1 more week left to be in a cast

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I have a follow up with my ortho on September 27th to take the cast off for my trimalleolar surgery 4 weeks. What is usually done at this point? Or does it depend on well the xray looks to decide the next step? Just wondering...I am kind of excited to get my cast off and also anxious at the same time. Feeling restless in NM!! Any insight or advice is appreciated! Thanks 😁

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hey there,

Congratulations! You're so close! When I had my appointment to get the cast off, it was because they were going to move me into a boot. The appointment itself was pretty unglamorous because they just cut the cast off, put me in a boot, told me I had to continue to be non-weight bearing for 2 more weeks (until the follow up appointment), and then sent me on my way.

If you're going into the boot, heads up that it's heavier than the fiberglass cast. It's also quite bulky. The first few days I had my boot I was pretty disappointed because it felt like more a step back than a step forward. 

At home, taking care of my skin became the biggest priority. In the 6 weeks that I had been in the cast, that area of my leg had gotten quite disgusting. Lots of dead skin just stuck to you, (if you're a woman who shaves her legs) all your leg hairs grown out and about, and the skin actually being quite sensitive. Some of this gets taken care of slowly but surely as you start to shower and put soap and water on it. An ortho nurse gave me some great advice when she said not to shave the leg immediately after getting out of the cast because you'll really irritate the skin. So take care of it, moisturize, bathe, etc.

If you're non-weight bearing in the boot get ready to lug that thing around. If they let you start weight bearing WOOHOO! Get some practice in until you feel comfortable in the boot.

No matter what, it's important to remember that everything is a step (hah) in the positive direction. You've already broken your ankle, you can only get better from there! Best of luck with the recovery!

• Posted

Oh thank you! It feels like cactus in there in my cast...haha! I believe was in a boot before if it's the same thing but I was weight bearing than. Yup wish me luck on the next step! How is your recovery so far? Thanks for responding too 😊

• Posted

You’re in the home stretch!! At the cast removal, I was given a boot and nonwearing for another 4 weeks but could get my foot out and move it around some. After the 4 weeks were up, they did X-rays, gave me a walking brace for weight bearing, orders for PT’s, and that was it! 
    • Posted

How did you do after that? With the weight bearing?
  • Posted

Hi

I’m now 16 weeks post op. Had cast for 6 weeks NWB then boot. I was excited to go from cast to boot , it was a bit harder than I imagined. Make sure you take some pain relief. My foot was very flaky and needed some TLC and it was very therapeutic to be able to do that after the cast came off. I’m able to get about indoors with no aids and use one crutch outside - foot still swells, painful at times , everyday closer to recovery. Taking longer than I hoped it would but patience was never one of my virtues.

Enjoy your foot wash x

• Posted

What do you use for pain relief ? I take the 500 mg tylenol capsules or the generic version of it. Thanks

• Posted

I use comfrey cream to rub in

And zapain not as many as I did at the beginning only two at night and paracetamol throughout the day if I need it 

Good luck x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.