1 week after laparoscopic inguinal hernia surgery somethings not right.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Its been 1 week since my surgery it was on the right side and here and there a few times it's felt like i still have a hernia, like buldging in the spot down into the testical that goes away when i lay down but now today it really feels like it and when i stand up after a bit you can see the bulge puff up, i really hope its just air still trapped but it feels like intestine. Anyone else experience anything like this?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi its two and a half weeks since I had open surgery on an inguinal hernia and in the first week and a half I felt the same ! It's a lot better now but it's still there and I can feel a lump where the hernia was. It's taking time for me to feel ok so try to be patient. If you're really concerned ring your help number at the hospital.

• Posted

I've read lots of people who say they have a bulge or ridge at the surgery site for weeks or even months afterwards that makes them think the repair has failed but it turns out to be scar tissue, and it does go away with time. That's for open surgery, I'm not sure about lapro. Could be fluid like you say but I'd suggest calling the hospital just to be on the safe side.

• Posted

No but I imagine it will just be swelling from the surgery hopefully things will settle down just give it a few more weeks 
  • Posted

Well stayed in bed and it hasn't improved ive got an appointment to see whether its a failed repair and the hernia is back or if its a seperate hernia that we didn't notice or just air/ fluid filling the canal tomorrow

• Posted

Bradley please be very assertive with your surgeon . I wasn’t . And also was not told I had a mesh plug during my repair . It’s been a nightmare . I am female but they just kept giving me the run around . Tellling me it will be fine . No surgeon wants to touch me because of so called scar tissue . My quality of life has changed immensely . Please be diligent in your about your pain . I kept going back and then my surgeon left the state . I wish the best for you . 
  • Posted

The first two weeks are difficult but things get slightly better each day. A couple of times, you may think you just tore the hernia again, but that pain will quickly subside. I had testicles like jumbo eggs for three weeks but no pain there. I had to burn off some of the suture with a lighter. I think it's still a little early to draw accurate conclusions about the outcome of that surgery. In another week you'll be able to assess it better.

• Posted

Ok so last night it got stuck a couple of times and i couldn't get it to go back, finally it did and today when i went to the dr of course it decides it isnt going to do it anymore. He listened to everything i had to say about it though like how it felt coming down, the firmness, it getting stuck, and everything else so he did a cough test and said he couldn't feel anything that would be a seperate or recurrent hernia and that its more than likely fluid and it got stuck more than likely from pressure and irritation and to just keep an eye on it. That helps me feel a bit better but i still can't shake the feeling that somethings wrong so i hope im wrong and im just being paranoid.

• Posted

Go with your feelings . I knew something was wrong right away . I didn’t even know I had a mesh plug because he  couldn’t find a nerve . It been over three years . I had just become a widow so I really wasn’t in my right mind to fight back . I’ve done everything they have asked . I now I need a repair . Also found out much later that the Doctor was new to the office and the head surgeon was supposed be watching him and she wasn’t even in the room . I wish the best of you and everything might come out fine . But as time goes by and you are still in pain . Keep pursuing your need to feel better . Good luck 
  • Posted

Good luck with your appointment I have not got one for 4 month no one has checked me. Since surgery I feel this is not right has anyone else had to wait so long mine was a femoral hernia with open surgery 
  • Posted

Ok so problem kept getting worse so my surgeon had me get a CT scan and I do have another hernia, there's so much going on with it so couldn't tell if it's the old one or a new one, so I get to go in for open surgery in a week, yay me. Also I'm the first person my surgeon has had that this has happpened to.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.