1.5 years…any hope??

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had my gallbladder removed back in 2020. Bile duct was blocked x 3 stones, very unhappy liver, etc. I do think surgery was the right decision and I remember being willing to do almost anything to make the pain stop . However, no one, not the gastroenterologist, not the surgeon, none of the nurses, warned me that chronic urgent diarrhea is a not so uncommon side effect. I even asked them about changes to diet, etc and they all said I would go back to normal. Ha.

I take colestipol daily and it usually does wonders. But. It has raised my triglycerides and long term use is in doubt which would only leave Imodium as my relief. And purposefully constipating yourself without knowing when it will wear off is anxiety inducing to say the least ESPECIALLY when you're dealing with urgent crap-your-pants diarrhea. There have been RARE days where I forget to take colestipol and manage to go the whole day with no diarrhea and only mild abdominal cramping - but I pretty much didn't eat on those days (I think) so nothing to trigger my intestines. Haven't made it more than 24 hours without it though and I always carry back up Imodium in my purse.

Has ANYONE come back from this? Where their liver/small intestines get their act together 1-2 years later? Or is my window of hope long gone?

The doctors Ive talked to about this are utterly unconcerned about how this impacts quality of life. I'm about to ask them to just tie off or re-route my bile ducts (don't care where or how).

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

sorry to hear. I am trying to help my wife, she got hers out about 6 years ago and she has not been the same. They ripped it out and also give zero consultation about nutrition or long lasting side effects. Bilex works sometimes for her. I feel helpless and so sorry for her. I am thinking of contacting lawyers for a law suit because we have spent about 50k on ER visits and scans and tests ans they GI's are useless which is surprising.

i am doing a ton of research on this myself.

i hope you relief soon or find a decent doctor who knows something about this

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.