1 week in on 37.5 Effexor anxiety spike and head aches

Posted , 4 users are following.

hey im new to this medicine and am on it for anxiety, i was wondering of the increase in my anxiety is normal? ive had two pretty decent panic attacks since starting it and just overall weird feeling in my head? ive tried a pile of ssris with almost no relief from them so the dr has me trying this medicine and ive heard alot of people have had success on it so i want to stick it out if the increase of anxiety goes down.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

They do say you are likely to feel worse before you feel better. The medication takes a while to settle in the system and the dose you are on is presently a low one to start with. I take 150 mg to manage depression, anxiety and chronic pain. I have been taking this medication for 2 years now and has given me a better quality of life. I take the extended release tablet. Even now I can feel in my head when the medication is taking effect. Its not a great feeling and lasts for some hours, but what I have found that for me once having had my tablet at breakfast it is better to move around so the medication is circulated around my body. This way I dont feel the effects in my head so much. I know its not easy but try and hang in there. Keep in touch with your doctor also.

• Posted

Hi Cody,

i was on this medication for about 10 years for anxiety. Venlafaxine has a really short half life so you are best of taking the modified / slow release version which I think is only available in 75mg or more. This will avoid the spikes in mood and anxiety. Alternatively you can take half a tablet in the morning and half in the afternoon. I would give it at least two or three weeks before you up your dose.

Ed

• Posted

ive since increased to 75, the anxiety spikes have gotten better but i notice now that i kinda have like no energy really. i dunno, i havnt really felt like my self since august of 2016 and im hoping that this medicine will be my answer for 10 yrs like it was for you lol. i do notice some decrease in patience since ive been on it tho. im not sure if i need to increase or try the mirt, ive heard that works well with this medicine.

• Posted

I felt low in energy for a while but it passes with time. You are probably tired because you have been running on adrenaline for a while and now you are finally relaxing.

Personally I wouldn't recommend Mirtazapine unless you are desperate.

• Posted

Just started on this. And it is not only this one but all SSRIs have caused me crazy headaches upon taking the pill. This also causes some tension to my head and my head feels kinda heavy and strange but lets see how it goes. I am on day 5. The first 10 years I was on prozac for most part and then in the end on lexapro all was good then suddenly started having headaches which seem to be quite the opposite what these pills are supposed to do!

I have found out that benzos do clear this a lot. It is quite strange and annoying but this is how it is. I guess over time either anxiety gets worse that these pills simply cannot handle all aspects of it or something else?

• Posted

ohh and I forgot to mention that SSRIs really helped me all of them . They pulled me out of the worst and everything but the headache thing I never understood and just did not go away no matter what unless I used some benzo. Even the less potent ones would clear the headaches.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.