1 month after stopping and still feeling terrible

Posted , 3 users are following.

I took lyrica for 1 month. It was prescribed because of a nerve in my head that hurt, supposedly caused by cold wind. A little over half way through I started feeling nausea and I noticed small swelling under one of my eyes. I felt like the energy was sucked out of me. Also, towards the end I started to have chest pain. Went to the doctor. Told me to reduce the dose and stop it. Did that. Since then chest pain, pain on the sides and in the back. It feels like my muscles or ribs or some kind of inflammation is going on. It stops in some parts and moves to others. Also, I started having pain in my forearm. It appears when I squeeze. At one point I thought that my kidneys hurt. I went and get tested  - kidneys are fine. Doctors tell me it's all in my head..... Nausea continues, low energy, swelling under one of my eyes is still there. Back pain still going on. Chest pain sometimes. It's been a month now since I stopped this drug. I feel like this is never going to end. The worst thing is that I am not sure that it is the drug. I start to worry that it is some kind of other horrible disease. I'd really appreciate you help

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

All of the symptoms you describe are side effects and withdrawals from an extremely strong drug. You don't say what dose you were on but Lyrica should never be stopped cold turkey, firstly because you run the risk of seizures and also because of withdrawal. This drug changes your brain chemistry and central nervous system within one week of taking it after which your body quickly becomes dependent on it. Some people are more sensitive than others to it and I suspect that you are. You should start to feel better in time but the withdrawals can and do come back when you least expect them. You get windows of feeling better and waves of feeling bad again. It will get better I promise you but obviously you have no help from your Doctor (very few understand that this is not the wonder drug it is made out to be and refused to accept what patients are telling them). I have been on this drug for over 2 years and had terrible side effects, brain fog, loss of memory, loss of balance, muscle pain and wastage, kidney ache, ectopic heart beats, nausea, and the list goes on. I am slowly and carefully coming off them over many months to minimise withdrawals and only have 50mg a day to go now until I am Lyrica free. I can't wait to get my life back, sleep properly again, lose the weight I put on (3 stones), lose the anxiety that I never had before, eye problems get better and so on. At least you are now off this dreadful drug so try to ride it out and give yourself time to heal. Be kind to yourself, rest and listen to your body. Do some research because there is a lot of information on Google about this drug now. There are some natural remedies that are helpful also. It is not all in your head believe me. I do hope you start to feel better soon and if I can help you in any way please post again.

• Posted

Thank you so much for the reply. I was on 1 pill 75 mg then I was on 2 pills 150 mg, then back to 1 pill and then I stopped it. I started taking vitamin C, magnesium calcium zinc supplement and feel a little better. I have no idea if that's the reason. If you can tell me some other natural remedies that are helpful, I'd appreciate it.  Thank you again. Your reply is giving me some hope as this is one of the worst experiences of my life. 

• Posted

There is a really helpful support group on Fb called Lyrica Survivors (Official). It is a closed and private group of sufferers with varying experiences and tips on how to taper off this drug or deal with it's continuing effects after stopping. They have a wealth of information in their files and the Natural Remedy file is very informative. Apply to join (just answer 3 questions to join from Admin) and I think you will find the help and support you need on there. I am a member myself. You do well to be taking Magnesium etc - I take Magnesium Malate which helped me a lot especially with muscle spasms/cramps and leg jerks. Your Doctor took you off too much too soon - a 10% taper is the best way of coming off even though it takes time. I hope you continue to get better and wish you well.

• Posted

hi elizabeth, is that magnesium malate, capsules? from  health shop, hubby is on lyrica, been on 450 daily for his back but happy on it, just he gets bad as leg cramps, so badddddddddd, not every day but there are weeks where he gets it five days . they go for a while but are soooooooo wild .  He has had magnesium before but perhaps the malte part may help? brand etc

• Posted

Hi Leanne

Either Magnesium Malate or Chelated Magnesium are the best to try. I'm not sure if Holland & Barrett do these but if not I identified a UK Company called Nature's Life who supply through Amazon. Not as expensive as H & B! I need 3 x 200mg tablets a day to keep the restless legs etc in check - it's trial and error as everyone is different. There are different types of magnesium but the two I mention are the best. Hope it helps Hubby. Just in case in the future he does start to have side effects on Pregab (some people don't get them until they are years in) post to me again and I will try to help. All the best

• Posted

Hi thanks for t hat, What type of side effects are we talking about? He has been on them now for four almost five yrs. I reckon muscle aches are a side affect, crazy considering he takes it for a back a lol
    • Posted

Hi Leanne

Yes, some people suffer muscle aches and joint also. There are so many reported, such as brain fog, memory loss, balance issues, eye disturbances, itchiness. restless legs, muscle cramps. mood changes, anger, insomnia, too much sleep leading to grogginess next day, depression, anxiety and even seizures. It does work for chronic nerve pain because it turns off the pain receptors in the brain. It is not a cure, but patients report being pain free from say, sciatic nerve pain and similar. To some it is worth continuing on the drug especially if they are fortunate enough not to suffer side effects but in the main the side effects make patients want to come off. It really is up to each individual to make the choice. Coming off the drug too quickly can lead to seizures (look at the patient leaflet that comes with the pack) and withdrawals can be quite harsh. The body and brain become dependent on Pregabalin within one week of taking it and so it has to be slowly and carefully tapered off if that is the decision made. Your Hubby has been on them a long time now and if he is happy to continue with only restless legs, cramps and muscle/joint aches as side effects that is totally up to him. However, it doesn't hurt to have a little more information and knowledge in his arsenal just in case! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.