1.5 weeks post pain pump implant. Infection?

Posted , 4 users are following.

It’s been a long journey to this point but I had an intrathecal pain pump implanted on 05/16/18. He ended up having to do a partial laminectomy to get the catheter in at T2. I’m not sure what level but he said lumbar. I’ve been through a few surgeries in the past year and this one feels different. In the incision for the pump itself, I can feel the tubing where it goes horizontally toward my back (pump is on right side, mid/lower abdomen very close to my side). There is another area that is swollen and tender going down but I don’t think there is anything that’s supposed to be there. The incision looks good but the lower part where the swelling is horizontal is warmer than the rest. I also have an area on my back incision that is swollen. From my abdominal incision, I have an intense pain that goes from the pump area, down to my groin and into my hip. I also have pretty severe pains that go into my hips on the back side and down my legs. All of these hip pains are new. 

I realize that the ones in the back are likely due to the laminectomy and the associated internal swelling which is putting pressure on my nerves. I’m concerned about the pains in front and the swollen areas. 

Has anyone who had a pain pump experienced any of this? 

I’ve had a thoracic area laminectomy and I don’t recall anything other than a bone pain from that. The spinal cord stimulator caused most of the pain in my upper back.  

I’m just looking for an experienced opinion and thoughts. 

I told neuro about severe hip pain and his nurse told me to talk to my pain dr. I see one of the NPs on the 30th. My post op appointment is on 06/05/18. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Anna,

Don't wait on your post Op visit. You need attention now! I just had my catheter replaced as it was not delivering the dilaudid, and I ended up in severe constant 9+ pain not to mention going through withdrawals too. It took my doctor 7 months to think about testing my pump for problems. You have to be your own advocate and tell them something is wrong. Make a big deal out of it because something is wrong. All of my hardware is Medtronics but you should not be experiencing those issues.

Don't wait on them. Seek help now before your issues get worse.

• Posted

Have they started dosing you with the pump yet?  It would be very odd to be having all these sever pains if you were getting intrathecal medication. I'd be concerned too that something was really wrong.  Do you have a fever?  I would say if you start having any kind of fever, then I'd insist on seeing someone sooner than the 30th, especially if you are getting dosed with medication and having all these pains.

• Posted

No, the pump is filled with saline until my appointment on the 30th. I’m not certain what it will be filled with only that it won’t be morphine because I’m allergic. The pains in my groin and going down the inner part of my thigh are getting worse. It’s in my hip in the back on the outer part and pains going into my buttocks. I’m Afraid that if I email and ask about it that I’ll look paranoid. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.