Skip to content

Accidents and Injuries

Also known as Bites or Stings, Burns and Scalds, Compartment Syndrome, First Aid, Fractures, Frostbite, Head Injuries, Heat Related Illness, Hypothermia, Injuries and Accidents, Insect Bites/Stings, Poisoning, Repetitive Strain Injury, Rib Injuries, Sports Injuries, Stings or Bites, Sunburn, Wrist Injuries

Can you help? Discussions needing a reply

All discussions in this group

Next
  • How long will cheekbone swelling take to go

Two weeks ago I got hit in the face and had a black eye and swollen cheek. The bruising is gone but there is still a bit of swelling on my cheek. How long will it be before I am back to normal. I saw my doc two days ago and he said its not fractured or anything but I thought that when the bruising...

Last reply
  • 8 weeks postop ORIF bilateral malleolus fx, tib/fib fx

Hello,  I am postop ORIF for bilateral malleous fx, tib/fib fx April 26, 2018. Nearing 8 weeks postop and still nonweight bearing using a knee roller and crutches.  My issue is sudden development of edema proximal of tib/ fib. Painful and edematous. Could I have caused an injury by overuse...

Posted
  • extreme sports/sports injuries

Hi all, I've created this post for anyone who has had an injury to do with sports/extreme sports. I am currently doing my GCSE's and need to create a product to improve a feature of physical recreation, i decided to improve the safety. I need to have proof of asking others would kind of problems...

Last reply
  • Should I get my burn looked at (photo)

It's from hot water. Moderator comment:I have deleted the links to the images as they went to a site unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. Users can upload images directly to this site by using the icon at the top right of reply boxes.

Last reply
  • Aches after Jones fracture of the 5th metatarsal

Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone else had aches in their arms and legs after fracturing their foot. I have  Jones fracture of the 5th metatarsal...I have been in a cast for 2 weeks and we are hoping I won’t need surgery. The aches I have been having are 10X more painful than the flu...really...

Last reply
  • Distal Radius Fracture - weird feeling in wrist!

Hi - I fractured my right wrist at the beginning of April and had my cast removed just over five weeks ago.  Since having my cast removed I am experiencing swelling in my fingers and in my wrist which my physio said is perfectly normal. Whilst I accept this another symptom which is annoying my...

Last reply
  • Ankle pain when full weight bearing after broken tibia

I have broken my tibial plateau and after a few months of complications and having my leg operated on I have been given the go ahead to fully weight bear. Since doing so I have gotten very bad pain in my foot and ankle. I just want to know if this is common? I Injered myself on my bike due to an impact...

Last reply
  • Anyone with Central Pontine Myelinolysis

Hi anyone out there have any information on central pontine myelinolysis , my 26yr old son has been diagnosed with this condition. He has been in hospital for 6 weeks and spent the last 4 weeks in intensive care, he went into hospital on Christmas eve after having seizures to do with alcohol withdrawal...

Last reply
  • Shoulder pain - possibly bursitis, need some first hand advice

After recovering from surgery, plate and screws from a broken radius back in January, I have now developed nasty shooting pain from the outside of my shoulder down toward my elbow.  Apparently my therapy should have included range of motion exercises during the time my wrist was basically useless. ...

Last reply
  • Knee locking

When I play football sometimes after jumping my knee will fully lock and will make me fall over and roll ankle, however there is no pain from the knee afterwards or before. Anyone have any ideas what this could be?

Last reply
  • ORIF Surgery - right leg/ankle - general adivce please!

HI, Been thinking about posting for a while but plaster tech's adviced no searching the web! Would like to get some hope for the future Sorry if this is the same as many other posts! I broke my ankle/leg on 21st April and was in hospital awaiting surgery in pain most of the time till 30th April....

Last reply
  • Non displaced fracture distal radius question

Hi all, today sliding into 3rd base I felt weird and in pain. Looked swollen and I was pitching went back out there but couldn’t feel comfortable catching the ball being thrown back to me. Went to the urgent care they took x rays and dr said I see a small chip but it doesn’t look bad.  I need to...

Last reply
  • Met with an accident

Hi there... if any is successful in reverting to normal please let us know. I have similar issue. Seven months back I met with a minor accident injuring my cheek bone. At that time I only had hematoma which has went down but has stopped at certain point. My one cheek is bit fatter and also stiff. I have...

Posted
  • Head bump

Hi . a curtain rod fell and hit me on the forehead. It bruised a little but that was just it at first... A week later I noticed a small tiny but hard bump formed on the area. Please will it go away naturally ? Because its been weeks now and should I be worried about this? Thanks

Posted
  • Banged head in temple area...concerned

Banged my head at work yesterday just above the temple on the right side of my head. At the time I felt a little dazed and shook up but not much more than that. I have had bumps and bangs to the head as much as the next person but this one just made me feel a little strange for the rest of the day. I'm...

Posted
  • 11 days post op ankle surgery, no pain?

I’m 19 years old 11 days post op for ankle fracture surgery, with a plate and screws. I’m currently in a half cast dealing with no pain? i can wiggle my toes and move my ankle around in the cast with only mild discomfort from feeling the plate and screws inside. The swelling and bruising on my foot and...

Last reply
  • Swollen fingers after cast removal for wrist fracture

Hi everyone, I had my cast removed two and a half weeks ago after I broke my wrist - my fingers are still quite swollen and I was wondering what everyone else’s experience was with swelling after cast removal and is there anything I can do?   I am elevating my hand as much as possible and have...

Last reply
  • Spontaneous Pnuemothoraxes

Hi, I have had a Pnuemothorax, which is also commonly known as (collapsed lung) on the right side three times since January. Had the needle decompression done the first time, chest tubes in the second time and recently had the VATS surgery/bleb staple/pleurideisy done last Wednesday. Extremely painful...

Posted
  • Broke 4th Metacarpal, Healing Help

So i broke my 4th metacarpal playing basketball, i already wore my cast 6 weeks and it is off now, im 10 weeks since injury now and its still not healed, When i got my cast off about 4 weeks ago i started to get on the computer again and type a lot, video games etc. I was wondering if this could be affecting...

Last reply
  • Pain in back and what feels like a single rib sticking out

Past week or so I've had pain in my front and back at the bottom of my ribs. I went doctors as I thought It was kidney related. Urine test was perfect he said most likely muscular. It went off over night and came back when slouching on the PlayStation. I have always had a sticking out rib on my left...

Last reply
  • Wrist Fracture. In cast but arm pain

Hi. 1st time I’ve broken a bone and it’s my wrist. I initially had my cast on 2 weeks which then became really loose. Went this week to have a follow up X-ray and a new cast put on. Was ok at first but now two days after I am getting cramps in my fingers and my arm bone (not the break but further up)...

Last reply
  • I’m desperate!

I fell on 01/03/18 & had surgery 01/09/18 to repair fracture of distal radius & no repair to Ulna. I had seven pins & a plate made of titanium. It took longer to heal but at 12 weeks, I felt better than I do now. Week 13, I started having swelling of both forearms though it was worse on the...

Last reply
  • Hepatic ossification

My consultant has told me I have hepatic ossification (extra bone growth) after a second hip replacement and this is the cause of my pain in the groin area. He says this is quite common. Has anyone else had any experience of this and if so, how were you treated. He has told me to come back in a...

Last reply
  • Long flight risks - 10 weeks after TPF

Hi everyone,  It's been 10 weeks since I was in an accident that got me a Tibial Plateau fracture without displacement. My leg has been inmobilized until 4 weeks ago, when I started recovering ROM (still at 90) and I have started with partial weight bearing 2 weeks ago. I am now living in Vietnam...

Last reply
  • Burn

Hi All, i have a burn on my neck which happened on Sunday (4 days ago) and i was wondering if anyone knew what type of burn it is (first degree/2nd degree etc) I attach a picture and believe it or not it looks much than before. Do you think it will scar and how long will it take for the color to go...

Last reply
  • Cast off, Air cast boot on and what more?

Hi all As I’ve posted previously about my fifth metatarsal base fracture, today I got my cast removed finally and was given an Aircast boot to survive in the next three weeks. I was also told that with the boot I can go up the stairs as well and there isn’t a need to use crutches anymore. But, weight...

Last reply
  • I fell and my shin has been numb for three weeks.

So about three weeks ago I fell and hit my shin on a curb. It hurt really bad for a few hours, but didn't have any noticeable swelling and a bruise didn't even show up for at least two days. Even then the bruise was maybe the size of a half dollar. Three weeks later, it's still very sore...

Posted
  • How long should an ankle take to heal?

I'm a 17 year old girl and I need advice on some problems I've been having with my ankle. About a month ago, I twisted my ankle at a volleyball practice. It hurt, but it wasn't particularly bad at the time. I've twisted my ankles many times before in my time playing volleyball, and it...

Last reply
  • Recurring Abdominal Pain After Deep, Painful Massage 3 Months Ago

Over 3 months ago I got Active Release Therapy (ART) to my hip flexors on the left hand side about 2 inches from midline. While he was doing it it has been extremely painful.  I should have stopped him. It hurt for a month after alot, I even went into the ER where they did a CAT scan looking for...

Last reply
  • Swelling post distal radius fracture

I had plate and screws inserted after distal radius fracture and hairline ulna fracture which displaced after manipulation in A+E just over 6 weeks ago. Cast removed at 4 weeks to start early mobilisation. Intensive physio started on Friday. I have been asked to ice prior to each physio session at home,...

Last reply
Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.