1 inch kidney stone an stent.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have a 1 inch kidney stone and about 2 months ago a doctor put a stent told me to come to his office 2 weeks after he put in stent for some procedure I did only to get turned down because I didn't have $250. I made it very clear that I don't have insurance and can not afford the procedures needed before he put in the stent. now I'm bleeding all the time not just a little bit it looks like bright red blood every time I pee. so I guess I'm gonna die because I don't have insurance and I don't know what to do to get any financial help to fix this and it's very depressing.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

hi there, I'm sooo sorry to here about your problems. can you not talk to a GP?Is there any kind of hospital welfare you get if you don't have insurance? so that you could get help. peeing red could be a sign of a water infection. you need to get some help please. Do not sit and stay there as the longer it continues the worst it gets. you might just need a check up,urine tested and scan maybe with some antibotics if you have infection.or the worst maybe a stent change if its not in properly. i guess your from America. There must be welfare help you can get so please do ASAP!!! i know how depressing things can be. Believe me i have been to hell and back and i am still going through it!!! i could write a book! And don't mention the word stent to me. Nightmare!!! But they do serve a purpose when work well. I've learn't all you can do is take one day at a time. Take it day by day. And trust in the lord... cause he really does live! i suggest you read the poem "footprints". Just take it day by day and remember to breathe. Don't let it all build up cause thats when you begin to feel depressed.plz let me know how you get on. ALL the best.

• Posted

I agree with what moltoncore says.

I had multiple kidney stones a couple of years ago.

Frequent UTIs and blood in urine.

Had pcnl and a stent in for a week.

I am now fine.

Hope you manage to get this issue resolved sooner rather than later.

Keep in touch.

Sarah

• Posted

I think I'm gonna go to a different hospital or something idk what else to do

• Posted

For a 1 inch stone, your best option is a pcnl procedure. But they are expensive. A stone that large 1), will never pass on its own, 2) a stone that large will most likely be the source of constant UTIs and perhaps blood in urine. Have no idea why the doctor placed a stent. My understanding is that a stent is to insure the passage of smallish fragments, keeping the ureter open. You really need care and I do not know how you are going to get it in this medicine for profit society that exists in the USA.

• Posted

A stent is put in so the urine bypasses the ureter when it is blocked with a kidney stone. Is your stone in the kidney or ureter, if its in the kidney and your urine is flowing okay they should not have put a stent in at all, as these can be painful and cause other problems, Also a stent is only a temporary fix until you have other procedures to remove or shatter the kidney stone, then the stent is removed. I would seek out another urologist at a different hospital to see if they can do anything. Here in Australia we have a government system that pays for all these procedures my 17 an 15mm stones were removed with 4 separate procedures including a stent and it cost me nothing even with my hospital stays and my wait time was only two weeks after the stent was put in. I am sure there must be some free system for low income earners who don't have private health cover?

• Posted

My pcnl procedure in hospital in USA, looking at the medicare bill on-line, was $34,000. Yes, you are reading that correctly, thirty four thousand. I feel so fortunate that Medicare and Medicaid paid the entire bill.

• Posted

I wouldn't have let the urologist put in the stent if I known he wasn't gonna do the procedure I told and all the other medical personnel at the hospital that I could not afford to have all this done but they acted like they was gonna help me with seeing that I have a stone that's 1inch sitting in my kidney. now the stent is becoming part of the problem. so I guess I'm gonna have to be near death to before something gets done. I'm gonna think positive a believe there is help out there some where for people barely making it by day by day

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.