? Whiplash 5 months post RTA

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hello,

I had a RTA earlier this year and since then have been trawling the internet trying to find some information. I am hoping some of you will be able to give me some answers! I will try and be as concise as possible but apologies in advance for the lengthy information… I am desperate!!

On 17th April of this year, a third party hit me from behind; I was stationary, waiting to turn right; he hit me whilst travelling about 40mph. Police, ambulance and fire services all attended the scene and after some discussion about whether to cut the roof off my car to get me out, I managed to manoeuvre myself out and was taken to hospital in an ambulance; neck brace and body board included! My car was a total loss.

I immediately felt pain and a burning sensation at the base of my head/top of my neck, followed by nausea and vertigo. At hospital I was examined and told I had whiplash. I was given some written information and advised to rest and take anti-inflammatories/pain killers. I was bed-bound for the next 5/6 days. When I was well enough to attend my GP surgery they prescribed Naproxen. I was off work for 7 working days in total before having to return due to financial reasons!

What seemed like a relatively minor rear-end shunt at the time has caused me constant pain and frustration over the past 4 months. I presented initially with classic whiplash symptoms; neck pain, restricted movement, headaches, numbness etc. The Solicitor dealing with my personal injury claim through my insurance company arranged for a medical report and psychiatric assessment and I also had 15 sessions of physio (6 initially, then an extra 9 agreed in 3 lots of 3). The Psychiatrist recommended 8-12 sessions of CBT as I have developed nervousness, anxiety etc. when driving as a result of the accident.

Over the last 2 months the pain has become unbearable; my neck is on agony upon waking almost daily (I am woken every night by pain and struggle to sleep), it feels hot and sweaty, even if the rest of my body temperate feels normal, I don’t remember a day in the last 5 weeks where I haven’t had a headache, I find it difficult to concentrate, I am irritable and emotional; one minute I feel relatively happy and the next I lash out at loved ones, I have awful spasms in my shoulders that send shooting pains down my entire arm and leave me with tingling and weakness in my hand, I get numbness and “dead” feeling in both arms; predominantly my left arm which feels heavy and I have to fight with it to make it work! I am constantly tired, I suffer from bad episodes of fatigue, where I get into bed and sleep for 15 hours at a time! I have vertigo, feelings of being spaced out and not in the room, which is usually accompanied by tinnitus. I get a severe burning pain in my neck, which radiates down my spine into the base of my back, across my shoulders, into my head and behind my eyes and down my arms. I’m even getting weakness in my legs, where I feel like they don’t work (which turns the 5 minute walk from the tube station to work into a 15 minute walk). I have noticed over the past couple of weeks difficulty swallowing and a really dry mouth (after having kidney stones last summer I am very conscious of drinking more than enough fluids per day and am certain that this dry mouth isn’t related to dehydration due to not drinking enough).

I feel unable to commit to plans and my social life is pretty much non-existent. I went out for the first time with my friends at the end of June and the whole experience was one I never want to repeat – I felt hot, dizzy, my heart was racing.. I am only 23 and I desperately want that carefree, happy young girl to be back but I just cannot see any light at the end of the tunnel. I can’t stand the recrimination from people who don’t understand: “it’s just pain” – I wouldn’t wish it upon my worst enemy! I have a very understanding partner whom I live with but I think even he is struggling to understand the constant mood swings and change in my behaviour; I have lost my libido and this is really putting a strain on our relationship.

I have a 1.5 hour commute into work every day, which involved an hour’s drive followed by 30 minutes on the tube. I am in pain before I even leave the house in the morning. I work as a medical secretary, which is obviously a pretty sedentary job and this is what I find really hard – sitting in the same place for 8 hours a day – I have to get up and walk around every 15 minutes.

I attended my GP last Monday and was prescribed Amitriptyline 10mg, with the aim of being used as a muscle relaxant and to calm the nerves. I am not getting on with this at all; I feel drowsy throughout the mornings, I am nauseous and dizzy. I have another appointment at the end of this week and am keeping my fingers crossed that they will be able to provide me with another solution! After speaking with numerous colleagues, friends, family etc. I am under the impression that as it has now been over 5 months and my symptoms have not improved, I should be requesting some further investigations (MRI in the first instance) in order to see whether there is any facet joints/discs…

Does anyone have any advice or has anyone been through the same thing or similar and would be able to help me as to the next steps I need to take with regards to getting a diagnosis and having some treatment. I am literally at the end of my tether!

Thank you so much in advance smile

Aimi

3 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Aimi

I am so sorry for what you are going through, my daughter in law was in a similar position, she was hit

from behind and was told it was whip lash and was given pain killers.She was given 5 physio treatments

but she was not healing and was getting worse so she demanded to be referred to hospital.Straight

away they diagnosed the problem the bone at the bottom of her spine and hip had been shunted out of

place she was then under the hospital for treatment for two years Im glad to say she is now fine.I am not saying this is your problem but if you are not satisfied demand to be referred to someone who can give

you answers, if that is not with your doctor then change your doctor be polite but forceful you know your

own body

Good Luck

Moscatty

• Posted

Thank you for your reply - I have been advised by lots of family and friends to make sure I am firm with my GP and get some further investigations. Do any health professionals or any one who has been through the same as me have any further advice about what exactly I should be requesting?!

Regards,

Aimi

• Posted

Thank you for your reply - I have been advised by lots of family and friends to make sure I am firm with my GP and get some further investigations. Do any health professionals or any one who has been through the same as me have any further advice about what exactly I should be requesting?!

Regards,

Aimi

• Posted

I told my daughter inlaw i had emailed you she said to also tell you, at the hospital

she saw an osteopath i do`nt know if this makes a difference.

If you are getting no where with your doctor could you go straight to the hospital,

without being referred, as it seems you hear all the time that people are by passing

GPs and going straight to A &E

Hope you get some answers soon

Moscatty

• Posted

I've read that an Osteopath is the right route to head down...

I have another appt this afternoon and am determined to come out of it with some sort of satisfaction! Will let you know how it goes.

In the meantime, any advice from anyone else would be fantastic!!

Thanks again,

Aimi

• Posted

Hi 

I am going through very similar pain and symptoms .

To top it all I am travelling to Greece in afrw days to my sons wedding and wondering how ever I am going to cope !!

Head pains , burning on shoulders head and back ,

Virtigo weakness when walking , weak painful left arm , nausea , tinnitus and ear problems , terrible anxiety / depression .. Tears come very easy for no reason , twitchy feet that drive me nuts , basically feel it can cope better if I lock my self away at home alone most of the time .

I had no idea all this would be possible from what I thought a minor smash from behind !!!

So I know how you feel and I am glad I am not alone ...

• Posted

Hi. I experienced ALL the same debilitaing symptoms.  STEM CELL Treatments: I sufferred from whiplash for two years after a rough chiropratic neck adjustment. The only true healing is with STEM cell shots to the injured joints and then lidocaine and other shots are needed to train the surrounding muscles to relax.  Thi sprocess took me a bit over a year. Be encouraged because after the STEM Cell shots I felt almost immediate relief from the constant pain and burning in my neck and at the base of my skull.  I was treated at Weill Cornell Medical in NYC.  The doctor's name is  Alfred Gelhorn and he is in the Rehabilitation Department. There is also a clinic should one not have insurance. (212) 746-1500

I implore you to make an appointment if you are suffering from whiplash or whiplash type injury to the neck. I went undiagnosed for one year because my MRI, CAT scans and Xrays showed nothing due to the fact that whiplash is a soft tissue injury. With a physical exam and the doctor actually listening to my symptoms he treated me with the STEM Cell shots.  I had to emphasize that Physical Therapy, massages, nor accupuncture had worked and I pleaded for help. I am so grateful to Jesus that my prayer was answered and I found DR. Gelhorn. God be with all who are suffering and give you the courage to seek this treatment. 

• Posted

Hi I am not sure how or where you are redrawing your health. If it helps I too was hit by a car two months ago. At the time I was checked over by the paramedics & other than a airbag burn, I appeared fine. Two days later I noticed a pain in my lower back spine was appearing. I just the usual painkillers etc. The pain continued to get worse so I went to A&E I was advices it's expected because I have had a RTA. 

I have been back & forth to the hospital, doctors & physio. My doctor referred me last week for a MRI scan. The results came back this week & highlight I have a slipped disk. I would recommend that you ask your doctor to refer you for a MRI scan this should identify any underlining issues. 

I too like you have expressed all the same symptoms numbness, pain, unable to stand or sit for long periods. Yes, it does totally change your life & the person you were 

• Posted

Hi Aimi

I had an accident on 6th of dec 2014 and suffering from the same situation

Can u help?

• Posted

STEM CELL Treatments: I sufferred from whiplash for two years after a rough chiropratic neck adjustment. The only true healing is with STEM cell shots to the injured joints and then lidocaine and other shots are needed to train the surrounding muscles to relax.  Thi sprocess took me a bit over a year. Be encouraged because after the STEM Cell shots I felt almost immediate relief from the constant pain and burning in my neck and at the base of my skull.  I was treated at Weill Cornell Medical in NYC.  The doctor's name is  Alfred Gelhorn and he is in the Rehabilitation Department. There is also a clinic should one not have insurance. (212) 746-1500

I implore you to make an appointment if you are suffering from whiplash or whiplash type injury to the neck. I went undiagnosed for one year because my MRI, CAT scans and Xrays showed nothing due to the fact that whiplash is a soft tissue injury. With a physical exam and the doctor actually listening to my symptoms he treated me with the STEM Cell shots.  I had to emphasize that Physical Therapy, massages, nor accupuncture had worked and I pleaded for help. I am so grateful to Jesus that my prayer was answered and I found DR. Gelhorn. God be with all who are suffering and give you the courage to seek this treatment. 

• Posted

HI

i was in RTA hit on the rear side of car which turned my car over 3-4 times ,

this happened in may 2013 and have symptons which resemble yours I am now waiting for my surgery date upon my neck which will see two disc replacements and if I am correct some kind of cage inserted around my spine.

also surgery has been mentioned to the lumber region of spine at a later date

all of which I understand is due to degenerative condition however i have no history of back/neck pain untill accident .

you need to insist on an MRI scan the results will lead you to the care required as to surgery being succsesfull I have yet to find out as for the question mark over what is to blame for all pain (RTA/DEGENARATIVE) that lies with my legal rep

funny how i was not in any pain prior to RTA though!

• Posted

Hi John,

Whiplash gets worse over time.  After one year my pain travelled from the base of my skull, down my arms and into my upper back.  Not to mention the headaches and nasuea. STEM Cell shots to the injured joints is what healed me and stopped the constant pain.  STEM CELL Treatments: I sufferred from whiplash for two years after a rough chiropratic neck adjustment. The only true healing is with STEM cell shots to the injured joints and then lidocaine and other shots are needed to train the surrounding muscles to relax.  This process took me a bit over a year. Be encouraged because after the STEM Cell shots I felt almost immediate relief from the constant pain and burning in my neck and at the base of my skull.  I was treated at Weill Cornell Medical in NYC.  The doctor's name is  Alfred Gelhorn and he is in the Rehabilitation Department. There is also a clinic should one not have insurance. (212) 746-1500

• Posted

forgot to ask how are you now and what treatment did you get
  • Posted

STEM CELL Treatments: I sufferred from whiplash for two years after a rough chiropratic neck adjustment. The only true healing is with STEM cell shots to the injured joints and then lidocaine and other shots are needed to train the surrounding muscles to relax.  Thi sprocess took me a bit over a year. Be encouraged because after the STEM Cell shots I felt almost immediate relief from the constant pain and burning in my neck and at the base of my skull.  I was treated at Weill Cornell Medical in NYC.  The doctor's name is  Alfred Gelhorn and he is in the Rehabilitation Department. There is also a clinic should one not have insurance. (212) 746-1500

• Posted

Hi. Any chance you found out what was going on? I find myself in a similar position.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.