Swelling fingers and hand after wrist fracture

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi i have broken my Left wrist which was plated and also have screws in it i had a cast on for 6 weeks and have been out of a full cast for 2weeks my fingers are swollen i cannot make a fist and my thumb is very painful and depending on what position it is in it also tremors i have altered sensation in my wrist and hand and it is very painful there is also no movement in my wrist has anyone heard of using reducing doses of prednisolone to help with the swelling any info on my symptoms and the use of steroids would be very much appreciated

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Joanna...are you having any physiotherapy? I dont know which country you are in but if you are in UK do ask your GP to refer you for some. If you had this done in a hospital in UK they should have referred you for some physio when the cast was taken off. or given you a list of exercises to do.

Swelling and pain after this sort of fracture are common and can last for several months so you are not unusual. Steroids are not usually given as the swelling is protecting the healing tissues. You should rest your wrist on a pillow and do not carry anything. Move your fingers as much as possible each day but guided physio is a very good idea. as you get the best exercises to do.

If you are in pain, try paracetamol but NOT Ibuprofen which can delay bone healing. .

• Posted

This reply is waiting to be moderated

We sometimes need to review content before it’s published to make sure it meets the requirements in our Terms & Conditions.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.