....
  • Posted

I was/am exactlly the same, and when it was drawn to my attention I kind of exagerated the bend , I did in fact get really uptight about it and became very self concious of it.I now think I was over thinking the whole thing! I am now 11 week and although I have a bit of a limp I have just about stopped  talking to myself ie bend,bend,bend,.My physio told me to relax and it would all come together. HE WAS RIGHT! its early days at 8 week your leg is still healing trust me if you do the work you will get there, best wishes to you
  • Posted

Hi Susan,  when I was 4 days post op in Hospital, I was walking around my room unaided, better than I had walked in 2 years......I was euphoric, and also high as a kite on drugs it would seem.  I don't feel like I have been able to walk normally since, but at least I have had a glimpse of what will come.  

I have great bend but I get a stiffness by my left knee, which inhibits straightening.  And I really struggle to get used to the sensation and clicking or clunking of the new knees.  Perhaps I should go back on the medication and days of euphoria...... Unfortunately I felt like the drugs were doing my head in after about 2 weeks. 

Good luck, and hopefully we will all feel more natural walking again soon.

cheers

Alison

• Posted

I think when walking it is a question of how well you are distributing your weight. This will come in time.

When walking we have to have our legs reasonably straight (though not stiff) otherwise your knee will just give way.

Keep walking as you feel comfortable and it will improve

Love Sarah x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.