1.5 month flare up, headaches, etc

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello, I have had UC for about 20 years.  Currently, I am experiencing the worst flare up in my life.  Here is what is happening:

1.  The Asacol, or similar, has created terrible stomach cramping.

2.  Just started prednisone treatment (upset stomach)

3.  Taking cortisol 1x at night

Ive had the worst headaches I have ever had and have been hospitolized twice.  

Has anyone experienced anything similar?

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I have suffered with us for 4 years now. Was started on mezzavant at first but had some side affects and changed to asacol for next year or so! Asacol for me was so bad that I went back on Mezzavant. Still on that, 2 every morning! It's not great, I suffer from headaches, backache, joint inflammation and peripheral neuropathy, all of which I blame on the drugs. I am having a break from the symptoms of uc at moment, 4 months now which coincided with me starting probiotics! I'm staying on them just in case they are indeed helping. I keep a supply of prednisalone just in case flare up should occur! Although I have all the problems that I think may be related to the drugs, I would rather suffer them than have a nasty flare up. I am also incredibly tired all the time! I do use tramadol very occasionally to combat the symptoms, but I'm tired with or without that! All in all, us is a horrible affliction, having it for 20 years frightens me! I hope you get relief soon! I also follow low fibre diet as on the 
    • Posted

Thank you.  I will look into the probiotics. Also the tramadol.  Other than dehydration, I wonder what specifically is causing these cronic headaches.
  • Posted

I did get the cramping when I was on asacol and it was not working.  Also I have gotten hangover type headaches when I am on bad flares.  My guess is it has something to do with malnourisment/dehydration.

• Posted

hi Rob...I am suspending the Asacol for the moment to see if this helps.  For sure dehydration/malnourashment...I just wonder if the Asacol has anything to do with it.
  • Posted

Has anyone had problems with change of manufacture for mesalazine (Asacol & Ostasa) also cant make my mind up about probotics which do you use?
    • Posted

Probiotics that seem to help me, taking them almost 5 months now - I drink Actimel every morning and take 1 capsule of Acidophilus Plus non-dairy each afternoon. You can take two of those per day. I get them from Holland and Barratt, not cheap! I also only drink Volvic bottled water, it's the best!
  • Posted

Hi Jeteal

I had bleeding symptoms, which disappeared after elliminating blread, and all gluten products. Worth a try. Will take 3-4 weeks.

Cheers

• Posted

I've had a few of my posts deleted as apparantly you aren't allowed to help people on here anymore.

So all I'll say is google "diets and Colitis" Diet has a very big impact on symptoms.

• Posted

I have empathy for your situation. I've had panUC for 45 years. It's very difficult when you're going through a flare up. I'm in a flare at the moment.

Hang in there. I hope that you feel better soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.