1 month post op CES

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi folks,

My wife had L4-L5 Laminectomy-Disectomy for CES 1 month back in US. Here is the short story- Back pain issues from past 8-9 months. Sciatica started in Dec and 1 week after that doctor prescribed oral steroids. Just 2-3 days after that the CES symptoms(saddle numbness and incontinence) started and she had surgery within 24 hrs . Spend 4-5 days in surgery hospital and 10 days in rehab. She was educated to self catherize and use of suppository for bowel evac.

Now its 1 month post surgery, here are few improvements:

1. Sciatica Pain is gone.

2. She can walk slowly without support for small distances.

3. She can climb stairs but use handrail suport.

4. She is able to evacuate bowels once a day using stool softners and suppository (glycerin rectal medicine)

Problems still present:

1. Saddle and leg numbness.

2. Bowel- Bladder incontinence. She self cather and use suppository.

3. Pain in foot.

4. Frequent UTIs

Here are few things that may be good or bad but not sure so may be you can help and share your opinions:

1. She sometimes feel urge to urinate and able to pee about 100ml by her own and remaining(400-700ml) using catheter.

2. She started having weird feeling from past 4-5 days in saddle area- Something like a vibrating feeling.

3. Also, today she felt a pinching feeling near her vaginal area.

We have an appointment with neuro after a week and will share these things.Your responses are valuable. Thanks!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hello these are all symptoms of ces, she's doing well by the sound of things, it may be a long journey for her, and it's very early days, but take one day at a time, keep at it she may well make a full recovery, sorry I can't be any more help, but I'm still learning going into my 20th year. Best wishes

• Posted

Vicky

Every case of CES is different. You have the advantage of quick surgery once CES symptoms presented. However the length of time prior to said symptoms with back pain might be your wild card. Ask a physiotherapist how to expel urine with external pressure on your bladder. Since you can initiate a stream this might prevent some of your uti. 

I went 41 days from presentation of symptoms to surgery so 2 1/2 years later I am stuck with lower leg weakness and when exercising wear braces, and I use a cane. I can express urine however self catch when I can’t. I have an excruciatingly strick diet and bowel program to try and avoid the embarrassing accidents. I am however unable to control gas and use products to cut down on gas. 

I really think you could have some improvement. My surgeon said it takes 2 years for the nerves that are still intact in the myalin sheath to regrow. Give it Time. Try not to freak out. I get the shock like pains you mentioned. I also have tooth ache like pain in my lower legs and take lyrica. 

Best wishes for a full recovery!

Chrioli

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.