1 week post-LIS, still in pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am a 21 M who has been suffering with an anal fissure for about 2 and a half years now. My fissure was relatively mild (stabbing pain after BM, however no spasms and pain usually went away after about an hour or so), however it is deep and has been persisting for 2 and a half years now. I had Botox injection done in March 2020, which relieved symptoms somewhat, however not to the point that I was healed. I had surgery scheduled in July 2020, however surgeon made a last minute call to give me a second botox injection, since he thought it healed so much from the first one and a second one would do it. Similar result. I had LIS one week ago today. I have had pain with almost every BM since then, however the pain feels different. It feels more like its from the surgical cuts than from the fissure, but I don't know how to be sure its not fissure pain. The Dr made the incision on the same side that I usually experience pain. I still have some light bleeding, but not too much. Has anyone had a similar experience? The pain really isn't that bad, its not really any worse than before and it feels different, I am just afraid the pain will not go away. Did anyone have surgical cuts that took several weeks to heal? Its not getting worse but also doesn't necessarily feel like its getting better. I have had some diarrhea post surgery, which caused me to stop taking a fiber supplement and a Colace once a day, so I'll see if that helps me in the next few days. The mental part of this is definitely hardest for me I struggle with anxiety and this has made things much worse and I'd just like to know if I'm still on the path to recovering. My Dr did not give me any real expectations for post surgery (all he said was I should feel better in 72 hours) and these forums have been somewhat helpful. Lastly I don't think the doctor put stitches in me however he didn't specify but does that make a difference if anyone knows.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I had LIS surgery 2 weeks ago today, and I had some diarrhea post surgery too which makes it painful to go. as soon as it was gone, I felt better going. don't worry the second week is going to be a lot better and less pain. day by day you will feel better and better. my doctor said he stitched up the incision for faster healing. don't forget sitz bath and walking for faster healing.

• Posted

Thank you so much for the reply. I have been doing sitz baths probably 5 or 6 times a day and I've been walking once a day as well. It did feel better this morning, with firmer BM. Thanks for the encouragement I hope your recovery goes smoothly.

• Posted

happy to hear it felt better with firmer stool. during the first week or so because of the pain and discomfort I was frustrated and hopeless and thought I have to live with this pain for the rest of my life, but now I'm 16 days post surgery and I don't feel pain at all, just a little discomfort . I've been walking every day since the day of surgery 2 to 3 times a day each time 1.8 miles. that helps a lot to heal faster. I'm a runner and have been running for 14 years. I hope your recovery goes smoothly.

• Posted

Don't worry and try to be patient, it's only been a week. It can take up to 6-8 weeks to heal. Just stick to a fissure friendly diet for at least 3 months. Try not to stress about it, stress just makes everything tense and tighten.

• Posted

Thank you! I have been improving significantly day-to-day now, I think I was just a little too in-my-head about it before.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.