* weeks post TNR

Posted , 4 users are following.

This forum has been so very helpful and encouraging to me. Thank you all. I am now 8 weeks after left knee replacement. I have PT 2 times weekly, and am progressing with ROM. Still have a a long way to go to get full extension. I am having a real problem with continued swelling, redness, and the feeling that there is a very tight band around my whole knee. Saw the surgeon last week and he said it is a nerve syndrome . Recommended 1000 mgs. Vitamin C, topical Zoltran at Bedtime, and increased icing. Has anyone else experienced this ? I would greatly appreciate input and any suggestions that might have helped get through this stage of recovery! Thank You!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Marilyn, Did your Dr. say if it would ever go away? I have the exact same symptoms as you. Plus numbness and knee pain. Mt PT and Surgeon says it is "Normal". It can last up to a year. I am already starting my 5th month after the TKR. Icing is the thing that saved me from going crazy. I already take 1,000 of Vitamin C. My insurance won't cover Zoltran. Keep us posted.

• Posted

Thank You so much! I too already take 1,000 Vitamin C, and the Zoltran does not seem to help. I plan to keep as active as possible, not overdo, and plow throughr yet another stage of the journey! My numbness and pain are at their worst during the night. How about you?

• Posted

All completely common within the first 3 months. All the symptoms you describe will then usually start to gradually ease up and go away although some tightness may still be apparent up to 18 months. Try these at home for your ROM...

Home ROM

...and then start the exercise program to rebuild your atrophied quads, glutes and core. Having these muscles back at full strength will be your best bet to avoid more pain.

Muscle Rebuild

This will occupy the rest of your first year. Be patient...it all comes back in time.

• Posted

Chico I am doing most of the things you recommend. We were fortunate to find a barely used NUSTEP for next to nothing. I get on it 3 times a day. Is speed better than slow and easy? I am on level 4. Should I continue with acceleration when it's hurting my knee? In could never do 30 to 45 minutes at a time to warm up. Maybe if I were 30 years younger.

The slides are the one thing that really make a difference. I do them on my bed. Add the strap and aim for 25, then I turn over still using the strap and pull back. My Rom was 75 after the TKR , 125 when I was discharged from PT. My other leg was 135. I know it is better now as I can slide further back now and lift my leg to put the belt on.

I can't get on board with the 2# weights. I am not young and thin and won't risk further injury. Maybe some day.

Squats and stairs are still hard. I have to go down the stairs putting each foot on one step at a time. We just have one hand guard. BUT coming up the stairs I can do it normally.

My soon to be niece in law is a PT in another state, at Easter dinner I asked her to take a look at my knee. She says it is stiff at the bottom of the incision and just under my knee. She says scar tissue will build there if I don't do some hard circles there, push up and down. It is supposed to hurt. It sure does and I did them yesterday.

I am having surgery Wednesday and will be laying on my side that the TNR was done on. For an hour and a half. So afraid I will loose everything and not be able to put pressure on it. Any thoughts?

I think we should call you the TKR whisperer...you are so knowledgable. Thanks so much for your your support!!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.