1 month today

Posted , 9 users are following.

Today marks one month since my last drink.

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Well done Smile, may I ask you what method u have used to quit as I am running out of options lol xx
    • Posted

Cold turkey. I can't explain why but I just no longer have the urge or desire to drink anymore. Like it was just pulled out of me. It is hard to explain but I am just not interested anymore. I have had a couple days in the month where I REALLY wanted a drink but I just threw the thoughts into my imaginary filling cabinet at the back of my brain and replaced it with something else I enjoy.

I set up a system in case I can't control the desire and this is the plan:

1st-If I get an overwhelming urge to drink I have to contact my friend who is a speaker at A.A. (Alcoholics anonymous) first

2nd-I found a resistance to go to that takes women and always has a space available for urgent needs. It costs a lot but my health and getting rid of this bad demon is more important to me.

I am going to see my doctor A.S.A.P. to go on leave from work so I can heal. I am trying to stay strong and doing well but the longer I go without drinking the more I realize the why I was doing it and need to seek some counseling and fix my life once and for all.

• Posted

Well done you! From your post am I right in assuming you are a member of AA or is it just a friend you call who is a member.

You sound determined so Im sure you'll succeed. I wish I just didn't want to drink....not there yet with regards to this point.

• Posted

No. I am not a member of A.A. I have tried before and did not like it. Before every time I tried to stop drinking I had a painfully overpowering urge to want it. This time I don't. I do not know why but I thank whatever force that is out there that is taking this load off of my shoulders.

• Posted

Oh welll done Smile - I remember your filing cabinet system really well.

Your friend being a speaker at AA is like a Guardian Angel on your shoulder.  You really have put implementations into place. 

Very impressed.

Respect

Gwen x

• Posted

Hi Sharon. Thanks for asking. ☺Doing well. 6 weeks tomorrow. Got a 2 week leave from work from my doctor and hooing to extend that ig possible. He put me on effexor for anxiety. How are you doing?
    • Posted

Things with me could honestly be a lot better. Still a lot going on and it is a daily struggle right now. I know that the anxiety can be the worst thing ever...unless you have had it its hard to understand but i know where your coming from so good luck with getting sometime off to rest and well done for 6 weeks!! Pat on back big time because as we all know its not easy. xx
    • Posted

Your right about the anxiety hun - I have had it for years and hate it - panic attacks etc.  But then what makes anxiety worse - in one - alcohol.  So it is a lose lose situation.  Hard work but we keep on trying and trucking wink x

You will win this - I have faith in you.

• Posted

Yep, mine has been especially worse recently since they left. Really scared the p**s out of me (sorry for the expression). Deep breaths and all that, i found myself calmer after about 10 mins but it really was the worst i had ever had. Started worrying it was even more than an panic attack. Weird. Your right though about drinking, yes of course that does make it worse. Nightmare. You are brilliant as usual. Weather is great over here, whats it like with you? God im a big moan...would love to have the family here to enjoy it with. It rains in northern ireland all the time, so this is rare, trust me. Ethan cant make it today, but may see him after school tm (really hope so). I  suppose i am better than i was when they first left, in the first couple of weeks. Couldnt have been much worse to be fair. I am trying and yes that is the plan to win and have a better life in so many ways. xxx You are a great support to me,i can not thank you enough.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.