1.5mg of lorazepam and alcohol. Advice needed please.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi Guys,

First of all, I'd like to say "Hi" as I'm newo the site, and it's nice to know that there is place out there were people can relate to and help each other out.

I'm a 30 year old man, 6ft 1" and weigh around 187lbs (13.5 stone). I've recently started taking lorazepam (ativan as I believe it's called in USA) for anxiety issues. I only take the lorazepam when I'm feeling extremely anxious, pretty much only once a month at present.

Yesterday at around 6.30pm I was going to an event so I took 1.5mg of lorazepam and then stupidly ended up having a full night out drinking alcohol. I had quite a lot to drink: beer, vodka red bulls, sambuca etc.

I can't really remember the night out and have been extremely hungover today with two bouts of vomiting. However I'm more concerned by the fact it's now 7pm and I don't feel any better, and can't really eat or drink much. After googling 'Ativan and alcohol' and reading stories of people dying in their sleep or stopping breathing among other issues when combining the two, I am very concerned that something bad is going to happen. Can anyone advise if I'll be ok or if I should go to accidents and emergencies or something to check or if I'll be ok and I'm over-thinking it?

Sorry if this seems silly, I'm just really worried? I know how stupid I've been and really regret it. Any advice or help will be grearly appreciated please?

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

You do not seem silly. Its always better to be safe then sorry any day. I overdosed once when i was very young so i do believe you should get checked if your that worried. It is only 1.5 mg so thats not too high. I took 13-15 pills and they were very high doses. I think if something were to happen it would of by now but for your peace of mind it might be best too get checked. Do what you believe is best. Good luck
    • Posted

Hi Shannon,

Many thanks for your reply!

I agree with you as it is 27 hours since I took the lorazepam and 17 hours since I stopped drinking, so I'm assuming if anything bad was going to happen surely it would have happened by now like you say, as both should be out of my system by now? I'm also assuming that this horrific hangover is the adverse effect from the combination. I don't really want to go to the hospital unless it is necessary?

How many mg did you take when you overdosed?

Thanks, Chris.

• Posted

No problem chris. And yeah i would say it would be out of system by now, but couldnt say for sure. Depending on how much alcohol you consumed it could take a little longer but 27 hours is a decent amount of time. And this was a long time ago, but i would say each pill was around 200/300 mg. Taking 12/15 was a bad idea obviously but deff a lesson learned. Are you feeling any better? & alcohol could and does lead to a bad hangover sometimes. I would chalk it up to that honestly.
    • Posted

I did have quite a lot of alcohol I'm told, l can't remember, one of the side effects of combining the substances I've read.

Still feel rough and have a sore throat from vommitting this morning. Going to try and eat some dry bread. Symptoms are very much like bad hangovers I've had in the past, just everything I read about combining made me extremely worried. Hopefully I'll be ok and not stop breathing in my sleep :-/

Thanks for all your advice, I really appreciate it.

• Posted

I recommend that you do t do this though again because the side affects aren't good as you know and it could cause you problems. But you've been hours now so try not to worry. Hope you feel a little better tomorrow
  • Posted

Hello Chris,  I would of thought you will be ok as it's been a few hours now.  Put it down to experience and learn from it.  

Elizabeth.

• Posted

Thanks Elizabeth,

I have well and truly learnt the lesson, I just hope this roughness is down to the alcohol hangover!

Thanks for the reply.

• Posted

hi chris. this small dose will well and truly be out of ur system by now, whether eliminated through vomiting/persperation or/and the normal eliminatory processes of the body. i'd certainly address the alcohol consumption. i'ts much more likely to damage ur body than the 1.5 mgs. guess ur already aware of that.

yake care

Caitlin

• Posted

Hi Caitlin,

I completely agree with you. I don't drink very often but when I do I drink far too much. I usually just get on with it, but I was just terribly worried this time as I read the combination of the alcohol and lorazepam could be lethal.

Thanks for the reply!

• Posted

Hi there, try not to panic you should be fine. Try to drink plenty and have a good nights sleep tonight and that should help.see how you feel tomorrow but usually anyone feel ruff the following day after taking meds and drink. If your feeling a little panicky try abs do some meditation and breathing technics and this will help relax you. I often get in bed and listen every night. This is also very good for depression and anxiety. If you need anymore advice please feel free to ask, but I e dove this before and u felt dreadful the following day, but it soon wore off once I'd had a good nights sleep

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.