Skip to content

Cauda Equina Syndrome

All discussions in this group

Next
  • learning to walk all over again after CES

Good evening everyone on this amazing site.  So gald I found it. My back went out after getting up out of bed. I layed on the floor for three hours and every time I moved my lower back hurt. So I called my mom, talked to her for a while,had lunch on the floor. As long as I didn't move, I was...

Last reply
  • Cauda equina and muscle spasms

Hi guys just wanted to share my story with you all. Around 3 years ago I developed severe lower back pain that was the result of a manual lifting job I had at the time. Over a year the symptoms got worse and caused severe nerve pain in my right leg which my GP diagnosed as sciatica. I was at my gp most...

Last reply
  • Help with MRI results

I got my final results from MRI. Does any of this indicate that it could be cauda equina? MR Spine Lumbar (MR SPINE LUMBAR) - Final result (06/02/2018 6:02 PM) Procedure Note Interface, Imaging Results In - 06/02/2018 6:48 PM EDT MRI LUMBAR SPINE WITHOUT CONTRAST: HISTORY: Chronic low back pain....

Last reply
  • Recovery from Cauda Equina Syndrome

I wanted to share a story of my boyfriends experience with CES because I had never heard of it until he was diagnosed, I searched for information on how he might recover and read so many traumatic stories I was devasted.  I could not find any positive outcomes. For people who might be newly learning...

Last reply
  • How to know while waiting for MRI

Hi there. My advanced Physiotherapist  has referred me for an MRI of lumbar region due to what she suspects is sacral nerve compression and possible Cauda Equina  Meanwhile my GP has found a severe bacterial vaginosis infection and I’m on antibiotics. I’ve never had anything like this before....

Last reply
  • Recovering from CES surgery.

Eighteen months ago, I was diagnosed and operated on for CES. After the surgery, I have seen some great reliefs. The numbness in my feet have reduced drastically. Numbness in my saddle areas to have gone down. I have regained my erection but noticed that it does not stand for long. I doubt if I can have...

Last reply
  • Recovering from CES

It's been 18 months after I have gone through the ces surgery. Even though there have been some improvements, I still struggle to urinate and empty my bowels. I have to force to urinate and empty my bowels. I most often suffer from constipation and sometimes will not attend to natures call at all...

Posted
  • Recovering from CES

It's been 18 months after I have gone through the ces surgery. I can say that I have seen a great improvement over the periods. The numbness has reduced dramatically. I have gotten my erection but can't still stand for long even though I have not attempted having sexual intercourse. I can feel...

Posted
  • Worried about Cauda Equina

I do have significant DDD for my age (32) and also a lumbar herniated disc. I was given my first ESI that same day, the pain increased for a few days, then I was better for a few weeks where the pain was tolerable. About a month later, I had an even worse flare, had to go have another ESI the same day...

Last reply
  • Could I possibly have cauda equina syndrome?

I have had back problems since childhood. Five years ago at age 53 I had a lumbar laminectomy to relieve severe spinal stenosis. The surgery was successful; my pain evaporated and I had strength in my legs again. Almost a year ago I had gastric bypass surgery to lose the excess weight I blame on years...

Last reply
  • Confussed by possible diagnosis of ces

Last year on may 30 I had microdiscetomy on L5 S1 where "A large piece of the disc" was removed (I put that in quoates because that was the MDs exact words he didn't understand how I had went almost 7 months before coming to see him. At the begging of April I was helping do some yard work...

Last reply
  • Long term ces

I've had ces for 16 years I go for cystoscopy yearly check for bladder cancer as I heard long term use of intermittent catheter increases risk ? What annoys me most is the uncomfortable sensation when sitting for any more than 5 mins even on a padded chair and lying in bed on my back. The backside...

Last reply
  • My CES Story - 1 week in

Hi my name is Adam, 34 years old, and have been healthy, fit and strong for all of my life, never broke a bone or had surgery. My career is going great and I've been married to the most amazing women for over 4 years who gave birth to our first child, a beautiful baby boy on 18th November. For...

Last reply
  • Continuing upper back and neck pain 7 months after surgery

Hi again, first, thanks to everyone who replied to my post last month.  So frustrated. Still dealing with chronic upper back and neck pain, now seven months after surgery for Cauda Equina Syndrome. In February I saw my surgeon and a physiatrist. They both believe that my ongoing back pain is due...

Last reply
  • Cauda Equina - Compacted Blood Vessels

I have had CES symptoms on and off for a good few years.  Ankle, Leg, repeat UTIs and testicle infections. Has anyone any experience of CES caused by compacted blood vessels? I have had 4/5 normal MRIs which did not show any problem. I have been looking at previous EMG results and found sometimes...

Last reply
  • Still finding it difficult to pass urine and defecate

It's been ten months after I have undergone surgery for CES. Though the numbness that I experienced in my saddle area and legs have gone down, I still have back pain and also find it difficult to pass urine and to defecate. I am very worried. I need help please. Thanks

Last reply
  • My experience of Cauda Equina Syndrome

I thought I'd post about my experience of Cauda Equina Syndrome (CES) in case it's of any use to anyone. I'm a 30-year-old woman. In spring 2010 my lower back suddenly became painful. It didn't get better. Over the summer I tried various things - painkillers, the chiropractor, the gym,...

Last reply
  • Cauda Equina Slow Onset - Difficult Getting Diagnosis

I am having difficulty getting a diagnosis when I have all or most of the symptoms of slow onset cauda equina.   ( i.e. Calf weakness and urine retention.These cause a lot of bladder infections and foot problems.   I would like to hear from any other patient's who have had a similar...

Last reply
  • Pregnancy after Cauda Equina Syndrome

Hi there, I was diagnosed with CES in December 2012, aged 22. After having surgery at L5/S1 level i was left with no feeling in my saddle area which still stands today. I am now nearly 4 months pregnant with my first child and am just curious as to how my back will cope as i get bigger. Is there anyone...

Last reply
  • Does vomiting mean anything with CES?

Hi all, For background my story so far is here... https://patient.info/forums/discuss/could-this-be-slow-onset-ces--623935 In short I suspect I have a form of CES. Over the last two weeks there have been 6 or 7 occasions where I've just started vomiting out of nowhere. I have not felt ill...

Last reply
  • All the symptoms, no diagnosis

urinary retention began 13 days ago. Since then have had MRI W/o contrast of brain, and no contrast MRI of thoracic and lumbar spine. I do have mild herniation at L5/S1 but nothing compressing on caudical nerve bundle, I have saddle numbness, feet, pelvic and rectal numbness, I have been self cathing....

Last reply
  • CES and chronic back pain

Last August I had emergency surgery for a herniated disc impinging on my spinal cord. I now have Cauda Equina Syndrome and nerve damage causing numbness and weakness to my left leg, buttocks and foot, as well as some weakness and numbness to my right leg. I am lucky that my CES did not leave me with...

Last reply
  • ACDF

I have just had surgury called acdf c5 c6 c7. They found bone on bone no discs left. I had titiaum spaces put in then plates then a cage. It's 3 weeks today I still have dead arm with intense ache and pins and needs. Arm and right hand. As any one else had this surgury and the problem. I also have...

Last reply
  • Do I have Cauda Equina Syndrome ??

I am a healthy 19 year old girl but a few months ago I noticed a lump / swelling on my lower back but thought nothing of it. I started getting weird tingly sensations down my legs, feet, and bum at various times and locations. It started off quite rare and within the last 3 weeks has become extremely...

Last reply
  • New to CES

Hi all, 24 year old man started having some buttock and back pain in late September 2015 gradually getting worse for a couple of weeks dr’s and physio originally suspected a herniated disc (slipped disc) after mri in February turned out to be a rear form of spinal tumor called a clear cell meningioma!...

Last reply
  • Caude Equina Slow Onset Testicle Infection

I wonder if anyone has found themselves in this situation? I have had another testicle infection presumably caused by CES Slow Onset and self catheterising. The infection is not clearing. At the outset, I was given Ciprofloxacin and after 8 weeks my GP wanted me to stop taking it, despite the fact I...

Posted
  • Work related issues any advice or help appreciated

Hi this is my first time posting. Im currently in the process of returning to work after more than a Year of therapy after emergency surgery for CES. An i am having to do a bunch of paperwork like an accomadations form. Now i realise not very many people with CES have the ability to go back to work im...

Last reply
  • Cauda Equina Slow Onset - Getting A Diagnosis - Which MRI?

I have all the symptoms cauda equina including calf weakness and numbness, repeated bladder infections and a good few more. The incidents I started as sporadic and now almost everyday. I have found it very difficult to get a diagnosis about what may be causing the problem.  All the MRIs via my GP...

Last reply
  • A Test of S1

I recently did two tests to check for possible impingement of my S1 nerve root after being unable to get a diagnosis. The tests came from Dr Corenman's web site and involved walking 20 feet on tip toe.The idea is to check for lack of calf strength. I managed the twenty feet like someone doing a white...

Posted
Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.