26yrs old, Glimmer of hope for some CES patients. 12 months post operation

Posted , 7 users are following.

Diagnosed with CES aged 26yrs old, L5/S1 disc bulge. I was a healthy, football playing, gym go-er.

Over period of 8-10 weeks, severe loss of sensation in right leg, foot and buttocks. Also, retention in bladder and bowels, and sexual function. Severe pain in back and right leg.

I was rushed in to surgery to remove the part of disc causing the issues, after an emergency MRI scan (Having been turned away from A&E twice previously, over 3 weeks, and told just a sporting injury).

Now nearly 12 months post operation, and have re-gained full bladder, bowel and sexual function. Live 85-90% normal life, only exception is some nerve damage down right leg which means I can no longer jog/run (As can't push off my calf normally). But can walk fine, which is main thing.

Having read online about other CES experiences, and how terribly others have been left affected, hopefully this offers a small glimpse of hope that not all CES patients are left with life changing issues.

Keep up the physio and back stretches, makes a big difference to recovery.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I had urgent surgury in 2008 6 days that changed my life. ring me I can give u advice u were turned away twice I think u could win a claim. U have lost 15 to 20% of use in ur right leg. I think u have a chance of getting no win no fee. I was left for 6 days I lost bladder and bowel I got bags I have mobility issues. I sued and the hospital settled out of court 1.2 million I received. I have had other problem through this ces syndrome I had my bladder removed it was left in but went septic I have had 2 massive hernia operation I have had 2 colostomy revisions. . my back was left unstable last year I had c5 c6 c7 new spaces plates screws cages all in titanium. then 2 weeks ago I had massive back surgury I had everything done l3 l4 I had had disc trimmed I have had screws rods plate cages that move I have had my spine stabilised. it at to be done. I had 23 staple out today. the surgeon said he could see my nerve damage from the previous causa equine. I am the worst outcome ces in the UK.

I think u have a claim are u in the UK.

my mobile number is 074 25173840. text me 1st.

• Posted

Its been over a year now having cauda equina l5 -s1 the several times I've been in the hospital i 've had mris. done yet they've said i don't need immediate surgery and everyone including myself is. trying to push it off i went through giving birth this way too ( now 9mo) and that story is still up on my profile but my nerve pain affects my walking near the ankle i feel it all the time i also have the herniated discs in same spot and stenosis. I'm not sure how much longer it'll be this way i'm still hoping theres a cure for me without surgery I do pt & traction and would like to go back to a chiropractor. I believe nothing is impossible ...

• Posted

Thank you for giving me hope. You have made me to believe that afterall no matter how long it will take i will definitely get well someday. I am also gradually getting their. i am now having an erection just that it does it stand for long and not too hard for sex. i have gotten my urinal and bowel back but i strain to urinate and also seriously suffering from constipation. There is still some minor pains in the surgery area so though i wake now, i still limb small. sometimes i do feel that may be i may not get better again because it is 1 year and 11 months after my diagnosis and surgery. But with what i have read from you being your experience as far as recovery from CES is concerned i am so sure that i shall also get there soon. Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. BUT i still have to force i urinate. What advice do you have for me? Thank you

• Posted

EriOklah

Hi Eric ... I have retention issues as well and what I do is every 90 minutes I go pee. Sometimes

it takes a bit to go, but most times I'm ready, it sure beats having to self catheter.

Constipation is a whole different game. I have no answers, suggestions or hints. If you find the

answer, please share! Be well!

• Posted

Hi Jason, I've had to work around the constipation thing. I had surgery 12/29/18, so 11 months post op. The hospital attempted to train bowel movements by digitally stimulating the rectum manually with gloves & lubricant. Initially it was 30sec x3 twice a day. Also was on mirallex daily and 2 senna tabs twice a day. My bowels have a mind of their own and I ended up doing this myself, as it was too painful when done by others. I was able to have an occasional movement while in the hospital. At home, I stopped the mirallex as it gave me loose stools. After about a month, I came off the senna tabs and relied on using gloves, lubricant and dibucaine to gently remove whatever stool might be present in my rectum every morning. It may sound gross, but I'm able to schedule my life without worrying about my bowels. I've actually had 2 or 3 naturally occurring bowel movements this month and am hoping that the future may be more normal. The other benefit to doing things this way, is that I don't strain or push too much. I have internal and external hemorrhoids that are a problem if too much pushing is done.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.