1 day post unilateral Lapidus bunionectomy

Posted , 3 users are following.

Well It's been about 26 hours since I got out of surgery and it has been quite the roller-coaster ride getting the pain management sorted out and figuring out how to get around with a no-weight-bearing directive and crutches. Fortunately my wife has been caring for me with yummy healthy food and running to the pharmacy for a weekend prescription.

I have an enormous top of calf cast that is so heavy it's really difficult to lift and it drags on my hip and knee if I'm not positioned just right. Fortunately a friend of ours loaned me a special foam wedge to support the leg. She says she's lent it to four other people since she used it when she broke her leg and     It seems like something anyone who needed long periods of foot elevation would want to have.  

Has as anyone else had this really heavy cast in the beginning? I'm kind of surprised because cast materials have really advanced in these past few decades.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I didn't have a cast at all, just a small Velcro shoe for three days, then a walking boot. I tried to eat very healthy, no sugar, or wheat, since that causes inflammation. I am still eating that way. My incision looks really good for six weeks I think. I googled a lot of websites and tried to look at tips from different podiatrists. 
  • Posted

Hi Lindley,

I had a splint and bandages for 10 days, then doc looked at the wound, and I was put in a pretty heavy cast for two weeks. Then that came off, and I was given a big, unsightly gray aircast. I'm supposed to still be in it at 8 weeks, but I've opted for trainers.  Good luck with your recovery.  It's wonderful that you have a good caretaker. It's a very difficult recovery, not due to pain, but due to the no weight bearing. Once you are able to bear weight (I'd say about 5-6 weeks), be sure your shoe is level with your boot.  Unfortunately, I developed severe sciatica in my good leg due to sitting around for 5 weeks, and not having even shoe and boot.

• Posted

Joyce,

I was put in a walking boot quite soon after surgery, maybe 3 days, I'm forgetting now. I had a similar experience; the boot was so high compared to tennis shoes that my hips started aching! I had to wear a higher wedge sandal, & it was better, but not high enough. At 5 weeks, I put on a wide tennis shoe & wear that to work. (luckily I only work two days a week)  I went to work only five days after surgery, which was a big mistake. It was very difficult. Nothing I can do about it, but I sure wish I was born with good feet. Jean

• Posted

Lindley,

I don't know of anyone who has been put in a cast. I wonder if that is the difference between how they do it in the UK and the United States? I don't know, this whole thing is all new to me. 

I had mentioned feeling like I have a golf ball under my foot, but I also cannot move my big toe that much even after six weeks. I am hoping that it is just from surgery and eventually it will loosen up.

Jean

• Posted

Thank you, Jean.  By the way, at 8 weeks, I still feel like I have a golf ball under my foot, so I guess that's normal.  I also have developed painful scar tissue on the wound.  Kind of wish I had my old bunion pain again! i think we will both be fine in 3-4 mos.  Ugh!
    • Posted

Joyce,

I have been reading a LOT on the subject and talking to different physical therapists. This morning was my 6th session of physical therapy. I believe it is helping, but it's a really slow process. Guess the feet are the slowest thing to heal. (furthest thing from your heart)

Plus, I actually checked out the website of my podiatrist and read an entry on "possible complications of bunion surgery," In 2-3% of the cases where there is a bunion and Hallux Limitus (limited mobility in the big toe, due to arthritis)  the patient can end up with a stiff toe. That is what I have, and I actually had a pretty stiff toe before I even had the bunion surgery. I could probably put up with a stiff toe, but when I stand with my feet flat on the floor, my big toe is almost 1/4 inch off the floor! My physical therapist says to just give it time, but I am not patient. It's been 7 weeks and 2 days, and I want that darn swelling to go down. I have the golf ball feeling, plus I feel like I have webbed feet, too. (probably all due to the swelling?)  My doctor wants to remove my screw next month and also do a MPJ release surgery at the same time. You can google that to get info about it. I am crazy for answers, so I have an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon on the 19th of this month, to get his opinion on MPJ release. I'll keep you posted.

My doctor, on his website, says that people like me, that have stiff toe, need the MPJ release surgery for better mobility and if I ever want to wear a high heel. I'm in a quandary, that's why I am getting some 2nd and 3rd opinions.

• Posted

Hi Jean,  Hope you are doing better.  I had my last doc appointment on Thursday. He said I don't need to come back.  That was 8 weeks, 3 days. he said I had the stiff toe also, and my toe is actually crossing over the second toe....very aggravating after going thru 8 weeks of hell, in my opinion. He also mentioned a little procedure in the future to straighten my toe. Maybe that's the MPJ release. He did write an order for PT for my scar tissue, which hurts.  I am also going 3X per week for my sciatica in god leg, not my toe.  What does the PT do for your toe?  I haven't had PT for my operated foot.  Thank you.  Take care.
    • Posted

Oh yes, and he also said that by the first week of Sept. I should be able to do anything.  He said my bone is still not healed.
    • Posted

High heels? Good heavens. Why would any woman serious about her health wear them? Bad for the back, knees, hips - not to mention bad for your feet. If I'm going to suffer through foot surgery I'm definitely not putting all that good work at risk.   I'm out of the 'surgical splint' then had. Refular cast for 2 days but had so much trouble with pressure on my bruised heel that we moved to the surgical boot. The regular cast wasn't nearly as heavy as the one coming out of surgery, but just didn't work for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.