CES advice please

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have suffered for years with back pain I knew when my pain went way above my pain level that things weren't right so got home visit. I should say at this point I am also suffering with bronchial problems which when the Dr came she immediately dealt with this even though she increased my pain medication. I also told her I had had a 3 day episode of not being able to control my bowel at all. Few weeks later I had to go Drs as pain was unbearable

I was there at 18.00 hours hospital half an hour later saw registrar about 5 hours later in agony. After I was admitted with suspected spinal compression they couldn't decide whether to send me to Newcastle RVI but I was sent 18 hours later for MRI which showed I had a very large disc growth so was operated on for CES which by this time was urgent and major surgery. I don't know why it was missed or not considered over the last 5/6 weeks. Is someone at fault or was I just unlucky

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I had similar issues when I first hurt my back after a fall on 31/10/14 I was back and to to my doctors for 3 weeks everytime getting a different diagnosis/medication eventually I was taken by ambulance to the hospital on 18/11/14 to be told I need a MRI but they didn't have time to do it I would be put on a waiting list fast forward a few days 26/11/14 I was again rushed in by ambulance this time unable to walk due to the pain and numbness in my leg I was immediately sent for an MRI and was rushed again by ambulance to Salford royal hospital to have a diskectomy the following morning. Then in july/august 2015 I had to have the same surgery again after waiting 5 weeks to get another MRI I was again rushed in as an emergency on 3/8/15 to have have my surgery the next morning I was diagnosed with CES at my first review after my second surgery

• Posted

Thanks for getting in touch it's been so hard as it seemed I saw at least 5 people had to travel across the country for a MRI scan and within half an hour told I needed major surgery. My query is why aren't told about CES .After a few weeks I rang foŕ a home visit and was told after lunch however within 20 minutes a doctor turned up mu feeling was he saw CES on my record and raced round but why dont every surgery have knowledge of this.My consent form was so scary but I had no choice and the registrar was so good but would have been nice if all the other people knew about it. I hope you are well now.

• Posted

They were at fault have u bowel and bladder problems now.

I am a expert on ces I am one of the worst outcomes I wont go in to detail as this is about u. I was left for 6 days in major compression I had 2 disc that had bulges out and welded together they had broken off and wedge at the bottom of my spine which was crushing the nerves when they done a MRI scan they sent it to kings in london . then in the middle of the night I was taken from my hospital bed and under blue light ambulance transferred to kings straight to theatres . I have suffered I was told they done the decompression but I would not have bowel and bladder functions

The neurosurgeon was right at first I tried but first the bladder I had a subpubic catheter then a permanent colostomy stoma. the in 2012 I had a ileal conduit stoma done so I now have 2 stoma. I have had 5 operation on the I at to have my bladder removed as it we t septic then I had to big hernia operation I have had 2 colostomy stoma revisions all this I would never had. I never claimed compensation for all these extra things. I also have mobility issues I have 2 unrelated operation on c5 6 7 plate cages top of my neck spine the discs had gone the last Nov I had a routine mri scan showed I had another compression I was straight in the after 7 hours had put rods plates and cages that move the have done all the bottom.

I still suffer terrible nerve pain and this last op as done me I am not recover well. 11 ops in 11 years I was 50 been in hospital so many months I now am anemic as soon as I stop the iron pills it drops a man should be 120 at the moment I am 88 the say I have a bleed they cant find I lose fresh blood from my colostomy stoma I think it's that so I am going to see yet another consultant.

right I sued to parties a doctor urologist at a private hospital and a local hospital I used my house insurance I wrote to the hospital who answered through patients lesions officer then the solicitor took it over the sent me to every expert they could and home visits I had a barrister we had a big meeting with all the experts either there or on video link . he said the barrister if we did not have a case it would end in that room the urologist expert he made the case for us to go on. we also sued the hospital for those 6 days I had a expert in ae procedures. from 2008 until nov 2012. the solicitor done there stuff I run out of money so the carried on no win no fee we was at my house with I barrister and a higher up solicitor she got a call out the blue the hospital which was the weaker of the 2 action settled I held out the paid out 1.1 million they have been great they paid the fees as we walk hands up away from the other party. they also paid over half of the benefits I had in the 1st 5 years after that u dont pay any back things like what it now universal credit and mobility allowance pip now. it's funny I had worked for the hospital concerned for 11 years a few years before. the money is good but I had a good job in the mod I was going to retire at 55. I do have a nice house which we had a extra floor buit and the garage converted it a love house my wife who has been disabled for years is there my youngest daughter and her family live with us she is my care I get about. I also brought a nice caravan at Romney marsh on the kent coast.

right u have got to decide who u think as not acted quick as it used to be 48 hours it's now 24 hours. u got to talk to either a citizen advice or ring a solicitor who dos no win no fee see if ur house insurance as it I had 100000 of cover they used a solicitor of their panel if u think u have been let down by more then one say so they listen by phone at 1st.i was lucky I had a big firm . called shoo Smith's.

so let the experts decide. I was lucky the hospital paid my legal cost and my solicitors cost so that help them come to over 300000. sorry it's been so long winded. yours keith I will talk by phone if it helps

• Posted

I still have pain every day and total loss of touch sensation in my leg/foot my foot is permanently swollen but I am managing to work part time thank god I am only 36 so didn't want to have to stop working if I could help it. my main issue was being told it would be unlikely I could carry another baby (I was 31 at the time) this sent me into depressionas I had struggled to have my son a few years earlier and eventually my depression took its toll on my marriageand we are now divorcing. i spoke to a solicitor and he looked at my case but I was eventually told I couldn't do anything with my case. in response to your question I hadn't even heard of CES until I was diagnosed with it after my OP

• Posted

I know how ur feeling. I have my right leg gos died without my stick I fall. I have nerve pain in both feet I still got sciatica and now this last back operation it was big . I start up straight then my back starts to bend I cant straighten. the pain it dònt help my op I had on c5 6 7

I get tingling it keeps me awake it wakes me it's bad enough my feet now I get bouts of restless legs that movement hurt my back. u do suffer depression did u feel u were let down what as the solicitor told u do u feel the let u down who as treated u.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.